Old July 6, 2001, 07:37   #1
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 07:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Kyokujitsu: Open Beta
Since so many people are dying to get at it, I'm just going to let you guys download my work so far on Kyokujitsu. Hell, maybe somebody will actually give me some feedback.

So as a condition of downloading, you'll have to give me some feedback.

http://darthveda.tripod.com/kjitsu.zip

(3.04MB)

post whatever you like in this thread
Old July 6, 2001, 08:24   #2
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 12:20
I'm curious - I really want to take a look
Hy Veda!!!!!! I'm really curious to take a look to your work, even if i don't have ToT- maybe i can give you some tips...

Edit N° 1 ) Why can't I download anythin'?

Edit N° 2) Arrgghhh... because I'm downloading Pacific General from Underdogs right now... I can't download anythin' more than that games . All of the two lines are busy... I'll try later.

Edit n° 3) Done!!! I'll give you a feedback via e-mail ASAP!!! BTW if you want to take a look at Pacific General, you can download it at Home of the Underdogs...

Last edited by Prometeus; July 6, 2001 at 09:09.
Old July 6, 2001, 12:02   #3
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:20
Looks good, DV. I'm just leaving for holidays, but I'll load it onto my laptop and try to take a look over the next couple of weeks. Here are some 1st impressions and Q's.

Map 3 has tundra and glacier images where swamp and forest should be. There are no railways in North America; I don't know if it matters. Japanese cities don't start with garrisons; is this for a reason? Port Edward should be renamed Prince Rupert. The city of Vancouver is missing; it should be 4 squares north of Seattle and about the same size. There was (and still is) no coastal road between Vancouver and Prince Rupert. The access to PR is from the interior. This would make a difference to the defense if the Japnese ever attempted an invasion of the west coast of Canada.

The units look good, so do the events. This is going to be a long game, eh?

Why are there two Soviet civs? BTW, nice dialog and city bmp.s. The readme doesn't say who made them, or how to install them. Can the bat. file be modified to change them in the main directory?
Old July 6, 2001, 13:12   #4
DarthVeda
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
Map 3 has tundra and glacier images where swamp and forest should be. There are no railways in North America; I don't know if it matters. Japanese cities don't start with garrisons; is this for a reason? Port Edward should be renamed Prince Rupert. The city of Vancouver is missing; it should be 4 squares north of Seattle and about the same size. There was (and still is) no coastal road between Vancouver and Prince Rupert. The access to PR is from the interior. This would make a difference to the defense if the Japnese ever attempted an invasion of the west coast of Canada.
You'll need to run the first part of k.bat
Old July 6, 2001, 13:15   #5
DarthVeda
Emperor

Also if anybody has crash problems with the scenario, delete or rename the .spr files in the ToT\Original directory

For additional feel to the scenario, take the dialog.bmp that's in the scenario file and put it in the ToT\Original directory.

To play the scenario, you'll want to run a hotseat game and choose the IJN and IJA.
Old July 6, 2001, 19:15   #6
techumseh
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda

You'll need to run the first part of k.bat
I did.
Old July 7, 2001, 01:22   #7
DarthVeda
Emperor

Do you still have the Terrain sprites in your original directory?
Old July 7, 2001, 02:15   #8
techumseh
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
Do you still have the Terrain sprites in your original directory?
All my sprites are safely in holding folders, from which they can NEVER escape! And sorry, it's not map 3, it's map 0 - the one with Indochina and most of Australia on it. I've looked at the terrain bmp files, and there is no Terrain1.bmp. Is this intentional? There is a sTerrain1 bmp., but no order in the BAT. file to copy it as Terrain1 bmp. I have NO idea if this may have something to do with it, it's just a thought.

Anyway, I'm incommunicado for the next 2 weeks, so I'll read your answer then. Good luck.
Old July 7, 2001, 03:15   #9
DarthVeda
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh

All my sprites are safely in holding folders, from which they can NEVER escape! And sorry, it's not map 3, it's map 0 - the one with Indochina and most of Australia on it. I've looked at the terrain bmp files, and there is no Terrain1.bmp. Is this intentional? There is a sTerrain1 bmp., but no order in the BAT. file to copy it as Terrain1 bmp. I have NO idea if this may have something to do with it, it's just a thought.

Anyway, I'm incommunicado for the next 2 weeks, so I'll read your answer then. Good luck.
copy sTerrain1.bmp to Terrain1.bmp

hmmm.... wonder why that didn't write the file to begin with... have to change that
Old July 12, 2001, 13:47   #10
Alex Woehr
Warlord

Local Time: 06:20
I have played through it, and since I accidentally deleted the file where I recorded when I captured each city () I will post my likes and dislikes here. One note: lest you think I am a strategic marvel I have a solemn confession to make: I played it on an easier difficulty level! Now having gotten that out of the way...

*I can't begin telling what I liked best without mentioning the map. This map has totally vindicated the 2 years you've been working on it. The concept of horizontal maps will probably go down in scenario history.
*I liked the relatively few units in the game. Although it may seem like a lot, compare it to Red Front (ow! )
*I liked the good, well-constructed events files and all the great ideas in it (i.e. the Suchow flood).
*I liked the new method of units acquisition.
*I liked the separation of the Army and Navy and how both could assist in campaign objectives.

Dislikes:
*As historical, multi-file scenarios go, this one is slightly more inflexible than most because you are not able to pick which technology you want to invent next and that you are told strictly what to do and cities to capture next. If I understand correctly most historical scenarios are made not so you can repeat the successes of the past and not the mistakes but go far above and beyond what actually occurred. I would suggest adding a few more what-if events (i.e. capture of cities that weren't historically conquered or capture of cities earlier than historically) (you have some of that already) for the Xin Yus of the world .
*For some reason the A5M Conversion project didn't work. I built it in Hiroshima and nothing happened.
*I captured a few cities early like Tsining and Licheng and, thus, no events were triggered. I suggest making it clear that you are supposed to wait until Part 2 to capture them
*I am not the best Civ2 player in the universe (I'm probably much closer to the other end of the spectrum), but I had a relatively easy time in this scenario. I suggest toughening it up a little.
*I disliked the discrepancy in terrain in "map 1" (I suggest naming it Eastern Asia ) and "World" (I suggest Southeast Asia) (just kidding, I know you're working on it )

Great Job and keep up the good work!
Old July 14, 2001, 14:35   #11
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Finally..... Don't mind me, I'll be gone for some time now....
Old July 15, 2001, 05:22   #12
DarthVeda
Emperor

Where do you change the map names in ToT... I've looked in the txt files and can't seem to find it
Old July 16, 2001, 18:25   #13
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I know that this is a beta, but even a small concise intro blurb should vastly improve the scenario, at least from a player's perspective. And do you have a clue who the heck is running the hardliners and the reformists?
Old July 20, 2001, 06:37   #14
Alex Woehr
Warlord

Sorry, my Internet service stopped working for a few days
Quote:
Where do you change the map names in ToT... I've looked in the txt files and can't seem to find it
Hmm… I was hoping you'd know. Why don't you ask MaygarCrusader; his scenario Europe In Flames has different names for each map.

Last edited by Alex Woehr; July 20, 2001 at 06:43.
Old July 21, 2001, 00:02   #15
klesh
King

Uh-oh...
Hey Darth,

I've owned ToT for awhile now, just never installed or played it before (it was given to me). This scen sounds really cool so I installed ToT tonite. I dl'ed the .zip, and unzipped files just as I would with MGE(should I do something diffderent?). I put the dialog.bmp in 'Original' folder, loaded up the scen and this is what I get:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	huh.gif
Views:	69
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1146  
Old July 21, 2001, 16:40   #16
DarthVeda
Emperor

1) Are you playing a Hotseat Game?
2) Is your version of ToT version 1.1?
3) Are there .spr files in your ToT\Original directory? (If so, remove them or rename them).
Old July 21, 2001, 20:15   #17
klesh
King

I bet thats it...
1. Yes
2. No
3. I don't think so...

I bet it is because I am running ToT 1.0.0

Like I said... got it alooong time ago and just loaded her in yesterday. I presume there is a patch available here? I'll prowl around for it.

Boy, I've read some people really downing ToT. It doesn't seem that bad to me (first glance). The game is a tad darker, but I kinda dig those animated units etc.... Darth, are your's gonna be like that too!?! God, I hope so. And I read into the manual for a bit as well. It seems they have beefed up the possibilities for events code etc. Doesn't seem so bad to me...

I'll let you know if I find a patch and if I can get her runnin.

FMK.
Old July 22, 2001, 12:01   #18
klesh
King

Okay, I guess its pretty well known that you gotta have 1.1
I never bothered to listen to ToT news cause I wasn't playing it. So I am getting the patch right now. But what is this about .spr files? I located 79 'unit.spr' files in the 'Original' folder. Remove these? I have, but I will put them back in, run the patch, remove them to a holding folder and try the scen. I'll let ya know.

FMK.
Old July 22, 2001, 12:10   #19
klesh
King

Booyah!
Okay, that did it. I'll play it and see if I can get you some good feedback. Thanks for your help.

FMK.
Old July 22, 2001, 16:40   #20
klesh
King

Question...
Am I allowed to attack the allies in the early part of the scenario, or should I wait for later?

FMK.
Old July 23, 2001, 15:15   #21
DarthVeda
Emperor

House rules would dictate that you wait until December 1941.... but I haven't written events for that long into the scenario yet (I think I'm in Summer of 1939 with the writing...)

Of course it's kind of hard to write more while I'm working 12+ hours a day :banned: