Old July 5, 2001, 20:13   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why is there no Firaxis update?
Sorry if that has been discussed already, I didn't follow the forum very much in the last 2 months.

Isn't it weird that the civ3 page hasn't been updated since 11-05?
I now I read here about a possible delay - has anything happened?
Old July 5, 2001, 20:34   #2
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 06:20
o well maybe the guy incharge of the website died or something..
Old July 5, 2001, 22:39   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:20
You've obviously never tried to edit a Website. It's almost like quantum physics, it's THAT hard.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 5, 2001, 22:45   #4
shum00
Chieftain

Well they've managed to do it before...
Old July 5, 2001, 22:52   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

...and it cost them dearly in over-time pay and advanced research...if only they had a Wizard...

Old July 6, 2001, 00:25   #6
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:20
Quote:
You've obviously never tried to edit a Website. It's almost like quantum physics, it's THAT hard.
I don't know from experience but I seriously doubt that it's as hard as you make it out to be for Firaxis to update at their website.
Old July 6, 2001, 00:46   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Seriously. Rocket Science? Piece of cake. Compared to that, editing the wicked world of HTML takes near-genius levels of ability. Consider the line: "In this section, you'll find links to Civilization III-related sites, polls, and "Ask the Civ Team", where you can send in your questions and we'll answer a few of them each month."

Now imagine. There's not a poll to be seen. Also, you've missed February and already are behind on June. What to do? You could post something about that on the site or even just alter the text by saying "But hey...no promises!" But as I said, the man-power required is daunting. I'd say (just being conservative), editing HTML takes at minimum two Ph.D.s: One in Resume Padding and the other in Work Evasion. In most cases, it's most cost effective to face the difficulty simply by doing nothing. Stick with what got you the job, I say.

Afterall, it's a website. Who will see it anyway?

Old July 6, 2001, 01:06   #8
ContradictioN

What the?

You're being sarcastic rite yin?

I'm a webmaster, and it's as simple as pie to update a website. HTML is as easy as writing this post right now. It's all very straight forward. I'm sure Dan knows what he is doing. By looking at the site, he does!

The REAL problem, would be getting the 'update' ready to be updated. I'd guess he'd have to write everything he's gonna update down, then show it to Sid or someone who will work it through, and once they've agreed, Dan will update it, which might only take about 1 day to update, 2 if he's lazy like all webdesigners

quantum physics? wow, you make my job feel so much better than it really is

Old July 6, 2001, 02:56   #9
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

no civ3 update??

who cares? the trade wars server is down for over a week!!!

my guess is that the whole company is on vacation. which reminds me that i should be on vacation too....
Old July 6, 2001, 03:19   #10
LaRusso
King

i logged in this morning
11/5 in the lower right corner
i am starting to lose my sanity....awwwwwwwww
Old July 6, 2001, 03:45   #11
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 21:20
Yes, Yin is being sarcastic!! And, might I say, its pretty damn funny!!
Old July 6, 2001, 03:58   #12
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 14:20
What? They're devoting the time they should be using for updating for the website to make Civ3 better? ? Don't they think of us players?
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 6, 2001, 04:09   #13
Zealot
King

Local Time: 12:20
Very funny... :LOL:
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
no civ3 update?? who cares?
You know, there might be someone whose job depends on new info... If there is no info, what's Apolyton for?
Old July 6, 2001, 04:14   #14
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

"Quick! We're having trouble with this AI algorithm. Send in the Web Wizard!"

The Web Wizard? He's, ummm, our Web guy...

"But he's found a way to make updating the Website absolutely efficient and virutally non-taxing on human CPU-cycles, right?"

Not updating a site will do that, you know...

"Well, we need a way not to update our AI, too. It's a tricky problem, one we're ready to pay top-dollar for. Get That Wizard!"

Let me call his desk.....no answer.

"God, the man is brilliant!"

Old July 6, 2001, 05:02   #15
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
Dan is:
  1. dead
  2. comatose
  3. on vacation
  4. on a very long vacation

Take your pick.
Old July 6, 2001, 05:17   #16
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Re: Very funny... :LOL:
Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
You know, there might be someone whose job depends on new info... If there is no info, what's Apolyton for?
discussion on the lack of info

besides, if firaxis keeps publishing new info, how will dan and i find time for a vacation?
Old July 6, 2001, 05:30   #17
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

I think it's more like this:

Dan: Sid, I've my concept update ready, it contains like you asked me the complete AI guide and an explanation about the minor civs. Besides that I dropped some notes about combat and a complete list of all units including their possibilities. Oh, and I've made a cool simulation about the MP style our server will have ! Do you think we should include the 200 MB beta as well, or just the light '100 MB' version ?

Sid: Hell, wait a minute, that yin26 dude is almost exploding, if we give him some AI info he might cool down again and that'll be a big pitty since I would like it that much to have him collapse about our infallable AI !

Dan: But I've done my stinky best on it ! You know Sid, I've worked on for 4 complete days to include animated city view in which you can see the workers build up whatever you're constructing, it's sooo coool !

Sid: Yeah, that might be true, but I just hate those bunch of Apolyton dudes that are always sending in new ideas etc. You know, since Civ has been released back in '91 I've never had an easy moment. Always I had to read through hundreds of emails and so. And that yin dude later came with that sick list of him. I haven't talked to my wife for 4 long weeks because I had to read through those pathatic ideas !

Dan: But why shouldn't I post an update on the number of civs that'll be in one game ? I've read on the msgboards that they're crying for an answer to that !

Sid: Good for them ! Let them sleep in worries ! BUWHAHAHA I'll punnish them for their eternal mourning.

Dan: *crying* but the interactive section in what fans can ask whatever question and our improved AI will generate a perfect answer, to show how good the AI is, and to provide them with info, let me post that one at least on the website !

Sid: NOOOOOO the defending of our cities is...... uh I mean too much info is no good. It's so funny to read through those threads and to see what kinda pathatic ideas they have about our current developping ! They even think the game is gonna be TBS ! They're soo foolish ! That remembers me we should put an 'Apolyton - NO' sign on the box when we release it !

Dan: *whiping tears from his face* but what should I do then ?

Sid: come over here and play another game of Sim Golf with me. That game is SO good !
Old July 6, 2001, 06:01   #18
TechWins
King

No no no. It's more like this.

Dan says "Yeah just give me one more" to the waitress. Dan then looks over at his wife and says to her "Ahhhh, aren't the Bahamas beautiful. We should stay here for a couple more weeks". Dan's wife says "You know what it's been almost two months since we've been here and I think the kids might be wondering where we're at". Dan says well "We left them a note that told them to just go eat over at the neighbors". Dan's wife "Plus you need to go back to work". Dan says "Oh no, I don't have to work anymore. I'm just waiting until those stupid people at Apolyton figure out that I'm only waiting to update the site until they say sorry to me. As soon as they sorry I'll start posting updates and answering questions on the Civ3 site again.". Dan's wife says "Say sorry for what?" Dan says "They kept on coming up with all these good ideas and it's hurting my feelings. Can't they ever just say, hey good job Dan on Civ3" Dan's wife says "I'm sorry honey". Dan says "It's ok at least I don't have to work". Ring ring ring. Dan answers his cell phone, it's Sid. Sid says "Where've you been Dan?", in an angered voice. Dan says "Well am am I'm at the Bahamas". Sid says "The Bahamas huh. That sounds fun. Maybe the rest of the team and me will go down there. I mean we just pushed the date back on the release for Civ3 so we could have a bunch of parites down at the office. You should have seen it. In one of the parties I got so drunk, well anyways that doesn't matter I won't go into that. I mean we have a couple more months before we need to work on Civ3 again. I mean we can always push back the release date again. We'll all be done there in a couple of days. So see you then." Dan says "Ok bye". Dan's wife says "Who was that?". Dan replies "Oh it's Sid and the gang. I think they're going to come down here soon. So we got another couple of months here." Dan's wife says "Oh that should be fun". Dan says "Yeah it's not like we have anything important to do".
Old July 6, 2001, 06:02   #19
TechWins
King

Yes, I just turned into a Prince. A good way to do it to, with that long post.
Old July 6, 2001, 06:14   #20
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

You could have just got a princess to kiss you, you dirty frog

Well yeah, it would be nice to have an update. But this is probably what Firaxis are playing at, they are using anticipation in their favour. They see us eager and desperate to find out more about the game, and the more they see this, the more they withhold, perhaps the odd tidbit of information thrown away here and there (eg, Civ3 on W2K, etc).

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 6, 2001, 06:21   #21
TechWins
King

Quote:
You could have just got a princess to kiss you, you dirty frog
Yeah, I guess so.

Quote:
(eg, Civ3 on W2K, etc).
I don't see why they wouldn't make it possible. I can even play Civ2 on W2K.
Old July 6, 2001, 06:21   #22
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
See, you guys care too much about the website updates, that's the problem

If more of you are like me, who couldn't careless if there's a website, then Firaxis would have been tripping over themselves trying to make their site as comprehensive and up-to-date as possible
Old July 6, 2001, 06:40   #23
TechWins
King

Quote:
See, you guys care too much about the website updates, that's the problem
Well, not really. I care more about the game than anything. I just like to hear new stuff about the game.
Old July 6, 2001, 07:30   #24
LaRusso
King

Well, SimGolf info is just as pathetic as Civ3 info. Actually, even more pathetic. Release date - Fall 2001. Do you see a pattern?

Rumours say that Civ 3 is going along fine, just like Dino - the team is currently switching between TBS and RPG.... (they discarded card game option).
Old July 6, 2001, 08:09   #25
Adm.Naismith
King

Dan Mahaga and the power of silence...
How can Dan ignore so many bait we throw at him?
We mentioned him, quote him, pray him, insult him, ignore him...

God, how strong is his mind, how good his training of spirit... voice are he's answering a call from Lucas to act as a master Jedi into next Star War movie.

Still wondering why he's short of time for updating Civ III site?

Best regards, Dan.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 6, 2001, 08:30   #26
LaRusso
King

admiral, very thoughtful
i join you in praising dan. now dan, you are our IDOL and please please post ANY update. pretty please
Old July 6, 2001, 08:39   #27
Zealot
King

Dan, could you please update th...

Dan:

Oh, sorry, I'll come by later!
Old July 6, 2001, 20:32   #28
JellyDonut
Prince

Sid: Dan, you're not going to tell anybody about Civ 3 MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Dam (tied to chair with duct tape over mouth): mmm..mm...MMMM!

Sid: leaves building and locks up

Dan manages to get the chair to the computer and begins updating the site using only his nose. He gets the duct tape off with his tongue and a corner of the desk and feeds off print-outs of all his e-mail complete with detailed responses.
Old July 6, 2001, 22:30   #29
ancient
Prince

html is a piece of cake, not at all hard but is there site in html? i never looked if itsn in php or like other languages it could be hard
Old July 6, 2001, 23:00   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

No, no... it is more like this:

Dan: Just one more turn!

Sid: Dan, those Apolytoners are going to crucify us if we don't update the site!

Dan: No... must crush Zulus...

Sid: *sigh*

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)