Old July 6, 2001, 22:11   #1
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Conformed!!! Size of Maps in Civ3
Well, I was at the apolotyn.com/news, and they have a quote that says what most of us have been long awaiting...map sizes!!!

Here it is:

"The maximum allowable size is the largest map size the new terrain engine can handle. None of the select world sizes use the maximum map size. Therefore, the standard game will not be on the map that is that large. However, you can creat custom world sizes (or even change the dimensions of the selectable world sizes) to create a map that is at least 6x the largest civ2 map size. Also, mod/scenario makers will be able to create maps that use the largest size." -Brietkreutz

Well, I didn't see any threads on this topic yet, so that is why I posted this one, so don't jump on me if there already is one.

In that quote we can clearly see that the single player campaign will not be playable on the largest map size, though we can play it on custom games and stuff. The thing that got me was that the largest size is 6x larger then the civ2 largest map, thats huge!!!

I am personally very glad, I always thought that the civ2 maps were way too small, even the largest one was not big enough for me.

And lastly, to those of you that thought that each square will be 200 miles across...think again.
Old July 6, 2001, 23:36   #2
joseph1944

> Wished Firaxis was reading this personal request >
Read the above thread.

Old July 7, 2001, 22:13   #3
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:21
"Conformed" ??
Old July 8, 2001, 09:07   #4
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:21
Create a map that is at least 6x the largest civ2 map size

I guess that means 60,000 tiles compared to 10,000. What's that a 245 by 245 map.

I would be interested to know the system requirements for the largest map size.
Old July 8, 2001, 09:29   #5
Executor
Warlord

Local Time: 06:21
Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
I would be interested to know the system requirements for the largest map size.
Probably lots of RAM, which won't be a problem for me: 384MB.
Old July 8, 2001, 09:45   #6
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 13:21
Loooong marches for my troops. A army of knights will be confronted by infantry with machineguns by the time they reach the enemy. I can hardly picture myself on such a gigantic map, maybe if i make it with a lot of water...

And executor, in the name of solidarity I would like (ie I demand) 214 mb or RAM from you.
Old July 8, 2001, 11:46   #7
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Loooong marches for my troops
Which makes scorched land strategy possible, if Firaxis decides to make such strategy possible.
This also allows more realisic guerilla warfare.
Old July 8, 2001, 12:32   #8
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:21
Quote:
Loooong marches for my troops. A army of knights will be confronted by infantry with machineguns by the time they reach the enemy
I presume that movement rates would also be greater at least for the later units.

It would also better reflect the regionally restricted projection of force issue. Roman forces would not have marched all across the Eurasian and African continents despite being the greatest force there was at the time. More recently, it wasn't until last century that Blitzkreig tactics could be implented.

It would also mean that global influence would be introduced when transport becomes quicker and easier.
Old July 8, 2001, 13:15   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Hopefully this means that we will be able to have quadruple the number of cities on a map...
Old July 8, 2001, 13:25   #10
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

so we can fill it up.
Old July 8, 2001, 14:20   #11
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
so we can fill it up.
Experiences a feeling of dread when he imagines screen after screen filled with dozens of 3-size cities. Laid out in checkerboard style...

Brrrrrrr.....!
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old July 8, 2001, 14:33   #12
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:21
What about hundreds of huge cities? I'm sure that i'll make such game once.
Old July 10, 2001, 12:07   #13
DarkCloud
staff

It would make the game longer if there could be more cities... Some people DO build up their cities... Perhaps it is a bad strategy on my part, but I usually have all size 5-9 cities... No large ones (I cant make them larger than 14) no small ones...

A larger map DEMANDS at least 10 major civs and 5 minor civs!