Old July 8, 2001, 21:15   #1
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 06:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help, I can't turn over control of my noodle.
Hi all:

In one of my PBEMs I seem not to be able to turn over control of my 6-1-10 noodle, to my human pactmate.

I have 3 pactmates, 2 human, and 1 AI.

The pactmate in question base only 1 base left. I have tried to turn over control before movement, and after movement in the base, and after movement out of base but in my pactmate's territory(happens to be beside an enemy unit(probe team), which may make a difference). I have tried {ctrl,shift,U} as well as the right click menu, which only works before movement.

Is this normal behavior? Does it always happen with noodles? Is it because I have 3 pactmates, or because it is the last base? Is it because of the enemy unit? (there wasn't an enemy unit beside me when I was in my pactmate's base). Does anyone know why this is? Thanks.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:27   #2
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 13:23
What error message are you getting? If, for example, the game complains that you are not in his territory, it may be that it does not count you as having properly "met", and in that case, you cannot turn over the unit. Can you see his borders?
Old July 9, 2001, 09:15   #3
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Yes, I get the error msg at the bottom of the screen, as if I was in my own or non-pactmate territory, something like, "You must be in the territory of someone you are friendly with, in order to turn over your unit."

Yes, I can see his borders fine. It seemed strange to me, too. That's why I mentioned I had 3 pactmates. Only 2 are allowed for co-op victory, and so if this is the 3rd, then maybe it is not allowed for unit transfer either?
Old July 10, 2001, 19:49   #4
Fitz
King

Local Time: 03:23
I've invariably encountered this problem when working with a pact mate in MP across an ocean barrier. I suspect that Tau Ceti is right, and you haven't formally "met", despirte starting with his comlink.

Move any ground sea unit adjecent to another ground/sea unit of theirs, and I think you will satify the formal meeting requirement.
Old July 10, 2001, 22:48   #5
Deimos
Prince

Expounding on Fitz's and Tau's commentary, you don't "meet" another faction until one of your/their land or sea units moves next to one of their/your land/sea units or bases.

In a recent SP game, I obtained the Unity Chopper from the unity wreckage. In using it as a scout, I ran across several AI units and bases, but I was not able to "talk" to them until I moved a land unit into contact with one of their land units.

I don't think that the game will allow "contact" between factions if one of the contacting units has an aircraft chassis.
Old July 11, 2001, 02:34   #6
Ken Hinds
Prince

I'm not too sure about that Aircraft thing. I recently had Zak pitch a fit because I violated his airspace and we had had no prior contact that I can remember.

Ken
Old July 11, 2001, 08:58   #7
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Thanks all for your great help.

That's probably it then. I bought my human pactmates comm from an AI. I'll try getting a unit over there quick, and that should solve the problem. I'm running FM, and I *really* want to get rid of that noodle!