Old July 5, 2001, 17:49   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Language Petition
About the off-topic... In a number of threads in the off-topic and this topic, the level of language is becoming quite offensive:
Examples:

The "Why Was Civnation Banned" section in Apolyton/Community... several people were using 'evil' cursewords in it, I find that quite offensive.

In various places in the off-topic, such as the "hardman" thread- several 'words' came up... (PS however I do know about the "hardman" joke- it is just that that particular thread illustrates the level of language that is happening in the OT)

Could the Moderators please enforce people not to say certain words that count as cursewords and are offensive.

Sometimes I visit Apolyton at a public site and WOULD RATHER NOT have a librarian looking over my shoulder reading those types of words and language when I am reading a legitamate thread.

Also, there has been some incidents of bad languange (not just #**# you) with the 'evil' words ***ed out, but with the real word present.

I do not appreciate this foul language.

Mark,Dan,Ming,et. al. please make sure that the usage of foul language is kept to a minimum. Thanks!

-DarkCloud
Old July 5, 2001, 17:56   #2
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
I think I can safely predict the direction that this thread is going to take....
Old July 5, 2001, 20:02   #3
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

RUN FOR COVER! It's a puritan strike!

Don't worry, he is just irritable as CGN is down and he has no one to ban. Hell, he even closed one of my threads over there, almost sparking an interforum war. Just one thread in my forum and it would have been *WHAM*

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 5, 2001, 23:24   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
That's a standard HARDMAN saying so it's hard to mention him without saying that.

At any rate the nasty cuss words are censored and most people have more sense than trying to get around the autocensor.
Old July 6, 2001, 01:46   #5
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 14:20
Hmm... language petition... "Petition to make Finnish the second official language of Apolyton"...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 6, 2001, 03:02   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 13:20
I was browsing through the posts in work, and a jewish person just happened to pass behind me when the avatar of GianCarlo was on screen...
Old July 6, 2001, 03:44   #7
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
I was browsing through the posts in work, and a jewish person just happened to pass behind me when the avatar of GianCarlo was on screen...
Then you should probably use the 'light version' of the site at work. It doesn't show the avatars.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:24   #8
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The light version does show avatars, but you can turn them off in the control panel.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:24   #9
Urban Ranger
Deity

That's just a non-issue. I don't think having the image of Rommel or even Hitler displayed on your browser means a thing.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:40   #10
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I don't think there is a problem. I am well known in my job for my ideas which have nothing to do with GianCarlo's avatar.
And I'm a friend with that person so it's ok.

Still turning off the vatars I will do because that way Apolyton will look more... scientific and work related
Old July 6, 2001, 07:21   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

*Threadjack complete*

DC, some of us are not quite so bothered about naughty words. They are just that, words, noises. Why do you find them so offensive? Indoctrination? The more you hear them, the more hardened to them you will become...so don't worry...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 6, 2001, 08:28   #12
Winston
Emperor

PH, that's one of the worst justifications I've ever heard. You could say the same about observing children starving to death or totalitarian regimes conducting genocide. Numerous wrongs don't make any rights for all I know.

I agree with the message of DarkCloud's post although I don't percieve it as big a problem as he does - but his observation is correct and I for one respect it...
Old July 6, 2001, 10:18   #13
Paul Hanson
King

I think that tolerance is the key word here. On a forum with this many posters, representing a large number of different social backgrounds and beliefs, there is bound to be friction on certain issues, in this case bad language. The best thing you can do is to tolerate such things, or if you find them that offensive, ignore them altogether. You do have a choice as to whether you look at them or not; no-one is forcing you to.

Last edited by Paul Hanson; July 6, 2001 at 10:42.
Old July 6, 2001, 15:43   #14
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

I do not appreciate foul language... in real life or on the internet.

However I will accept, to a point language that someone censors

Example: "shut the #*#* up"
However, its context is still angry... If posts like this happened a lot from one poster, without that poster ever saying (sorry I'm having a bad day) or (I'm just angry at you for that post- I wish we could see eye to eye later) then that poster should be warned.

I do my best not to look at the words- but they have been coming across in more parts of the forum that I read... they have even come in 'nice' threads where someone says "that's a real ****** idea." or something of that sort (without the ***'s)
Old July 6, 2001, 17:13   #15
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 07:20
DarkCloud:

We have done a considerable amount of work in filtering out words that are considered "across the board" or offensive. Unfortunately, there are ways that people can get around those methods.

We are always looking for ways to improve technically to eliminate the use of offensive language while not cracking down excessively on free speech -- it is a fine line and not one that can be drawn to any kind of consensus. We monitor the forums as diligently as possible, but we may miss something.

My recommendations are as follows, and I'm sure Markos and the rest of the ACS staff would agree me: if you are concerned about the level of profanity in the Off-Topic forum and are accessing the site from a local library, be diligent in choosing threads based on subject line. If you find a thread that you find particular offensive, email us and we will look into it privately.

-------------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 7, 2001, 03:06   #16
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
DarkCloud:
We have done a considerable amount of work in filtering out words that are considered "across the board" or offensive. Unfortunately, there are ways that people can get around those methods.
So why don't you make your methods more sophisticated?

How hard is it to convert all A to Z and a to z to the real char before the censor is activated?

Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; July 7, 2001 at 05:12.
Old July 7, 2001, 04:09   #17
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
How hard is it to convert all A to Z and a to z to the real char before the censor is activated?
care to explain that a bit more?
Old July 7, 2001, 04:31   #18
spartak
King

Can the mods also avoid inappropriate language?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...3&pagenumber=2
Old July 7, 2001, 04:51   #19
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 03:20
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Well, if the current avatar (at that time) is still Erwin Rommel, then that Jewish person shouldn't feel too bothered. Rommel's wife (Lucie Molin Rommel) was half Polish, her uncle was a somewhat prominent Catholic priest who opposed the actions of the SS/SD and was murdered by the Nazis, and in the North Africa campain, after taking a primarily Jewish brigade prisoner at Bir Hacheim, he defied SD standing orders to segregate Jewish prisoners and turn them over to the SD. They were instead mixed anonymously in with all other British Eighth Army POWs. Rommel also refused the request of white British officers to have segregated facilities for the "colored" troops of the Eighth Army (there were Indian, (soon to be) Pakistanis, and South African units among the Eighth Army troops. What's surprising (no doubt due to ignorance about his actions) is that Gian picked a Rommel avatar. If it's another one, then he's had more than a few.
Old July 7, 2001, 04:56   #20
spartak
King

Thanks for addressing my point MtG
Old July 7, 2001, 05:13   #21
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

ooops - hit the edit button in the above post by mistake
Quote:

So why don't you make your methods more sophisticated?

People can embed HTML tags with nothing in between them, use spaces, etc. - there are lots of possible permutations for bypassing the censor feature. Then creative mispe!!ings and vâríàti0ns. If people want to bypass it, they'll find a way, unless we do several dozen (at least) combinations for each censored word.
Old July 7, 2001, 05:14   #22
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasmaske
Thanks for addressing my point MtG
What point was that? All I see in the hardman thread is Kitty's lame joke that hardman became a poly mod.

Since I hadn't posted in the thread, you linking to it in your post indicated to me that you were addressing someone else.
Old July 7, 2001, 05:59   #23
spartak
King

Sorry wrong link
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=21988

Do you really have to use terms like W*****R?
Old July 7, 2001, 07:45   #24
MattHiggs
King

Do you really have to use terms like AC*L?
Old July 7, 2001, 08:23   #25
Urban Ranger
Deity

Re: Sorry wrong link
Quote:
Originally posted by Gasmaske
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=21988

Do you really have to use terms like W*****R?
What <em>are</em> you talking about?
Old July 7, 2001, 09:55   #26
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
care to explain that a bit more?
As the censor checks for bad words in the posts by searching for them a way to go around this is to use the HTLMcodes for one of the characters instead of the real characters. in HTML you write &amp;#ASCIInumber; to get a specific char. (I think &amp;ASCIInumber; works in some browsers).

The ASCIInumbers 65-90 is A-Z and 97-122 is A-Z.
By replacing them with the real char before the check will avoid some words slips past.

for example the thread 'A "bulls&#104;it generator" should provide future techs' form the Civ 3 forum can be written without Censor if you replace any of the chars with the HTMLcode. In this case I replaces 'h' with "&amp;#104;"

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
People can embed HTML tags with nothing in between them, use spaces, etc. - there are lots of possible permutations for bypassing the censor feature. Then creative mispe!!ings and vâríàti0ns. If people want to bypass it, they'll find a way, unless we do several dozen (at least) combinations for each censored word.
That is true. I know there is ways to check for words ignoring HTML-tags but they would take some time to run. And using spaces is almost impossible to stop without ignoring spaces in the check, but then would a lot of other words be censored (English Italy and German is languages would become Engli** **aly and German is languages) and that isn't good. To that comes other fill up chars as '-'. So you are right you can't stop everything, but the more you stop the less bad words will be in the forum.
About mispe!!ings and vâríàti0ns there is nothing that can be done. The only thing to do about that is to add to the rules of the forum that try to get around the censor (in any way) would be punished.

PS. Why did you edit my post?
Old July 7, 2001, 10:07   #27
Winston
Emperor

Quote:
PS. Why did you edit my post?
It was a mistake, as MtG stated in the subject of his 11:13 post.
Old July 7, 2001, 10:15   #28
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
It was a mistake, as MtG stated in the subject of his 11:13 post.
That was why nothing had changed...
I missed the subject as I was writing a response to Mark and I saw MtG's post in the Topic Review (No subjects).

The server must have been down again as is seems as if MtG posted before Mark.

Winston How did you know I used GMT+1...
Old July 7, 2001, 14:21   #29
spartak
King

Re: Re: Sorry wrong link
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What <em>are</em> you talking about?
well MtG posted

It's only a few of the pathetic wankers.

I presume that Wanker is now official 'Poly language.

Can a mod confirm that I can use Wanker?
Old July 7, 2001, 14:22   #30
spartak
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MattHiggs
Do you really have to use terms like AC*L?
Where did I refer to ACOL?