Old July 6, 2001, 08:59   #1
RikkL
Settler

Local Time: 11:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pillbox and barbed wire modifications???
Okay. A couple of questions. Ever since ctp1 I've been trying to find a way to LIMIT access to my territory. I've seen the pillbox and barbed wire mentioned in the forums but I can't seem to get them to work. The barbed wire in the wwII mod doesn't seem to do anything. The movement rate it shows is the same as for plains or grasslands. Not really useful. The pillbox just seems to be a fortification that allows units in it to bombard. I havent tried it enough to know for sure. Now the questions. Is there a way to make the barbedwire have a negative effect on movement? Is there a way to set the pillbox up so that it is more like an automatic gun emplacement with a zone of control and a lower maintenance cost than surrounding your empire with troops?

Last edited by RikkL; July 9, 2001 at 08:26.
Old July 6, 2001, 09:37   #2
RikkL
Settler

also
Also, Am I right in assuming that the support coefficient under the govern.txt file is what determines the support cost for units? I want bigger armies. So far I have triple the cost for techs, (seems more realistic to me than getting a new technology before you can even manage to build a few of any kind of unit.) I changed the ending year from 3000 to 10000 to compensate for the longer tech times. I tripled the size of the map, Upped the civs to 15, and doubled the number of cities allowable under each type of government. Just a few more tweaks and I'll have my perfect game. Anybody have any other ideas?
Old July 15, 2001, 12:09   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:20
The graphics of pillbox and barbed wire are only available in the WW2 scenario. Therefore you have to replace the default gt565.til file in the ..\ctp2_data\default\graphics\tiles\ directory by the ww2 version of this file. Than you have to replace the tileimp.txt by the ww2 version in the ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ directory. The alternative would be to coppy the last two tilimps to the default tileimp.txt. I would do it, because I don't know how many more difference is in the ww2 version in comparision to the default version.

Take a look on the end of this file. You will find there a line for the barbed wire:

MoveCost 1000 I think this will modify the move points that a unit needs to pass. Unfortunatly air planes are also effected by this line the result was a crash as I tried to move a plane on over such a square.

The pillbox is a little bit more complicated, because it is a combination of unit and tileimprovement. Therefore seach for a file called scenario.slc in the ..\scenario\ww2\scen0000\gamedata\

Copy everything related to the pillbox into a new *.slc file like pillbox.slc.
Put this slic file to the ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ directory and open the script.slc and add after the last line #include "pillbox.slc". Maybe the code of the *.slc file must be a little bit modified. But I think it should work at first.

Now you have to add the pillbox unit therefore I would coppy about the pillbox from the ww2 unit.txt to the default unit.txt.

Finnally you need some images and entries for the Great Library. For the images coppy the Barbed wire and pillbox stuff from the ww2 uniticon.txt to the default uniticon.txt and the stuff from the ww2 Great_Library.txt to the default version of this file.

I hope that is all. If not here the right tread to ask.

-Martin
Old April 13, 2002, 18:45   #4
RikkL
Settler

Ok, I started this thread about a year ago and have been away from the borads for quite a while now. I never got this to work but I'm curious if anyone else ever got anything similar to work or not?
Old April 15, 2002, 13:22   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:20
What was exactly your problem, adding barbed wire and the pill box just as tile improvements and the pillbox unit or getting to work the barbed wire and pillbox slic code to work, I just checked the code and it looks that it needs some more modification to get it to work in a standart game.

-Martin
Old April 15, 2002, 13:45   #6
RikkL
Settler

I just posted a new thread for slic programmers to help me when you replied. I get both mods in but pillboxes just act as glorified forts, still need a unit there. Barbed wire doesn't seem to have any negative effect on movement at all. If slic will allow a unit to be created when pillboxes are built then i could add a stripped down machine gunner (no movement, etc) to make an automatic gun placement. This would be for later in the game when some kind of high end computers are discovered... or something to that effect. Same would work for barbed wire, just create a pallisade unit with no move, no attack and no zoc that has to be killed before invading your land.

Good to see you're still here too Martin. The slic is where I have a problem. I know nothing about it.