What are the best marks for

OCC
bloodlust
SpaceRace (non OCC)
General HighScore

Iīd just like to know where I stand...
Old August 31, 2000, 14:45   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 18:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Chainsaw on 08-31-2000 02:05 PM
What are the best marks for

OCC
bloodlust
SpaceRace (non OCC)
General HighScore

Iīd just like to know where I stand...

for OCC, (diety, random small map, first run) i think its 1645 (Paul). on subsequent attempts with the same game, people have done noticably better, but generally don't count that towards a best mark

for bloodlust, break it down to 0 cities, and 1 or more cities.
for 0 cities: i think its 750 BC (vik)
for 1 or more cities, i think its 1300 BC (Shaka Naldur)

Space race: i think its 1075AD (Arii)

for general high score, i think both Ming and rah have scores (unposted) higher than what is in the Apolyton Civ II diety hall of fame (well over 2000%)

All of those numbers/names come from a quick scan of the older threads in this (strategy) forum, so I may have missed something in there. Should give you some pretty lofty targets to shoot at though
Old August 31, 2000, 15:00   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:43
The actual scores or percentages the game awards are of little interest to most people. To achieve a massive score is more a measure of mundane accountancy/management skills, rather than playing an enjoyable game in a winning way!

Now dates are different! These show how good you really are in all areas of Civ. Players on this site have conquered the world in the BC years. Landings have been made on AC pre 1100 (Arii) and pre 1600 (Dave V) Paul is the current OCC champion (only actual games count for records - not scenarios) and I believe he has landed around 1500. There are many OCC fans who will give the exact date.

The score is irrelevant - but the date shows how fast you can conquer or land a spaceship.
----------
SG (2)
Old September 1, 2000, 08:26   #4
Chainsaw
Warlord

God ... I guess I will have to buy six refrigerators full of food, break down all pivate contact to other humans and just PLAY.

Scouse Gits, youīre perfectly right about the score. Playing for score means WORK. Playing for fun is ... well... fun.

But I thought conquering a normal map with 7 civs on deity in 1784 was good. I will get MGE asap, just to see how it is to play against humans. MGE is the only possibility for multiplayer, isnīt it? Theer isnīt an update or something?
Old September 1, 2000, 09:40   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

1784 sounds great! Do you play fundy or commie?

You will have to buy MPGE for playing against humans. I couldn't find it in the UK - if Germany is the same -you may have to purchase plain "Multiplayer" (Version 5.3)
------------
SG (2)
Old September 1, 2000, 09:45   #6
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
I thought the Euro version was UCC Ultimate Civ Collection or something like that??
Old September 1, 2000, 10:16   #7
Caesar
Settler

I remember conquering the world around 200 BC once, damn I love vet crusaders...
Old September 1, 2000, 13:37   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Ah but ...
I recently discovered that although I have the identical MP to SG(2) v5.3.0f Patch 2 as he remarks above -- if you go to the diagnostic tool provided by DirectX - it defaults to C:\windows\system\DXDiag.exe - and look under the 'network' tab - the beast has been recognised as "Civilization II Gold"!!
Where do we go from here?
Do we use the 1.3 patch??
HELP

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
Old September 2, 2000, 00:26   #9
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:43
quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 08-31-2000 03:00 PM
The actual scores or percentages the game awards are of little interest to most people. To achieve a massive score is more a measure of mundane accountancy/management skills, rather than playing an enjoyable game in a winning way!

----------
SG (2)

Someone once told me that the English equivalent of the Russian word "Nyet" is "Yes, but..."

I started out at the lowest difficulty level. After mastering(?) one level, I would move to the next higher level. As a result, when I finish a game, my top 5 scores are ones from my King level days (4 of them) or my Emperor days (1 game). No matter how good I do at Deity level, I can't break that elusive top 5 list. Yes, I play for fun to conquer or reach AC first, but the day I get a better score at deity level than my other top 5 scores will be a very happy day!

quote:

Originally posted by Chainsaw

But I thought conquering a normal map with 7 civs on deity in 1784 was good. I will get MGE asap, just to see how it is to play against humans. MGE is the only possibility for multiplayer, isnīt it? Theer isnīt an update or something?

Chainsaw, you're gonna want to try a few SP games with MGE to see how you do as far as high score goes. Believe me, you might see a noticable degradation in your own "perceived" skills. From what I read on the boards, maybe I should go the other way and find a non-MGE version. Might do wonders for my own ego.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old September 2, 2000, 00:58   #10
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Just checked my copy of MP.

Ultimate Civilization II 5.3 (Patch 2 ; 1 Feb 1999).

Caesar - make us feel better and tell us 200BC was on a Small World - not a Normal one!
-----------
SG (2)
Old September 9, 2000, 08:36   #11
Chainsaw
Warlord

Sorry for the late answer, but I hadnīt neither the time nor the possibility to go online the whole last week...

Scouse Gits:
I donīt remember if it was fundy or commie. I didnīt build the Statue, so I went slaughtering in monarchy. I conquered SoL very late, the last civ I killed had it, then i switched to commie, I think.

I general, when I play expansionist, I make war in Fundamentalism. Science doesnīt matter that much, when your army consisiting of howies, AEGIS, and MechInf is twice as big as the sum of all the other civsī units, and its hard to build up such an army playing commie.

Talking about MP:
Hm. So I will really need to buy a new game (which I have sought in MANY game shops here in Germany, but I CAN`T FIND IT!!! AAARGH!)

But I think youīre right. I would get my ass kicked playing against one of you

kcbob:
Sounds tragic. What is your emperor HighScore?

Old September 11, 2000, 09:21   #12
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Chainsaw on 09-09-2000 08:36 AM
kcbob:
Sounds tragic. What is your emperor HighScore?

Argh! I left the scores at home. I'll try to post them tonight. But I do remember that I have at least once score from Prince, King, and Emperor in my top five list.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old September 11, 2000, 13:53   #13
debeest
Prince

kcbob, I had the same situation (although my high scores even at king level were more like 400% than the 2000% that some people have gotten at deity). Finally I got tired of it and deleted the hall-of-fame file. Next time you retire from a game, it'll recreate. Then load up your best deity games, retire from them, and you'll have a deity-only list.

But as far as actually BEATING the lower-level scores, I can't help either you or me.
Old September 11, 2000, 17:02   #14
smilo
Warlord

General high score : The highest score I have ever heard of (and it was not Ming's) is 3015%.
Old September 12, 2000, 08:20   #15
kcbob
King

quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by debeest on 09-11-2000 01:53 PM</font>
kcbob, I had the same situation (although my high scores even at king level were more like 400% than the 2000% that some people have gotten at deity). Finally I got tired of it and deleted the hall-of-fame file. Next time you retire from a game, it'll recreate. Then load up your best deity games, retire from them, and you'll have a deity-only list.

But as far as actually BEATING the lower-level scores, I can't help either you or me.

ARRGH! I left my list at home! I do remember that my high score is only about 230%. And as for deleting the list, that's what I enjoy most now... trying to beat that lowest score. Then again, I really don't try for a high score. I just love to win, baby. ( The truth is out! I'm a closet Oakland Raiders fan. )

------------------
Frodo lives!

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited September 12, 2000).]</font>
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old September 12, 2000, 08:54   #16
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 09-12-2000 08:20 AM
ARRGH! I left my list at home! The truth is out! I'm a closet Oakland Raiders fan. )

heh, and living in KC That is almost like when i was living in Houston, going to the Oilers games and rooting for the Steelers (I'm back in Steeler Country now - now if the front office can just decide whether they want to reward loyalty or to build a winner instead of trying to do both and ultimately doing neither, we may finally turn things back around...)

As for trying to have a high score from each level on the Hall of Fame file, i used to do that too Only problem was I got too good at diety and I kept having to delete the file and reload my best from lower levels I guess if i ever played a game to completion instead of just reducing all the civs to just their capital so i could trade my lower level scores would approach my 400-500%ish diety quitting scores. Then again my diety scores would go higher as well

------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
Old September 13, 2000, 08:28   #17
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 09-12-2000 08:54 AM
heh, and living in KC That is almost like when i was living in Houston, going to the Oilers games and rooting for the Steelers

Let me clarify. I'm a Chiefs fan first. Then I'm an AFC West fan. And finally I'm an AFC fan.

Okay, high scores. I've got them with me today. Now that I think about it, though, maybe I shouldn't post them. Compared to others, these might look pretty sick.

1.King....2841...227%
2.King....2577...206%
3.Prince..3393...203%
4.King....2489...199%
5.Emperor.1788...178%
6.Deity...1060...137%

Pretty sad, huh?

------------------
Frodo lives!

Old September 13, 2000, 10:36   #18
Chainsaw
Warlord

I wouldnīt say sad.. I would say conqueror style.
What do you need a score for if the wholr world is YOURS?
Old September 13, 2000, 11:28   #19
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Just out of curiosity - I had a look at my 'Hall of Fame' here at work (shhhhh!).[list=1][*]Deity conquest 475BC 170%[*]King conquest 1500 88%[*]Deity OCC 1934 47%[*]Deity OCC 1853 45%[*]Deity OCC 1962 44%[/list=a]You think you have problems!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old September 14, 2000, 08:18   #20
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 09-13-2000 11:28 AM
Just out of curiosity - I had a look at my 'Hall of Fame' here at work (shhhhh!).[list=1][*]Deity conquest 475BC 170%[*]Deity OCC 1500 88%[*]Deity OCC 1934 47%[*]Deity OCC 1853 45%[*]Deity OCC 1962 44%[/list=a]You think you have problems!!

Yikes!

How do I say this tactfully? Nah, I'd better not say it. Although I should point out that the numbers before the percentages in my list were point scores, not years.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Old September 14, 2000, 16:29   #21
smilo
Warlord

Can't agree on this one. The get to the really high scores, your game needs to be crisp from the first turn on, just like in OCC games. Getting a score around 1500% can be very amusing cause you can get it without any food caravan swapping, the difference with OCC games is that you have to keep track of many more things, which is THE REAL civ spirit. To beat the high score, yep there you're right that is a rather boring hobby.

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 08-31-2000 03:00 PM

Now dates are different! These show how good you really are in all areas of Civ. Players on this site have conquered the world in the BC years. Landings have been made on AC pre 1100 (Arii) and pre 1600 (Dave V) Paul is the current OCC champion (only actual games count for records - not scenarios) and I believe he has landed around 1500. There are many OCC fans who will give the exact date.

The score is irrelevant - but the date shows how fast you can conquer or land a spaceship.
----------
SG (2)

Old September 14, 2000, 22:29   #22
Chainsaw
Warlord

The real civ spirit. Thatīs my opinion, too. OK, I have never played MP, but my first self-made strategy which led to victory was expansionist, and although it takes long to finish (on larger maps), it has stayed my favourite. Itīs so much fun to see your empire grow, then to build up your assault force and sweep the world with your hi-tec-army. I just love that.
The best games are the ones with technically equal neighbors, where you have to combine air-, sea- and land units to beat them.
Old September 14, 2000, 23:32   #23
Smash
Emperor

How did you get 88% in an OCC game?
Old September 15, 2000, 05:33   #24
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Smash - damn good catch - you don't! Seems I can't read! See my revised post.
Sorry folks

------------------

Old September 15, 2000, 07:26   #25
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

The game score mainly reflects population. Compare these two results. Both played on LARGE random maps in 2.42/Deity/Hordes.

a) Conquest in 1520 (could have been much better without re-starting civs!)
Population 17.8 million - Score 2230

b) AC landing in 1520.
Population 9.7 million - Score 783

The second one was a far better game - but only received about a third of the score.

--------------
SG (2)
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old September 15, 2000, 09:35   #26
SCG
King

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 09-14-2000 11:32 PM
How did you get 88% in an OCC game?

if it were a slightly different question: How would instead of how did, i could give an answer

Ribannah seems to come pretty close to 88% in a lot of his games when he spends the post-launch years buying all the remaining wonders - throw in increasing your passenger list and maybe a few future techs and it should be no problem to get way past 88%

too bad the scoring system does such a poor job representing how the game actually went

------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
Old September 15, 2000, 14:17   #27
Sten Sture
Emperor

I was fiddlin' around with ToT rules.txt the other day and was surprised to find that you can change the way the scoring is done. I made it 0 points per population head, -5 for each soldier killed, -200 for backstabing, 50 for wonders and big points for AC. I think I had negative points by the time I quit for the evening - got a chuckle out of it though!
Old September 18, 2000, 17:10   #28
smilo
Warlord

Scoute gits,

Why is the second game much better than the first, or why should the first game be better than the second ? Try getting the score of the first game and still land in 1520, that's what is civ is all about.

About OCC : it's fun, it's fast but it does not reflect jedi-level control of the game. To many luck factors influence OCC games. Look at the scores brought forward by several people, the same players have hugely differenciated scores, depending on how well the game went (read : on how much lucky factors where present). By their speedy nature OCC games allow to try many times over in a relative short time span compared to fully fledged games. Ok it shows a cunningness in several areas of the game, but certainly not master skill in the whole concept.

OK I hear you coming, why don't I have the high score in OCC games than, well honestly speaking I'm not atracted to OCC games. I tried them, finished somewhere in the 1800, but I never actually found them attractive enough to try over and over again to get a really good score. Why : the luck factor, it is just too big :
+ Start in an area with low amount of resources, too bad, start over
+ Barbarians kick your but every 5 turns : too bad, start over
+ Not enough goody huts nearby : boem, youre done
+ Your goodie hunt chaser runs into the cartagenians : back to start
+ ... ... ...

No, OCC is not for me.
Old September 18, 2000, 19:10   #29
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Smilo - The first game should have finished hundreds of years before it did - but I hadn't checked the box to stop re-starting civs.

The second game was better, as you have to go through most of the tech tree to build/land a spaceship. To launch in 1510 means several centuries of a tech per turn. This requires a continuous stream of caravans being delivered to cities on different continents that hopefully demand most of the goods provided.

For large world conquest you can forget about science once you have a decent army of offensive units - around Leadership/Tactics. You then switch your economy to earn money and bribe/swamp anything left. The score means little. The measure of efficient play is how fast you can achieve your goal. If you want a huge score then construct the largest spaceship possible and land it in the 21st Century, after building 200+ cities as well as keeping track of a mountain of freight. Large world games are long enough as it is - without having to play them for most of the 21st Century.
-----------
SG (2)