View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Great Wall in MP games?
I play city bribe and Great Wall should be in. 3 12.50%
No city bribe and Great Wall should be in. 10 41.67%
I play city bribe and The Wall should be out. 0 0%
No city bribe and The Wall should be out. 4 16.67%
Duels only, no city bribe equals no Wall. 3 12.50%
Doesn't make a difference. 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20, 2001, 14:37   #31
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Caesar you make many valid points. The Great Wall isn't the best wonder and your right, it's effectiveness is greatly reduced due to the fact that it expires so quickly. In a four+ games though it can be a life saver. If you can affoard it, its a good investment but there are better wonders out there.

I just think with no bribing that the GW makes taking cities as you stated a near impossibility
Old July 21, 2001, 03:06   #32
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:34
Quote:

Raz....with trade routes, you don't need the improvements quite as early. remember the earlier you set em up, the quicker they give off a return.
Not sure i understand nor agree war .. I have founf that without wonders you need to build temples coloseums and cathedrals to keep people happy, I usually go for trade right after monarchy , but usuallly find my citys go into riot whilts building caravans so i have to then build Temples etc.... and then build more caras ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 21, 2001, 11:22   #33
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:34
Raz i would need to see saves to know what your doing wrong. Against the ai , your defense can be alot of warriors.... a few dips and a few horses...... aggressively find the other civs, taking out one if you can and then get those settlers out.

the game revolves aroiund trade so you need those routes up quick. I play on all types of maps but it makes no difference what map size you play.....the concept is the same.

if your rival is friendly and on another continent, send all caravans to his biggest city. if the ai is on the same continent, send your caravans to your cap or biggest trade city.

set up those routes..... keep expanding , build improvements in this order..... temple, market, library. Your going to capture pyramids later so you dont need them.

Beeline to invention for the upgrades if you feel defense is weak.... its only around 20techs to get there. ......besides the ai is slow to MONO and THEO

you may lose out in the SSC race but thats ok, you dont really need it against the ai.

but i must stress....after your initial expansion..... build caravans and nothing else and watch the returns come in.

rememmber raz.... you should only build improvements one at a time and your should rush build them after you have a row or a few......don't waste turns building them when you could be building other things.

one of the best tips i learned a long time ago is to rush build things that take more than four turns to complete..... it saves me time and cash in the long run
Old July 21, 2001, 14:16   #34
markusf
King

Local Time: 11:34
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand

The one thing you have in common with MouthOfNight, is that no matter what the subject is, if you get it the game's over.
I don't know why the rest of us don't just blow off Civ, Markus.
I mean, what's the point?

Do something besides build caravans.
uhm that is what i mostly play now days, because 9 times out of 10 the game is over before dem if we play with wonders
Old July 21, 2001, 21:33   #35
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:34
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
Raz i would need to see saves to know what your doing wrong.
Next game i paly i might just do that ... send you soem saved gmes..
Quote:
Against the ai , your defense can be alot of warriors.... a few dips and a few horses......
thats all i usually have , except little dips , usuualy just warriors in citys and horses out looking ...
Quote:
aggressively find the other civs, taking out one if you can
this actualy usually assures the other civs immediatly ganging up on me nad never being friendly, usuually attacking my caras when the yland overseas
Quote:
and then get those settlers out.
i usuually pump out warrior, horse (if i hav ethe tech) settlers, till i discover trade...
Quote:
the game revolves aroiund trade so you need those routes up quick.
i do this as uick s possible, but again i find that my city normlly grows too quick and has to be placated by either more warriors or a temple..
Quote:
if your rival is friendly
never found a friendly AI
Quote:
and on another continent, send all caravans to his biggest city. if the ai is on the same continent, send your caravans to your cap or biggest trade city.
ok i havent been doing that , i usuualy trade where ever possible with foriegn civs not my own
Quote:
set up those routes..... keep expanding
cant seem to do both at once, build cara and settlers...
Quote:
, build improvements in this order..... temple, market, library. Your going to capture pyramids later so you dont need them.
i never build pyramids as i agree try to capture it , unless i playing a no wondr game .. and i usuually folllow that improvemtn order too, unless my people unhappy then i i give them a coluseum or cathedral too..
Quote:
Beeline to invention for the upgrades if you feel defense is weak....
no wonders games now

Quote:
but i must stress....after your initial expansion..... build caravans and nothing else and watch the returns come in.
maybe my problem is too much early expansion, how many citys should i build ???
Quote:
rememmber raz.... you should only build improvements one at a time
you mean only one city at a time ? why ??
Quote:
and your should rush build them after you have a row or a few......don't waste turns building them when you could be building other things.
always do if i have the money
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71