Old August 7, 2001, 20:42   #181
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 21:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
DarkCloud (I think): I have read the Morganite history, and it seems fine.

Every chance I get, you can be sure I will be reminding all factions of my personal viewpoint that it is not the business of the Planetary Council to interfere with the internal affairs of factions. (You can imagine why Morgan would be wary of an Alliance member in the governor's seat because of their green ideology and his polluting industry-based economy.)

The Data Angels will be reminded to respect the will of the Planetary Council. Part of democracy is accepting the will of the people, even if it grates on us at times. They are also reminded that Morgan Industries is prepared to defend itself against any unilateral action.

To the Hive, the Spartans, and the Drones, I will be sending this message: The increased access to resources Morgan will gain should he be retained as Governor will allow him to set aside increased economic aid packages, possibly in advance. I would also like to tell Miriam and Dawn that satisfactory resolution of their situation would make us look much more favorably on increasing economic aid to both of them. Captain Svensgaard: You have a large merchant fleet, and I have some ports. Perhaps, should I be retained, I will possess the resources to increase and broaden co-operation.

I also agree with the on-vote-per-faction system. It will make the elections more interesting, and, like someone said, give more people the chance to run in the future.

P.S. I don't mean to nag, but I don't seem to have the map yet. I was wondering how it was coming along, and when it could be sent out? Thanks in advance.
Old August 7, 2001, 21:12   #182
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 06:27
Well, Santiago would be happy to vote for Morgan. But she would be equally happy to vote for Roze. If the credits are right. And depending on certain other things. The Spartans will be addressing some important issues with the council when things get started. Support from the PG would be nice.

As for the map, it takes a little while. LMP will get them out.chrisspr@hotmail.com
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2001, 21:20   #183
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Morgan never lets a good market get away.

And on a related note, the Morganic army isn't what it might be. Perhaps there's an idea for selected Morganic officers to receive training at the Spartan War Academy floating around...Coming, of course, with increased sharing of military technology and tactics, and increased economic contact.
Old August 7, 2001, 21:30   #184
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Morgan never lets a good market get away.

And on a related note, the Morganic army isn't what it might be. Perhaps there's an idea for selected Morganic officers to receive training at the Spartan War Academy floating around...Coming, of course, with increased sharing of military technology and tactics, and increased economic contact.
That's all possible. Sparta is always looking for allies.

Of course the Data Angels need not distress, Sparta is willing to entertain couter proposals.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 8, 2001, 02:07   #185
Cyber
Warlord

Local Time: 13:27
Suggestion(again):
What if the flames of interfactional war rose again, but instead of the different sides handling their differences on battlefields all around the planet, they all would send large taskforces on the Cult-Believer frontier and settle their differences there. The Cult-Believer frontier would be a Vietnam or Korea for all the "big"(ass) factions.Pulling ropes behind the curtain, in a way...
Cyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2001, 03:37   #186
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Well... this could be already happening...

The Peacekeepers will try to avoid it, but not at all cost.
We will not commit political suicide...
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2001, 10:03   #187
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Okay, now for getting this show on the road... well, I'm ready whenever you guys are!
That is... I still need to post some stuff in the admin thread and fix the locations of any new PK bases. (I'd say there would be about four of them, one or two of which would be at sea...) Anyway, I'll get this done pretty soon now...

Other than that... well, just let me know when to start and I'll be peacekeeping your backyard before you know it!
Old August 8, 2001, 15:54   #188
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:27
Mr P. your first post on this page is OK.

A far flung war. That is certainly a good possibility in the Cult/Believers sector.

However, remember, some factions will be wary to get involved in even a war like that. At most people like Zakharov, who have gotten hammered in previous wars, will only send aid.

Although if Zakharov feels himself insulted by the Cyborgs and/or Lal, he will join the war just to piss them off. (He really hates them. ) Or, alternatively, Morgan and Zakharov could team up and sell arms to the opposing sides and make a bundle... If the war looks like it is shifting, M and Z could send some of their armies on the losing side to help them out
Old August 8, 2001, 15:55   #189
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Mr P. your first post on this page is OK.

A far flung war. That is certainly a good possibility in the Cult/Believers sector.

However, remember, some factions will be wary to get involved in even a war like that. At most people like Zakharov, who have gotten hammered in previous wars, will only send aid.

Although if Zakharov feels himself insulted by the Cyborgs and/or Lal, he will join the war just to piss them off. (He really hates them. ) Or, alternatively, Morgan and Zakharov could team up and sell arms to the opposing sides and make a bundle... If the war looks like it is shifting, M and Z could send some of their armies on the losing side to help them out

War Profiteering!
Another war crimes charge for M and Z!
Old August 8, 2001, 18:40   #190
Argonaut
Prince

The Data Angels are full believers in democracy and the "will of the people" as you call it, and are fully willing to abide by the outcome of an honest election. However, we will not tolerate somebody making a mockery of the office of Planetary Governor by buying their way into power.

Be assured that when Roze becomes Governor, it will be by fair and honest means. And she WILL become Governor.

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2001, 19:07   #191
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

We'll see...

Of course, the Peacekeepers share the Data Angels' faith in democracy, and... well... you know what? If Roze does indeed make it to Planetary Governor... she will have our full, complete, and unconditional support.

We would expect nothing less from her.
Old August 8, 2001, 20:18   #192
Sprayber
Emperor

Argonaut--Where does Roze stand on factional independence? Is she of the Peacekeeper mindset or closer to the Spartan one?
Old August 8, 2001, 21:07   #193
Argonaut
Prince

We share much of the interfactional comunitie's concerns with recent actions taken by "hardline" peacekeepers, which seem to be going against the desires and requests of various factions. We do see the need for the Peacekeepers, and their mission, BUT, we also see a need for restraint. It seems that neither the Believers, the Gaians, nor the Cult of Planet have requested assistance from the U.N., and forces in the area have hardly provided a neutral calming affect. But we do commend the U.N. for the humanitarian relief that they HAVE provided in helping those fleeing war zones.

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2001, 01:49   #194
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Argonaut
We will not tolerate somebody making a mockery of the office of Planetary Governor by buying their way into power.
If you are implying that Morgan obtained the governorship by less than honest means, you would do well to explain just what you meant to Colonel Santiago and Chairman Yang. For such a charge would imply that those leaders are morally or ethically bankrupt and would allow their votes to be bought, serious charges to be flung around.

Business is not a war crime. Just because countries are at war does not mean that their economic sector must shut down completely. Business is also a factional privilege, and attempts to interfere with it will rightly be looked upon unfavorably. As mentioned previously, Morgan will take whatever steps are required to protect his interests.

I'm ready to begin any time others are. What sort of start-time would we be looking at (eg. before the Council meeting, at its beginning, etc.)?
Old August 9, 2001, 04:00   #195
Cyber
Warlord

Although the Cult hasn´t requested assistance to their situation yet, they´ll probably do so soon. For now, the only people they´ve tried to ask help from are the Gaians, and gotten nothing from them. But now as the peacekeepers are showing their interest in the conflict, the Cult, although their isolationist attitude says differently, might just "officially" invite the peacekeepers...
Cyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2001, 08:33   #196
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Argonaut
We share much of the interfactional comunitie's concerns with recent actions taken by "hardline" peacekeepers, which seem to be going against the desires and requests of various factions. We do see the need for the Peacekeepers, and their mission, BUT, we also see a need for restraint. It seems that neither the Believers, the Gaians, nor the Cult of Planet have requested assistance from the U.N., and forces in the area have hardly provided a neutral calming affect. But we do commend the U.N. for the humanitarian relief that they HAVE provided in helping those fleeing war zones.

Let the record show that the Data Angels have voiced their concerns and that the Peacekeepers accept them as valid and legitimate.

We would like to address some of these points in a little more detail...

First of all, let me stress that we're all concerned about the current situation on the Western Continent and the deployment of foreign troops there (PK troops included). We also have to admit that the deployment of U.N. forces in the region has not had the desired effect on the overall situation, although we HAVE accomplished our mission on a smaller scale, protecting the innocent and providing disaster relief. That said, there is currently some concern amongst us that things may have gotten a little out of hand with the troop deployments and that we've ended up acting more as a third party to the conflict than as neutral peacekeepers. We are currently taking steps to remedy the situation and ease the tensions that have unfortunately arisen.

Which brings me to the point that U.N. actions
Quote:
seem to be going against the desires and requests of various factions.
Sad but true.
It is unfortunate and regrettable that some people have come to feel threatened or even mistreated by the U.N. This is clearly something we shall strive to avoid in the future. I should point out, however, that we can not let our actions be governed by those who have no regard for our Charter, or who actively seek to prevent its enforcement. Nor could we sit idly by and watch a humanitarian disaster simply because there was no political consensus on how to handle it in the interfactional community. We had to act and we did so with good intentions. Sadly, certain people failed to recognize this and regarded our presence an "unjust interference" rather than a humanitarian effort and a peace initiative. Even more regrettably, it became necessary to station troops in the region to protect U.N. personnel and civilians from the more aggressive elements of such groups. Tragically, a number of armed incidents have occurred since the deployment of these troops and they have been forced to defend themselves on a few occasions.

Quote:
We do see the need for the Peacekeepers, and their mission, BUT, we also see a need for restraint.
And so do we. It is not hard to agree that what has happened is indeed regrettable. Maybe a few things should have been done different. However, it can be hard to show restraint when somebody's trying to kill your people - even if you ARE a Peacekeeper. That said, we are currently working on a new set of policies which should hopefully help ease the tensions. Also, we will carefully evaluate all our operations and experiences from this conflict for the purpose of improving future performance.

Quote:
It seems that neither the Believers, the Gaians, nor the Cult of Planet have requested assistance from the U.N. (...)
Correct. The U.N. intervened on its' own account, which it may do under certain circumstances according to the U.N. Charter. We felt that such circumstances were present and that there was a dire need for immediate action. Like I said, we could not sit and watch a humanitarian disaster and not try to stop it.

Quote:
(...) and forces in the area have hardly provided a neutral calming affect.
Regrettably, this is true. It seems our forces are seen as a party to the conflict rather than neutral peacekeepers. We are currently considering what can be done to remedy this situation and avoid similar conditions in the future.

Quote:
But we do commend the U.N. for the humanitarian relief that they HAVE provided in helping those fleeing war zones.
Thank you. -And we are still doing this.

Last edited by Guardian; August 9, 2001 at 08:40.
Old August 9, 2001, 09:12   #197
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber
...the Cult, although their isolationist attitude says differently, might just "officially" invite the peacekeepers...
Doing that would seriously set back any possibility of peace negotiations. The Believers and the Cult should be allowed to settle this matter themselves, instead of the PK's interfering.
I am OK for start, as soon as I get the map.
Old August 9, 2001, 09:18   #198
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Don't worry. If you people want to talk in private, we will let you talk in private. We might actually leave you completely alone and not even have PK observers present.

-Just as long as you're talking and not shooting civilians...
Old August 9, 2001, 09:37   #199
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Doing that would seriously set back any possibility of peace negotiations.
See the emphasized word? Don't get too excited Guardian.
Old August 9, 2001, 09:41   #200
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

I'm not. Just pointing out another possibility...
Old August 9, 2001, 09:46   #201
Kassiopeia
Emperor

BTW, Spartan Assistance at the Believer Front is most welcome, Sprayber.
Announcing this has of course nothing to do with the fact that the Spartan-PK relations have been a bit hot lately
Old August 9, 2001, 09:51   #202
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

*Lal grumbles and growls. You wonder what's wrong this time...*

*You catch a glimpse of General Braddock trolling around in the background...*

Last edited by Guardian; August 9, 2001 at 10:15.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:08   #203
Natan
Prince

I'm going to be gone for a week, try not to do anything TOO important while I'm gone.
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2001, 10:11   #204
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

*Lal hopes somebody remembered to tell Braddock...*
Old August 9, 2001, 10:16   #205
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Natan
I'm going to be gone for a week, try not to do anything TOO important while I'm gone.
What do you mean, like forming a mutual Planet Coalition, resulting in all other factions trying to conquer the Human Hive? Or Planet Busting Drone Mound?
Well, we can't have the election until Natan is back
Old August 9, 2001, 10:32   #206
Sprayber
Emperor

Spartan Diplomatic Corp.
Sparta will be happy to provide the necessary help in supporting the Believer faction against outside interference. That is as long as the Believers sticks with the immediated gaol of their crusade against the Cult of Planet and does not seek to widen the war.

Just yet anyway.

If the Believers decide to make peace than Sparta will support that move. If they decide to press vendetta, we will go along with that to. Just don't spread the conflict to the Gians or PKs.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:41   #207
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Re: Spartan Diplomatic Corp.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Sparta will be happy to provide the necessary help in supporting the Believer faction against outside interference. That is as long as the Believers sticks with the immediated gaol of their crusade against the Cult of Planet and does not seek to widen the war.

Just yet anyway.

If the Believers decide to make peace than Sparta will support that move. If they decide to press vendetta, we will go along with that to. Just don't spread the conflict to the Gians or PKs.
The Lord's Believers appreciate this gesture of goodwill and unconditioned support.
Also I'd like to add that the Believers have no interest in the PK's or Gaians as long as they keep their noses out of this war.
Old August 9, 2001, 11:47   #208
Sprayber
Emperor

The Spartans look forward to many Believer victories in the future. And we will of course work in council to counter the attempts of the Cult to spread the vendetta to other factions. We in Sparta are confident that the Pks and Gians will not fall for the lies from the Cult. Besides, they put the lives of their mindworms above that of their people.
Old August 9, 2001, 13:02   #209
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Re: Re: Spartan Diplomatic Corp.
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Also I'd like to add that the Believers have no interest in the PK's or Gaians as long as they keep their noses out of this war.
Ummm... ah... er... (*cough*)...

(*whistles innocently*)

What was that?
Old August 9, 2001, 14:10   #210
[LordLMP]

I want to quikcly mention before goes out of hand....

Guardian - Gaians and Believers don't share borders. Cult of PLanet is located between the Gaians in the north with the Ruins and believers in the south and south-east. Cult and Believer borders don't actually touch each other, so there is a open neutral zone in between. Unity Wreckage covers a good part of this open neutral territory...and also where i can a lot of fighting is happening.

PKs could also use the excuse in establishing themselves at the unity wreckage to preserve the wreckage from war :P

sorry for dissapearing for several days, been busy, tired, working, hot, etc.......