Old July 18, 2001, 22:21   #31
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 05:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have been playing the game in my free time and found two things I should've found when I was playtesting it. When a RUSSIAN missle boat attacked me it told me that a finback attacked me. The other thing is that you credited the Marine to Andrew Livings. It looks a hell of a lot like a special forces unit I made. I suppose I could be wrong though.

The rest is all good so far though.
Old July 19, 2001, 00:14   #32
Dracon II
King

Local Time: 21:33
Raging Dracon, eh?
I'm loving this scenario. I've totally destroyed Pakistan as the Indians and I'm moving into China and The Arab countries. Next time I'll be sure to play on a harder setting.

Msn: juebizi AT gmail DOT com
Old July 19, 2001, 00:40   #33
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Jimmy, I'm verry sorry about the Marine - I originally used one of Andrews graphics, and must have forgotton the change the credit in the readme when I changed the graphic
If anyone spots similar mistakes could you please let me know so I can fix it in future updates

Also, are you sure about the missile boat? I've never had any problems with this

Dracon, I've been thinking about making a set of events for India for a while now, I'm pleased to see that at least one person would be interested in this. While India is definetly playable, you really should play as China to get the most out of the scenario.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old July 19, 2001, 04:42   #34
Dracon II
King

On the contrary, I'd contend that all the nations would be very playable.
But China does seem to be the center of all the action.

Msn: juebizi AT gmail DOT com
Old July 19, 2001, 05:48   #35
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 07:33
After playing a few minutes as Russia in this scenario, let's just say that I'm inspired...

with your permission, I'd like to rebuild a new version of this scenario from a completely Russian perspective, with a lot of Unit Changes, a different map, and simply a Russian vs. China situation from the eyes of Russia (sort of a Red Front II)

Also I found it curious that you used the Mikoyan I-2000 bid for the LFI as the pic for the J-12.
Old July 19, 2001, 07:01   #36
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 12:33
I`ve found that playing as NATO can be interesting, if a little easy. If you keep Taiwan stocked up with Eurofighters and F-15s, China will waste half of it`s J-12s attacking you and Russia will kick ten shades of **** into China.
Old July 19, 2001, 14:39   #37
Jimmywax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Case

Also, are you sure about the missile boat? I've never had any problems with this
I am pretty sure, but I will go back and check just to make sure. It may have been a fluke.
Old July 19, 2001, 19:30   #38
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
with your permission, I'd like to rebuild a new version of this scenario from a completely Russian perspective, with a lot of Unit Changes, a different map, and simply a Russian vs. China situation from the eyes of Russia (sort of a Red Front II)
Sure, go for it! I'd love to see how it turns out. If you want I'll dig through my hard drive for files which may be of use to you.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
Also I found it curious that you used the Mikoyan I-2000 bid for the LFI as the pic for the J-12.
Is it? All I know about the unit is that it was used by Andrew Livings to represent a future fighter and it looked appropriate as a J-12. I thought that it was one of the contenders in the American JSF project

Jimmy, I did a bit of checking about the missile boat, and encountered no problems (I did find a few embarrasing typos though ). Has anyone else had this problem?
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Last edited by Case; July 19, 2001 at 19:39.
Old July 20, 2001, 17:13   #39
klesh
King

its the XY-24,000 megafighter!!!
Case,

I noticed in the intro screen it says you are having problems with the Diplomats talking 'bout nuclear weapons despite the lack of them in the game. Why don't you edit their 'scripts' in the game.txt? I went in and noticed that all of the lines associated with the nuke threats etc are left as normal. If you changed the texts around, you could make it more of a 'conventional weapons' threat. I just loaded her up, and will look around some more.

Wait!... I just noticed that the unit in the nuke slot is some kind of fighter/strike plane. Since this is just a regular unit, and not worth mentioning in the diplomacy screen...
Beware of our might Armies, for they are supported by the incredible XY-24,000 megafighter!
You indeed might just want to make it a generic threat that only the nations with access to that fighter/strike aircraft will give.
I hope this can solve your problem, I don't know how much other trouble you've had with nuclear-type popups, but you can clear all of it up in the game.txt.

FMK.

Last edited by klesh; July 20, 2001 at 17:19.
Old July 22, 2001, 15:36   #40
Jimmywax
Prince

Okay, it is like november 2001 and I am at war with everyone except the Arabs and Pakitani's (destroyed by India). Apec declares war on me every other turn and after I took Korea, Nato won't keep their treaties. I am assuming that this is in the events file. Is there anyway to get Nato to quit attacking me. I am starting to run in the red as far as my units go.
Old July 22, 2001, 22:03   #41
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax
Is there anyway to get Nato to quit attacking me. I am starting to run in the red as far as my units go.
Once NATO is given the declaration of war tech they never make peace with China and build up a massive force in Okinawa and Tiawan. On the plus side, they never seem to invade China in strengh (though I have had APEC do this)
Old July 23, 2001, 02:06   #42
Jimmywax
Prince

That makes me feel a little better. I guess I will just have to build some more aircover to hold them back.

All in all, I think that it is a very enjoyable scenario. It is a lot of fun to play, well done Case my boy.
Old July 23, 2001, 02:44   #43
Eternal
King

Local Time: 06:33
I downloaded it but I'm too busy to play it. I can't wait til I get NATOPact out of the way so I can try it.
Old July 27, 2001, 00:31   #44
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Small question: Do you happen to have a unit slot free? If so, might I suggest that you include a patrol boat unit? I mean, the missile boat's cool, but I just like the patrol boat grafic. Not sure if you know it, but it's been in a few scenarios.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:31   #45
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mao
Small question: Do you happen to have a unit slot free? If so, might I suggest that you include a patrol boat unit? I mean, the missile boat's cool, but I just like the patrol boat grafic. Not sure if you know it, but it's been in a few scenarios.
I'm not all that attached to the 'future units', but I can't see the purpose of a patrol boat. In my opinion all it would do is duplicate the missile boat or destroyer units.
However, China does have literally hundreds of these ships, so you may have a point

Is this the patrol boat graphic you mentioned:
Attached Images:

Old July 28, 2001, 21:17   #46
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Yeah, that's the grafic.

I'd also like to inquire as to why the missile boats have a cruise missile flag on them (ie: destroyed after attacking).
Old July 28, 2001, 21:39   #47
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mao
I'd also like to inquire as to why the missile boats have a cruise missile flag on them (ie: destroyed after attacking).
Two reasons:
a) To make them appropriatly powerful without causing them to be overused
b) To simulate the vulnerability of missile boats

Anyway they're dirt cheap so don't see this as a problem

BTW, did you encounter the same problems with the missile boat attack message that Jimmywax did?
Old July 29, 2001, 18:49   #48
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Actually, I've kinda learned to ignore those messages because when I play WWII scenarios I always get messages like "Winston Churchill attack near London!" when I get hit with a V1/V2/Okha. And other weird messages like that. I'll pay more attention to it now if you want.
Old July 30, 2001, 15:32   #49
Jimmywax
Prince

I had a really weird one the other day that told me a Despot attacked me by Frankfurt. I had no units anywhere close to Frankfurt.
Old August 4, 2001, 11:30   #50
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 19:33
Case,

I was just wondering. Is there any reason why you did the scenario without sound?
Old August 5, 2001, 06:28   #51
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
Case,

I was just wondering. Is there any reason why you did the scenario without sound?
Mainly because I never play civ with the speakers on

Also, I wanted to keep the size of the download as small as possible.
Old August 6, 2001, 15:12   #52
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 12:33
Fantastic scenario Case, probably the best modern warfare scenario I've played. I'm puzzled however as why you didn't choose to include nuclear weapons in the scenario? I thought they would play a fairly major part in a war like this.
Old August 6, 2001, 19:11   #53
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by our_man
I'm puzzled however as why you didn't choose to include nuclear weapons in the scenario? I thought they would play a fairly major part in a war like this.
I agree, it isn't realistic. I included nukes in earlier versions of the scenario, but I found that the scenario quickly degenerated into a dull nuclear slug-fest, instead of the major conventional war I was hoping for

I may include nuclear weapons in 'Raging Tiger' - the scenario modified for play as India (should I ever finish it )
Old August 6, 2001, 21:35   #54
SunTzu
Prince

Local Time: 11:33
Suggestion
How about 'Raging White Guys' designed to be played as NATO
Old August 7, 2001, 23:15   #55
Jimmywax
Prince

Hey ,I take offense to the term 'White Guys'. I prefer to be called a 'Cracker' .
Old August 8, 2001, 19:41   #56
Case
Emperor

mmm, given NATO's reputation a better title might be 'Artifically Excited PR Executives'