Old July 9, 2001, 12:40   #31
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In Western Europe there really aren't many uninabitable spaces but let me revise the second part of what I said:

The only places I can think of would be where the territory was not as important - but ownership of all key points like oases and villages were still fiercely contested.

Borders were largely defined but there were exceptions in uninhabitable areas. If no-one lives for miles in any direction, no-one gives a damn where the "line" goes, but it surely matters in inhabited areas or where there are valuable resources. Since Civ represents only the largest cities in any civilisation and the rest of the population is invisible doesn't mean there is no-one there. Your culture borders are only going to spread outward from your major cities so a country with large areas of uninhabited wasteland will have no cities there, therefore no border. Simple!
Old July 9, 2001, 15:05   #32
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 06:22
the border between sapin and france is there because of a mountain range. the border between canada and america, the part in newyork is cause by a river and the great lakes.

if an alliance is secret, why do they anounce it in civ2?
Old July 9, 2001, 15:51   #33
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
the border between spain and france is there because of a mountain range. the border between canada and america, the part in newyork is cause by a river and the great lakes.
I don't know about the USA/Canada border but the Spain/France border fluctuated a great deal. Rough terrain make for good defensible borders it is true, and I applaud the readjustment of rivers to tile edges in Civ III. The incentive not to build cities on bad terrain should make sure large areas are a cultural no-mans land.
Old July 9, 2001, 16:02   #34
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:22
The only reason the US/Canada border didn't fluctuate in the west is due to good sense on both sides. Before it could become a real issue, the British and the Americans split the continent along the 49th parallel.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 9, 2001, 16:22   #35
ancient
Prince

sure it isnt 48th?
Old July 10, 2001, 22:14   #36
Sabre2th
King

Ancient is right, it's the 48th.
Old July 11, 2001, 16:48   #37
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 08:22
To the Prince of UK, and the Swedish guy
Prince, in an interview with one of the developers of the game its said that a stronger culture would be capable of swallowing a weak culture´s city. And for the guy of Sweden: u have to realize that if Norway builds more museums is a modern era issue. Think, 2000 years ago, when our cultures werent so strenght like are now (or at least, not so well defined) a city or civ with a great culture, could spread his language, life style, and so forth over not so developed cities or civs, and, years later, perhaps centuries later, provoque the joining of those cities to that great civ. So i think, that cultural thing is one of the most important improvements and that will make this game different of others clones. Yeah.
Old July 11, 2001, 19:45   #38
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 11:22
This is not an idea for civ3 maybe civ4 if a bit is changed but maybe,
You could claim land as yours. Of course if you claim a huge area the surrounding civs will be unfriendly towards you and embargo you etc. If you claim another civs land that he's already claimed then he really doesn't like you. You would threaten eachother for a bit if you or he has a large military advantage the other civ might consider giving you some of his land. And so on you can think of extra bits. Cities would have there own culture border which always ( except when the culture borders join) belongs to the owner of the city.
Old July 11, 2001, 22:51   #39
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
Ancient is right, it's the 48th.
Did you even consult a map before making this comment? It's the 49th parallel! I checked it on several maps!

If you don't believe me, look it up.
Old July 14, 2001, 08:52   #40
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 13:22
Re: To the Prince of UK, and the Swedish guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Asesino_Virtual
And for the guy of Sweden: u have to realize that if Norway builds more museums is a modern era issue. Think, 2000 years ago, when our cultures werent so strenght like are now (or at least, not so well defined) a city or civ with a great culture, could spread his language, life style, and so forth over not so developed cities or civs, and, years later, perhaps centuries later, provoque the joining of those cities to that great civ. So i think, that cultural thing is one of the most important improvements and that will make this game different of others clones. Yeah.
ehh, yeah, cultural settings was an obvious impact on borders in the ancient days, when they hardly had discovered mapmaking. but the point here is that nothing says this won't happen in the game's modern times, like 1980. and that would be really weird... i atleast hope they will have an option box for this.

the most realistic would be: after discovery of mapmaking, the borders will be fixed and can only be modified through war or diplomacy. i mean, a border is a border. and when it's really established and marked out, it just doesn't move without being an act of war.
Old July 14, 2001, 09:34   #41
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut

Did you even consult a map before making this comment? It's the 49th parallel! I checked it on several maps!

If you don't believe me, look it up.
I'm just going from memory here. I'm sorry I don't have your dedication.
Old July 14, 2001, 10:19   #42
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

good question, why are alliances anoounced to the world?

i even would go as far as to say that emissaries shouldn't tell alliances... just peace and war.

secret alliances have existed throughout history.
Old July 14, 2001, 11:16   #43
ancient
Prince

yes, culture and ect. should effect borders in modern time, i mean american culture has been distributed all over the wrld, and practicly consumed over nations but americas borders have yet to expand because of this...
Old July 14, 2001, 12:21   #44
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 13:22
Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
yes, culture and ect. should effect borders in modern time, i mean american culture has been distributed all over the wrld, and practicly consumed over nations but americas borders have yet to expand because of this...
ehh, exactly how, technically? the borders are well defined in modern time. do they move at night by themselves when noone's watching?
Old July 14, 2001, 16:55   #45
ancient
Prince

erg sorry about the typos

i meant to say

yes, culture and ect. should'nt effect borders in modern time, i mean american culture has been distributed all over the world, and practicly consumed nations own culture but america's borders have yet to expand because of this...