Old July 11, 2001, 15:21   #1
Arator
Warlord

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If What We Have Seen Of Civ III's Terrain Is All There Is, It Sucks!
We have just recieved a whole passle of new screenshots, and every one of them is the same as before, terrain-wise. In all the screenshots we've seen to date, we see:

Brown mountains.

Pea green rivers and shallows.

Azure seas.

Scrubby forests.

Sandy deserts.

Arid looking plains, grasslands, and hills.

In other words, every continent we've seen so far looks like Southern California or the Mediterranean. There is no sense of changing global climatic zones. I've seen no snow-capped mountains, no dense primeval forests, no lush tropical jungles, no icy tundra, no glaciers, no swampy lowlands, no frigid (and blue) northern seas.

I was really hoping that Firaxis would refine its terrain generator so that it would generate the kinds of climatic variations and zones we find on planet earth. This would only enhance and deepen the exploration experience and offer unique challenges and advantages depending on which climatic zone one inhabited.

If, instead, the entire Civ-globe is to be Southern California/Mediterranean in appearence, Firaxis has blown it big time, IMHO.
Old July 11, 2001, 16:53   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:28
I wouldn't leap to conclusions. I would bet good money that they would have more than Brown mountains. Pea green rivers and shallows. Azure seas. Scrubby forests. Sandy deserts. Arid looking plains, grasslands, and hills. .

I'm sure someone has a link to some pictures with glaciers/tundra for a start.
Old July 11, 2001, 17:29   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:28
Certainly a valid concern considering Firaxis is talking about a "Fall release"! One can still hope they're just holding back the good stuff to surprise us later, right? Right? ...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 11, 2001, 17:37   #4
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 21:28
I share your optimism Yin........but but......from the way Firaxis has seemed to "handle" the development of civ3.....it wouldn't suprise me if we don't see snow capped mountains.

The most annoying thing for me so far though is the way the roads are simply pasted on top of the mountains.
Old July 11, 2001, 17:52   #5
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 11:28
"If, instead, the entire Civ-globe is to be Southern California/Mediterranean in appearence, Firaxis has blown it big time, IMHO."

Blown it big time?

If Firaxis gave each of you a million dollar check you'd all be complaining about the color of the ink.
Old July 11, 2001, 20:00   #6
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

image: My vain attempt at posting almost 100 non-spam posts tonight to get up to 400. Well over 30 so not bad. two more nights You know you've been up too long when the milk in the cereal bowl from the breakfast you had at 1:00am because there's nothing else edible in the house starts to congeal and grow like something out of Evolution

and back to the thread. All I can say is hopefully we'll be able to change the graphics and believe me I'll be one of the first to do so. those mountains are so goddamn ugly. And the roads that should be behind the mountains actually show up in front of them. It's like something from a blenderer's nightmare.
Old July 11, 2001, 20:06   #7
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Great that's just great almost forty non-spam posts and my last one I have to spam cause I forgot the image typical

Why can't we upload an image by editing the message??
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vain.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	939  
Old July 11, 2001, 21:53   #8
Bkeela
King

I agree whole heartedly that the graphics are a major let down. From what I've seen of screen shots, it seems that we are to be subjected yet again to the incredibly ugly knot of roads and railways that the pathetic Firaxis artists seem only to be able to produce. The roads across the mountains are hideous. I find even the grey/black cities to be an eye sore.

I would rather see a major focus on a pleasing map and landscape, than clever animated units. For at the end of the day, when you sit back to survey your civilisation, it is not the units that catch your eye, but the sprawl of your kingdom.

Despite this, I believe the game will be worthwhile for the fantastic gameplay improvements. However, it would be nice to have the cake with nice icing though.

Bkeela.
Old July 12, 2001, 04:59   #9
Mannamagnus
Prince

I realy like the graphics. I think they look fresh and will not distract my attention from the game. The only minus I can remember is the river/mountain tile.
Old July 12, 2001, 05:06   #10
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 13:28
It's a shame that Apolyton don't do official polls anymore.
It would be nice to see what people think of the grafics, but theese small polls by anybody has created an inflation in participants.
(Couse right now I'd vote for CTPII-graphics.)
Old July 12, 2001, 11:55   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chronus
If Firaxis gave each of you a million dollar check you'd all be complaining about the color of the ink.
I'd certainly complain about ink so faded the cashier wouldn't accept it! The rest, I'd cash in a hurry then wait for it to clear before coming back to ***** about how bad it was

Seriously though, I'd be happier with the colour range and terrain diversity of Civ2.
Old July 12, 2001, 12:40   #12
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Chronus
Nobody told me that was an option

The graphics seem way too much like CTP, without the kind of diversity I'd like to see. Completely flat, level terrain with these mountains shooting out of them, rivers whose course ignores local terrain (and physics), and some seriously funny looking mountain roads.

I agree with bkeela that an improved overall appearance would make me happier than animated units (which I'll probably turn off it that's an option).
Old July 12, 2001, 13:39   #13
Mahdimael
Prince

I have to agree that the mountains look a little silly...maybe if they didn't stick out so much, they'd look better. Even better would be mountain ranges, so that mountains that were next to each other would be connected. The mountains that have hills around them look much better, in comparison.

I have a feeling that these aren't the final road and river graphics, but I'm having a hard time imagining a simple way to show players that a tile has a road/river, especially on the mountains.

I believe if they lowered the terrain a bit, it would have a better overall effect
Old July 12, 2001, 14:36   #14
SITS
King

Personally I like quite alot of the graphics, including the terrain. I'm not a great believer that everything has to be realistic but it does need to be consistant. And from what I see there is a consistant theme that runs through it. Didn't I read a Firaxis interview where they based the graphics on a particular famous painting? (Not sure which one or what it looks like.)

At least I know it is a moutain by looking at it which is 10 times better than SMAC. As to the diverisity there is a fair bit - there are different kind of trees and moutains. Also we are seeing it at a distance - which is needed to have it proper scale.

So, basically, I like it!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old July 12, 2001, 14:49   #15
OneFootInTheGrave
King

we need better looking irrigation, and a bette color mix.

Bluer sea, brown/ white mountains. maybe even green ones (mountines in the jungle)

We could have a cpombination of a hill and wood, as well as a plain hill only.

i am not sure if too many therrains would be too hard for AI/ PC, but if not than at least existing terrain types copuld be a bit better looking.

Hopefully they will allow players to modify terrain and put their own 'imagination' at work.
Old July 12, 2001, 14:53   #16
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 08:28
Let's form a league to get a completely new set of graphics as soon as the game comes out.

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old July 12, 2001, 16:28   #17
tniem
King

I still push for 3-D terrain. I have said all along that this look for graphics is not going to cut it in today's computer gaming market. I just don't want to have to play this game for multiple years with updated Civ 2 graphics, I push for updated SMAC graphics (yes colors to dark but that can be changed).

But that is just me.
Old July 12, 2001, 17:09   #18
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Remember: (a) The graphical concept of this game was to model the looks on that picture of the tower of babel by that Dutch guy I can't remember the name of. I think it's an interesting idea and well excecuted, but even if you disagree you must give them the credit of actually having created a congruent graphical theme that was opposed to your idea rather than simply ommitting anything. If mountains are only brown, there is a reason for it other than "lack of time".

(b) These graphics are vastly superior to SMAC's, not to mention CtPs. Look at screenshots of those games again and compare. To call them sub-SMAC is laughable. The decision not to use the cumbersome pseudo-3D terrain system of SMAC was not a graphical decision, it was a gameplay decision.
Old July 12, 2001, 17:59   #19
SITS
King

Thanks for the tip Snapcase. I found the painting it is here.

and it's by Abel Grimmer (1570-1619)....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old July 12, 2001, 18:42   #20
Mahdimael
Prince

Undoubtedly the graphics are better than prior incarnations. I would have no trouble playing with them. Even so, it doesn't hurt to give our opinions. I like my mountains pointy and snow-capped.

After looking at the screenshots again, it does look like the roads and rivers are plastered on the top of the map. Perhaps terrain tilesets that incorporate the roads and rivers would be better, even if they take a bit longer to make.
Old July 12, 2001, 21:24   #21
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

If the Civ3 graphics are based off of Abel Grimmer, then the game is going to look like a Renassance Painting through all the ages. It would be very impressive if the interface (and possably the graphics) changed with the time period.

Firaxis should have picked Bob Ross as their guide If you know who he is, I hope you get a laugh from that

Old July 12, 2001, 22:48   #22
Chronus
Prince

Quote:
I'd certainly complain about ink so faded the cashier wouldn't accept it! The rest, I'd cash in a hurry then wait for it to clear before coming back to ***** about how bad it was
Quote:
Nobody told me that was an option
LOL!

I'm glad to see my last post wasn't taken all that seriously. Then again, NONE of my posts are taken seriously!
Old July 13, 2001, 00:03   #23
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:28
Re: If What We Have Seen Of Civ III's Terrain Is All There Is, It Sucks!
Quote:
Originally posted by Arator
If What We Have Seen Of Civ III's Terrain Is All There Is, It Sucks!
Here! Here!
Old July 13, 2001, 00:16   #24
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

it is good enough for a Turn based startegy game... this game is not about the latest greatest graphics but the best damn strategy gaem ever
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 13, 2001, 15:18   #25
Mahdimael
Prince

that's true, rasputin, but as long as you're making graphics, you might as well make them look nice, right? I know that we all say we don't care what the graphics look like as long as the gameplay is good. Well, I'm pretty sure I would stick to Civ2 if Civ3 were in Extended ASCII

Seriously, though- We're all going to get this game, but what about those who have never seen a civ game..they're going to judge it by the way it looks.
Old July 13, 2001, 15:34   #26
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
I agree with rasputin, its ok for a strategy game, I do want to be able to play this game on a PC built within the last MONTH
Before anyone starts saying, well it won't take that much more to get better graphics IT WAS A JOKE. The specifics given already equal my machine P 300
Old July 13, 2001, 15:39   #27
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
I agree with rasputin, its ok for a strategy game, I do want to be able to play this game on a PC built within the last MONTH
Before anyone starts saying, well it won't take that much more to get better graphics IT WAS A JOKE. The specifics given already equal my machine P 300
Old July 13, 2001, 18:53   #28
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
Remember: (a) The graphical concept of this game was to model the looks on that picture of the tower of babel.
Huh? Great painting, but is it really a picture of crisp clarity for modelling a computer game on? I think not.
Old July 13, 2001, 19:00   #29
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i concur.

but it's to late for a massive gfx overhaul.
Old July 13, 2001, 22:47   #30
joseph1944

Quote:
graphics
Well I hope they take another look at the roads on the Mountain.
The rest of the graphics are OK by me.