Old September 12, 2000, 23:05   #91
Murgatroyd
King

Local Time: 15:44
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I found an interesting cheat in ToT. I had installed it and started a game. I then installed the (upgrade? patch?) and reloaded the game. To my surprise, I could then research Ultrastring Theory. I did so, and soon had Colonists on Alpha Centauri. This was before the discovery of Gunpowder. I then researched my way to Genetic Engineering as quickly as possible. This gave me overwhelmingly superior units for the next few millennia. (The computer players also researched Ultrastring Theory at the same time and founded a few cities on Alpha Centauri, but they didn't have the foresight to direct their research like I did.)

Murgatroyd

------------------
I am collecting information about deleted threads. If you have had a thread deleted recently, please post here
[This message has been edited by Murgatroyd (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old October 10, 2000, 08:18   #92
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:44
***shameless bump***
Old October 10, 2000, 20:37   #93
Spider
Warlord

Local Time: 23:44
Apropos of the last few posts:

I recently encountered this settler/city anomoly. I've only seen it the one time, and I've not tried to reproduce the results, but if anyone has the inclination to try to pin this down, here's what happened.

In a multiplayer game, I was trying to found a city, with a settler, on a mountain square. I pressed the "B" button to found the city and waited. There's usually a couple second wait while the city is founded, but this time the "lag" turned out to be a complete disconnection from the host. I notified the host that I had "hung up", and was instructed to hot join. Upon re-entering the game, I was met with a new city, PLUS my settler was in the city. (An additional note: I believe I already had an archer fortified on the mountain square, as well.)

I have no idea which of the above conditions is relevant. Nor do I have the patience to try and find out. Knock your socks off, people.
Old October 11, 2000, 10:37   #94
bloodlust
Settler

* (Hi Ming Please delete this Message. Done by error. Sorry!) *

[This message has been edited by bloodlust (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old October 11, 2000, 10:40   #95
bloodlust
Settler

Here are my "cheats". You can also call it tactics :
  • If it is impossible for your troop (by ZOC) to move in a certain direction, the games shows you all troops that makes the move impossible on the map. Even cities will be shown!
    That means: You have a AI troop standing adjunct you. Try to move to a place that is also on it's neighborhood. If there is a second troop, that stand adjunct this second place, it will pop up on screen. Even out of the black. Also you can see the terrain, where it stands on. Same with cities.
  • One thing that was changed from civ1 to civ2, that I don't like (all these other changes I really like ), is, if you unload the troops out of a ship they lost only 1 move for that. Therefore you can use the 2nd move, say of a Dragoon, to attack a city. This makes them even more powerful than the marines, which was, IMHO, constructed for shore attack. More, because on that way you also able to attack cities that aren't at shore's, but even one square behind them.
    In civ1 it was a great challenge for me to establishing a "bridgehead" on a new country (D-Day like). In addition with this possibility barbarians/raiders with dragoons on boards was a danger, that can't be avoid. (Strange thing I saw one time, maybe a program error: I've got raiders spring out of a little see (one ocean square surrounded completely with land terrain) right in the middle of my thick continent: That can't performed by any AI opponent! )

[This message has been edited by bloodlust (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old August 5, 2001, 07:20   #96
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
bump
Ming, do you refresh the first post, i.e. do you include propositions there?
Old August 5, 2001, 10:29   #97
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:44
Nahhh... I haven't refreshed or updated the first post. The first post was sent along to Firaxis with the rest of the ideas that were generated in the Civ III forums. That was the original purpose of this thread. I made a copy of the thread, and put it here so more people could see it. (Somebody asked me do it)

Keep on Civin'
Old August 5, 2001, 13:10   #98
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010