Old July 10, 2001, 12:12   #1
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 12:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Independence day or Apocalypse now?
1) Independence
Bearing the glorious name of La Fayette, I felt compelled to play that scenario as the Americans (just to see how swiftly it was possible to tear the English to pieces ).
The English stroke a hard blow to start with, namely taking New York. But I was lucky enough to buy the city back immediately, and that gave me a fleet.
I sold a number of improvements to finance the fighting (but I should have sold even more; I confess it breaks my micromanager's heart every time). Second mistake: a stronghold in the north that wasn't really strong enough and cost me some losses and some gold.
Tried to ally with the French and the Indians, but they didn't feel like it and this ended with a sneak attack by the French (poor La Fayette, sneak attacked by the French!!).
All out war from then on. I stopped in August 1780, having conquered anything except the 2 cities of Halifax and Port-au-Prince. The defenders inside those cities are some kind of special cavalry: attack = 15, defence = 15.
I didn't feel like starting that kind of butchery.
(I do it tonight and let you know)

2) Apocalypse
I played that scenario last week, as the Enlightened (... made me think of EyesofNight ).
I found it fun, but could not finish it: when I happen to discover Nuclear Fission, the game says 'error' and it's over. I tested all kinds of restarts during well over an hour: no result.
Has anyone played that scenario to the end?
Has anyone sound advice to give about what seems to be a bug?
Thank you.
Old July 10, 2001, 12:36   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 05:25
Re: Independence day or Apocalypse now?
Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette
...this ended with a sneak attack by the French (poor La Fayette, sneak attacked by the French!!).
Ha ha, monsieur, zees ees what yew get for siding weeth un colonie!

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette
2) Apocalypse
...when I happen to discover Nuclear Fission, the game says 'error' and it's over.
Check rules.txt for any oddities in the tech tree - is NF a "no" tech, for example? I've not played this scenario, I'll see if mine works...

I'll try to find time this week or weekend to play Independence, perhaps as the Marquis of Manhattan. Bring on les sneak attaques!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 11, 2001, 15:43   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Gonna have to have a go on the Independance scenario, as the English, of course
Old July 12, 2001, 02:53   #4
rixxe
Prince

(poor La Fayette, sneak attacked by the French!!).

the frogs,...

is it possible to end the war with the british, and to form an alliance with them (playing the americans of course) ??
Old July 12, 2001, 13:14   #5
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rixxe

is it possible to end the war with the british, and to form an alliance with them (playing the americans of course) ??
No sir, it isn't: the guidebook states that there cannot be any negociation between the English and the Americans.
I can understand DrFell though (think of what kind of pudding Mr Blair would be eating if the USA were a nice and quiet member of the Commonwealth).

(the guy to the left is George Bush listening to sound advice given by Tony Blair)

(this one is La Fayette, right after having bribed the English fleet in New York).
Old July 12, 2001, 13:29   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 05:25
Maybe our versions are different, La Fayette, but my Independence doesn't even have a diplomatic unit! No bribing, thus. O well, I must send the youths to their deaths in order to recapture the city...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 12, 2001, 15:04   #7
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
Maybe our versions are different, La Fayette, but my Independence doesn't even have a diplomatic unit
Marquis, I feel sorry for you. I am sure that you can manage to win that war, but I suppose that it is not going to be 'a piece of cake' if you have no diplomats.
My version of the game is 5.4.0f Multiplayer Patch 3 (I think I got that patch from SG1).
Anyway, if DrFell is going to have a try as the English, I shall have a try as the French NOW.
(it's probably going to be somewhat like ww2 with smaller civs, but that was FUN)