Old July 10, 2001, 06:45   #91
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A+ for not paying attention. If this doesn't mean anything to you, there's a language problem:

Quote:
"Ask the Civ Team", where you can send in your questions and we'll answer a few of them each month.
Dan's words. Yes or no? Fan's expectations? No. Dan's words? (I'll help) Yes. So, premise #1: Dan expects to have questions answered "a few of them each month." You with me so far?

Quote:
He will obviously update the site ASAP, not when you/fans want it to be up.
Ooops, unless, of course, Dan has already TOLD US to expect something "a few times each month." Hmmm, Contradiction is in trouble here, I think. Unless you now want to argue that what Dan actually posts on the site is in no way correlated to what will actually happen.

In which case, we agree. And in which case, I say: Fix the damn site, then!

Now you, Contradiction, being the stellar webmaster you claim to be, let me ask you: How long would it take to make the following:

Quote:
"Ask the Civ Team", where you can send in your questions and we'll answer a few of them each month.
...read...

Quote:
Look for a substantial update on the production site to be released as soon as we can!
Now, I want your professional opinion on that. 5 mintues? This change would also have the unGodly side-effect of having your entire argument make sense. Sadly, it doesn't.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 10, 2001, 07:05   #92
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:20
"a few of them each month" != "a few times each month"

Old July 10, 2001, 07:05   #93
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
Quote:
Originally posted by ContradictioN
Now you're saying, that he should post up on the site "I'm going to update the site in a few days"

Did he even do that before? with the previous updates? no of course not, and why should he?
Someone at Firaxis, be it Dan or another person, should be aware of and responsible for maintaining any commitments they make. The specific part of the site devoted to "Ask the Civ team" promises to answer a few questions every month. This is the first time that they have slipped in living up to that commitment by more than a few days. Under that circumstance amending the text or placing a short note on the site would seem appropriate.

I think we're all getting very heated over what is a pretty minor issue. Lets chill out and move on.
Old July 10, 2001, 07:22   #94
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, February was a no-show, but I see your point. I think most of us see the point, in fact, so I'm officially "moving on" this round...

Old July 10, 2001, 07:26   #95
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I'm officially "moving on" this round...
thank God.....
Old July 10, 2001, 07:27   #96
campmajor!
Prince

The problem with this issue is that Firaxis is in fact just a company that makes computergames! It is not so that they are a group of people that try to make the civ community happy...

They know that if they make a good game you will buy it! But to make sure that people know that civ3 is coming and that it will be as good and even better than all previous editions, they make a website.

Sometimes you see trailers of movies that actually shows all the good parts of the movie, so that there is nothing left to see anymore. I think Firaxis is trying to keep us hungry, while on the other side they are trying not to give away too much!

So let us wait till civ3 is released, how difficult that may be....
Old July 10, 2001, 07:31   #97
Jeje2
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
thank God.....
Have I missed something, or why is Yin = God
Old July 10, 2001, 07:33   #98
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Jeje: Yes, that was a recent news item. You missed it?! LOL (...mouth is zipped...I left the ring...)

Old July 10, 2001, 08:19   #99
LaRusso
King

yin, i am asking this in a very friendly way: (i hope it gets through)
aren't you a bit ODing on CIv3? I mean, you have like 100 posts today, you are in Korea, you do not sleep, you post pm, am, any time, comment here, comment there....man, i do read apolyton all the time but you are a real phenomenon.
on the other hand, all that fanaticism may scare firaxis guys so we may even get a hint when an 'official' site will replace curren (unofficial, i guess) one....
Old July 10, 2001, 08:30   #100
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LaRusso:

Since your question has nothing to do with this thread, I feel I can safely answer. I go through long periods of no posting. Then a certain environment will create itself, like today, which makes me post a great deal. First, I have a terrible cold and can't do much but sit here and not sleep (but I *did* get my work done today, barely LOL!). Then, a certain poster showed up (O.K., Dan) who made me have dejavu.

Anyway, most likely I'll soon go into hibernation and Markos, and Dan and Contradiction and a whole host of people will be able to surf in peace.

Old July 10, 2001, 08:30   #101
wotan321
Warlord

Local Time: 06:20
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
if i have learned one thing over the years about the people who have worked on civ games(from both firaxis and activision) is actually two things

1) they really care about their work
2) they cant always say everything they would like to say
Ugh.... yes, your restraint is admirable and understandable. Yin is righteously ventilating all the frustration gamers feel while eagerly anticipating this game, but the folks at Firaxis are working from an agenda a bit different from ours, so we should take that into consideration. I think their track record shows they know what they are doing in developing and marketing a game, and we can see from the thousands of posts on these forums that they (nor anyone) could possibly do enough to make us all happy. More info would have been nice, but I don't know if any amount could have been enough for me.

So lets get back to the game, and be glad they listened to us and responded at all.
Old July 10, 2001, 09:08   #102
jglidewell
Warlord

Local Time: 06:20
The one thing I Don't like is the feast or famine of updates.

It kind of makes me feel bolemic.

Look there is news that there will be news. And now a word from our sponsor. Its called a news teaser.

I feel sick, as finger goes down my throat.
Old July 10, 2001, 11:52   #103
Zealot
King

Have manners!
You know, I think there are people that are overreacting a little. Like anyone at Firaxis has any obligation to keep us informed!
I saw many rude words and acusations, something that I never thougth I see here, a place where people have been sharing info in a very pleasent and funny way! And the worst part was after Dan had the simpathy to say why there is a delay on the web page. To accuse someone of lazyness is something really LOW.

Thank God we're moving on... (No, it's not Yin I'm thanking)

I saw many good "jokes" on this thread (hope you liked mine), but some posts were not pleasent to be accused for.

Anyway, thanks Dan. I appreciated those little news you gave, and keep up working.
Oh, btw, writing text on a web page is something that is really fast, it's true, but that is if you already know what to write, where to write, and in which font and size to write!
Old July 10, 2001, 12:55   #104
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 11:20
As I've stated before in other forums, patience is a virtue. You can't call us customers yet, even though we're all undoubtedly going to buy the game.

A good parallel is that of building a house. Yes, you could lean some sticks up against a tree, but it's not going to be very good protection against the elements. Alternatively, you can lay a good foundation and build a strong house of beams and brick. Not only will this be more functional, but it will also be more attractive.

I don't know if anyone has ever worked as a web designer, particularly for a company, but it is one of the most bureaucratic processes available. It is not "just throwing some html code up". It's a design process that goes through every level of the company. Why do you think Bill Gates personally reviews every Microsoft commercial before it airs? Because these things are the face that a company presents. The original MOO3 webpage was a pile of garbage, horribly designed and unintuitive. The new page is a billion times better.

Old July 10, 2001, 18:31   #105
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

(...must...not...post...)

Old July 10, 2001, 21:47   #106
Sabre2th
King

Everyone here needs to relax. Firaxis is doing all they can and, as many have said, they are under no obligation to give us anything.
Old July 11, 2001, 03:50   #107
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
Everyone here needs to relax. Firaxis is doing all they can and, as many have said, they are under no obligation to give us anything.
arghhh! they are, they are! not only do we demand a perfect game that needs no patches, daily updates until release, but we also ask for under USD30 price tag and free shipping overseas! anyone supporting my maximalistic demands?
Old July 11, 2001, 03:55   #108
campmajor!
Prince

I don't care if it is us$300,
just make it the best civ experience ever!
Old July 11, 2001, 06:55   #109
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
they are under no obligation to give us anything
Correct, but it is common courtesy to try and hold to your commitments. A short note saying that "Ask the civ team" was not going to be updated would have sufficed. It has all been blown way out of proportion, but that just reflects the pressure cooker atmosphere of a news blackout as we approach the earliest potential release date with rumours of delays circulating.