Old July 8, 2001, 20:43   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AX succesion game
Over in the CivII threads, the civers there are playing their game in 'succesion' style- each player plays for about 20 turns, then hands the save game over to the next player in line. Who here would be interested in doing this with Alien Crossfire?

I am thinking we can use medium settings across the board, and we could get several games started at once, so as to keep us all busy. We each would get to play 20 turns in each game, but games that have a large number of bases, or that have passed a set year, would be limited to 10 year turns per player (or something of that sort).

Old July 8, 2001, 20:58   #2
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Local Time: 11:23
Sounds interesting. Everyone plays the same faction against AI factions? If not, how does it work?

- Scipio
Old July 8, 2001, 21:04   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Yes! We would each take turns playing the one faction in single-player mode. When the game comes around to you, you will have to deal with the blessings or curses bestowed upon you from the previous ruler, and then hand down your heritage to the player coming after you in line. This would keep happening until the game is finished- either won or lost by the last player.

I am thinking that everyone would get a copy of the .sav file that is to be passed to the next player, so everyone in participating can see the progress (degress?) being made.

Once enough people sign up (I am thinking 7 to 10 players, maybe?), we will start some games, and start passing the .sav files around every 10 to 20 turns, in order of succession.
Old July 8, 2001, 21:08   #4
The Commodore
Prince

I'm all for it.
Old July 8, 2001, 23:49   #5
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 06:23
I'd be interested too.
Old July 9, 2001, 04:06   #6
Sarxis
Emperor

Ok, that makes 3 of us so far. I'm sure there will be more coming along soon.
Old July 9, 2001, 04:34   #7
Avenoct
Prince

Might wanna bump this over to the multiplaying threads...I'd play a SMAC version, but SMAX is a tech I don't have.

-Smack
Old July 9, 2001, 05:25   #8
Sarxis
Emperor

I had to think about where to start this thread. And though I did consider posting this in the multiplayer forum, that forum is flooded by the tournament and MP turn confirmation posts. Plus, we are not really playing this as a standard multiplayer game, so I felt the general forum was the best place to inject the idea.

As far as doing a SMAC succession game: I am personally not interested in playing SMAC. But you are, of course, free to start your own SMAC succession game.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:29   #9
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 13:23
I am interested.
Old July 9, 2001, 13:47   #10
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 12:23
I'm very much interested! One word though: I don't have SMAX neither (I only have standard v4 SMAC).
Old July 10, 2001, 16:29   #11
Sarxis
Emperor

OK. We have about 5 of us ready to go, but I think at least 2 more will be a good start (and we can add more later, or whatever).

For those of you without the AX expansion, we can start a SMAC game as well (I won't be playing that, though). So everyone who is ready to play a SMAX succession game, confirm it now!

I am thinking what we can do is this: I will start a game with Lal, medium settings, Thinker level (??) on SMAX. I will play turns 1 through 20, but not complete turn 20. Instead, I will save the game when I finish the turn, but the player to recieve the turn will actually hit 'end turn' (to give them a chance to review the game state, and make changes if they want). They will then play turns 21 through 40 (M.Y. 2121 to 2140) and will finish turn 40, but not hit the 'end turn' button. They will then save the game, and then email the save file to the next player in turn. We will continue doing this until the game ends. If, however, our civ starts to become too large, we will shrink the number of turns we each play. I am not sure when or by how much we should do this, so let's just feel it out- we can be democratic about choosing the time and method of shortening each of our 'reigns' in this game.

I am also going to start a thread in the multiplayer forum for us titled 'AXS001' for us to post in when we send the save file off to the next player in line, and for us to have a place to inquire about game status and such. I will start the thread as soon as we get a couple more players though.

The turn order will be the order in which people responded in this thread. Thus far the order is:

Me
Scipio
Commodore
johndmuller
Tau Ceti

Hopefully we will get a few more players very shortly.

Once we get the first game going, we can start other games with different factions and settings!
Old July 10, 2001, 16:41   #12
Walt
Warlord

Add me to the list for SMAX!

This sounds like fun!

What are the primary styles of the people we currently have?

- Walt
Old July 10, 2001, 17:39   #13
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Yea, I guess at 20 turns a pop with a half dozen players, the game should fit into my schedule. Count me in!

Why not have everyone just play out their 20th game turn, hit TURN COMPLETE and then immediately save the 21st turn w/o playing it?

I take it we will each be responsible for any required diplomacy during our own 'watch'?

- Scipio
brperry@pacbell.net

PS. I wouldn't sweat it too much if someone inadvertantly plays a turn less or a turn more than they're supposed to, though.

PPS. My playing style with Lal is arrogant pacifistic coward!? Just kidding. I'ld say cautious builder style fits me.

Last edited by Scipio Centaurus; July 14, 2001 at 15:43.
Old July 10, 2001, 18:21   #14
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:23
ok now that sounds good.

HOWEVER!

i cannot play cuz i don't have smax. but what if someone wanted to run police state? you should probably change it so that the PKers can do that just in case.
Old July 10, 2001, 21:28   #15
The Commodore
Prince

I play Lal as a Builder, generally. Settings sound fine by me.

TKG, read all of Anunikoba's post, he'll start a SMAC game too.

I'll only do the SMAX one, though.
Old July 10, 2001, 21:59   #16
Avenoct
Prince

Still lurking over here with TKG and Cybergod for a Smac game to parallel the Smax game.

Walt, maybe it'll be fun to just 'find out' when you're handed over a mess!

Anunikoba, I like the idea of slowing the turn ratio down as things get complicated.

Here's a feasable outline or two:

Four Players:
1. Players A-D play 20 years each it's now 2180
2. Players A-D play 10 years each...2220
3. 5 years each 2240
4. continue at 5 years till victory.

Six Players:
1. Players A, B, and C play 20 years each 2160
2. Players D, E, and F play 10 years each 2190
3. All players continue at either 5 or 10 year intervals.

Of course, like you said, maybe this should be played by ear.

Shall I go ahead and get the Smac version started? It's up to you Anunikoba, it's your idea. If so, I'll start a new thread and collect names and emails for TKG, Cybergod and whoever else would play that version.

-Smack

Last edited by Avenoct; July 10, 2001 at 22:04.
Old July 11, 2001, 20:59   #17
Sarxis
Emperor

Smack, go ahead and start a separate thread for a SMAC version!

And as far as Lal not being to run Police State- I don't know how to accomodate this. But, this is just the first SMAX game being played succession style, so games to follow will probably be played using different factions (Yang next??).

I am just waiting for one more SMAX player to join, then I will start the AXS001 thread in 'Multiplayer' with the turn order roster and our e-mails.

Oh yeah, and please be sure to post a valid e-mail address here so we know where the turns will be going!
Old July 12, 2001, 14:46   #18
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

My e-mail is JohnDMuller@msn.com

I'll be out of town (and not connected) next Thursday thru Sunday, July 19-22 (plus parts of the adjacent days). I don't mind missing a turn or two, but hopefully we will get started and get a turn or two in before then anyway.

I'd be up for playing it on Transcend instead of Thinker if everyone agrees, but whatever...... It could also be one of the variations in the subsequent games instead.

Walt, I would classify myself as generally being (on the builder side of) a hybrid player for what it's worth.
Old July 14, 2001, 13:52   #19
SITS
King

I too would be interested in playing. My email address it tony@tlafave.demon.co.uk

I can play either version or any level.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old July 14, 2001, 14:15   #20
Avenoct
Prince

Just in case anyone missed it, there's a SMAC version starting up as well. Look for the thread below. I'm waiting on one more player (going to run with 4 players) for the first run...if we get 8 I'll start a second game.

-Smack
Old July 14, 2001, 16:40   #21
Sarxis
Emperor

OK AXS001 players- watch for the thread in multiplayer, and I shall be starting up the game now! As soon as I am done with turn 20, I will send it over to my successor.
Old July 14, 2001, 17:33   #22
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Quote:
I will start a game with Lal, medium settings, Thinker level (??) on SMAX. I will play turns 1 through 20, but not complete turn 20. Instead, I will save the game when I finish the turn, but the player to recieve the turn will actually hit 'end turn' (to give them a chance to review the game state, and make changes if they want). They will then play turns 21 through 40 (M.Y. 2121 to 2140) and will finish turn 40, but not hit the 'end turn' button. They will then save the game, and then email the save file to the next player in turn. We will continue doing this until the game ends. If, however, our civ starts to become too large, we will shrink the number of turns we each play. I am not sure when or by how much we should do this, so let's just feel it out- we can be democratic about choosing the time and method of shortening each of our 'reigns' in this game.

I am also going to start a thread in the multiplayer forum for us titled 'AXS001' for us to post in when we send the save file off to the next player in line, and for us to have a place to inquire about game status and such. I will start the thread as soon as we get a couple more players though.

The turn order will be the order in which people responded in this thread.
Does the above still work?

Anunikoba (???)
Scipio (brperry@pacbell.net)
Commodore (???)
johndmuller (JohnDMuller@msn.com)
Tau Ceti (???)
Walt (???)
SITS (tony@tlafave.demon.co.uk)

Need some more email addresses...

Last edited by Scipio Centaurus; July 14, 2001 at 22:12.
Old July 15, 2001, 17:26   #23
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 13:23
Use tauc@hotmail.com for me at the moment.
Old July 15, 2001, 19:07   #24
The Commodore
Prince

jbgibson@arilion.com

Although Anunikoda should already know it, sending me three games' turns.
Old July 15, 2001, 21:20   #25
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Sorry. I got a little worried when Anunikoba said he was playing the turn, like 'right now', and would send it to the next player ASAP. I realized I didn't know the email address of the person after me.

I have the email address now. Never did get any game file though...

- Scipio
Old July 15, 2001, 21:22   #26
Sarxis
Emperor

Ok, here we go!

Check the 'AXS001' thread in AC-Multiplayer forum for the stuff.

And good luck to us all!
Old July 18, 2001, 12:10   #27
Walt
Warlord

Walt's email: wschellin@yahoo.com