Old August 9, 2001, 07:23   #91
Morr-go
Settler

Local Time: 13:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dale, thanks! I'll test those instructions soon. (And come back whining if those won't work )
Old August 9, 2001, 20:22   #92
Oddible
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:36
Am loving the Apolyton Pack, thanks so much for everyone's efforts.

Having some issues perhaps some can elucidate...
Playing on Gigantic Maps

1) After I hit End Turn and just prior to the AIs' turns (as indicated by the color turn bar), periodically the system takes FOREVER to advance to the AI turns. The turn bar is black, the End Turn button has stopped blinking, nothin I do has any effect until the first AI's turn starts. Sometimes its just a few seconds, but at times, the wait can be up to 3-5 minutes!!! Will the 1.01 update help? Has anyone else seen this?

2) Same game, I am very far into this game. The saved game loads fine, but when I hit end turn, as soon as the first AI's turn starts, the game crashes and unloads. Worked fine until this turn (2568?). I can't get around this and its pretty much killing me. Have I played too long? Is there a maximum year I can play to? How do I get around this?!?

Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old August 9, 2001, 21:10   #93
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36
Morr-go:
Good luck mate.

Oddible:
Thanks. Now to your questions:
1 - Gigantic and the Ultra-gigantic maps take a LOT out of your PC. I have a P3-666 with 256 RAM and I get long slowdowns after a few hundred turns. This is probably what's happening.
2 - End game year in Apolyton Pack = 2200AD. Anything after that is lucky.
Old August 10, 2001, 01:14   #94
janilxx
Warlord

wrong thread, sorry
Old August 11, 2001, 01:18   #95
PapaMonkey
Settler

Local Time: 11:36
City Walls
This mod is great. Very challenging. I am by no means an expert, so I am getting my butt whipped!

Question though. I am being attacked (frequently!) at my cities. Anytime I defend a city with a City wall I loose the wall. Is this intentional?!? I often loose pop too, but I kinda expect that. Loosing the wall really hurts. It is a one shot deal?!?

Just let me know if that is the way it should be or not. And thanks for making this great MOD.
Old August 11, 2001, 10:33   #96
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
2) Same game, I am very far into this game. The saved game loads fine, but when I hit end turn, as soon as the first AI's turn starts, the game crashes and unloads. Worked fine until this turn (2568?). I can't get around this and its pretty much killing me. Have I played too long? Is there a maximum year I can play to? How do I get around this?!?
So far as I know there is no limit but as I gave the AI every tech and enough PW to be able to build every tile improvement, I went into the same problem. So here is my question How many techs have the AI. Discovered it the gaia controller and if yes it is able to build obelisks? To test this you should open the cheat editor and remove this advance or the PW and test. You should also try this in an unmodded game giving the AI all advances a enough PW.

So you will see what will happen.

-Martin
Old August 13, 2001, 04:35   #97
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36
Apolyton Pack update v1.02!
Here it is guys, the final update. I can now breath easy.

Fixes:
- Aqueduct bug where it didn't appear for some people.
- Air unit SLIC error. Slight modification to airunit.slc file.
- Terraforming. Hills now terraformable with Advance: Explosives.

Available from:
http://www.mydocsonline.com
Login name: hexagonia
password: hextapul

Go to folder Apolyton Pack and download the file apolyton_update_1.02.zip

Unzip the file to your base Call to Power 2 directory (default: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ or C:\PROGRAM FILES\CALL TO POWER 2\).

IMPORTANT:
1. Read the readme.txt in the Apolyton Readmes folder. Has been updated!
2. You MUST start a new game and reload the Apolyton Pack through the Modswapper. The Great Library has been changed and must be updated.

Well, that's it for me. It's been fun modding for CTP2 and I thank everyone for their help/suggestions/compliments.
Old August 17, 2001, 01:01   #98
janilxx
Warlord

As you might know I have tried to get a "perfect" gaming enjoyment a long time with MedPack. But I think I did not

got as many wars or city captures as other players. So what did I do?

I burned Apolyton pack and took that home.

My first game:
Normal size map, 8 players. Impossible and hardest barbarians(first time ever the hardest barbarians).

Weird things:
1. AI started to build wonder(pyramids) in second turn. And in turn three or four pyramids was ready. That was quite

fast wasn't that
2. Many AIs started to build wonders very early. That is ok if AIs are so much powerful than I and they get many

cities quite fast in the beginning of the game.

Barbarians:
I saw barbarians with catapults at the beginning of the game. I did not see one catapult unit but many. That felt so

unrealistic that I ended my game and started new one.

My second game:
Normal size map, 8 players. Impossible and level 2 barbarians(normal).

In first 50 turns I saw two wars!!! I was not in those but there were wars(there were only few wars in MedPack). In

turn 75 I gt third war. And in 86 I got the fourth. And in this point I really thought that this is CTP2 the way

it should be!
I have not heared city capture sounds but from CTRL-K dialog I saw that at least one AI have been

beated quite badly.

I offered 100 money to my neighbor and he accepted that. But that fu**ing bastard did ask for another 100 money in

next turn(and he was angry)! I loved that! This is an another thing that I did not see with MedPack.

I will hear often slaver voice when someone gets slavers(but actually I am quite sure those slavers are taken from

orange player(than god ). So this means that slavers are used a lot in the beginning of the game. Good!

About in turn 90 I went to sleep but I checked CTRL-K dialog and saw that I suck a lot. I was totally a piece of

****. The number one was about ten times "bigger" than I. And if I remember right the number 7 was about 5-7 times

as "big" as I am. So I am really a sucker. This means that AIs will get more helps in the beginning of the game than

in MedPack but I do not think that this is a bad thing. Maybe this just means that impossible really is impossible

and usually players should play in second hardest level(not the hardest(impossible)).

I think that CTP2 could after all be a game worth to play!

Thanks modders!

--

Day2.
I did not got my post sent yesterday(that post is above). So I played more yesterday evening. I saw one more war and

I saw one citycapture. There might have been more city captures but now I have confirmed one.

The game is still great and very hard I saw another AI. He had 10 cities and you can guess how many I had... I

had three cities in that point My starting point was too bad. There were only room for three cities. But now I

have expanded a little and I have 7 cities. And I am very slowly getting higher in CTRL-K list

--

Day3.
Again... I couldn't send my post yesterday. I hope Apolyton works fine now.
Now I have seen almost 10 citycaptures. The game seems to be very good. There is only few questions. Does AI's make peace with other AI ever(with whom he is at war)? And what does it mean that AI's diplomat is meeting mine in even ground(or something like that it was(message popped))?

And I finally got my possibility to suggeeed in the game. In turn 207 I got monarcy. Now it is time to get those older advances(like slaverly etc).
Old August 17, 2001, 09:49   #99
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Hey Janilxx

CTP2 does have potential, doesn't it!!!! That's what we been trying to say. (for all of you lurkers out there who are skeptical of the whole CTP series)

The settings in DiffDb do give the AI a lot of benefits. Some people may think this is unfair, but the fact is all of the civ-style games (CIV2, SMAC and I suspect CIV3) use this principle to help the AI - The settings in the out-of-the-box CTP2 game did not push the envelope enough, and actually made it easier for the human player to catch the AI when the AI had a lead.

That's no longer the case now...

As for the barbarians/catapult setup, the barbs are released as the most advanced unit available to any of the civs - it is entirely possible that one of the other civs has the ability to build catapults already.

But that can also be due to the fact that you are playing on the hardest settings. I do know that the Apolyton Pack settings are harder than MedMod (since those settings are from Cradle)

Good luck
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 20, 2001, 01:03   #100
janilxx
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
CTP2 does have potential, doesn't it!!!! That's what we been trying to say. (for all of you lurkers out there who are skeptical of the whole CTP series)
You might remember me from the MedPack thread. I have whined out there a lot that AI is too nice or kind to me. (I have tried MedPack since its first public beta(I suppose it was february or march?). And I have heard that AI is aggressive with many players but it was not aggressive in my games.

But when I tried Apol Pack I got the aggressive AI that I wanted. Now I have had many city captures and wars.

BTW does AI vs AI wars ever end?

Quote:
As for the barbarians/catapult setup, the barbs are released as the most advanced unit available to any of the civs - it is entirely possible that one of the other civs has the ability to build catapults already.
I suppose this was the ccase because I was playing impossible. But I hated that, there were too many barbarians. Now I am playing with normal barbarians settings.

Quote:
But that can also be due to the fact that you are playing on the hardest settings. I do know that the Apolyton Pack settings are harder than MedMod (since those settings are from Cradle)
Yes I am playing hardest(impossible). And the start was hard. In fact it was not hard but I was just a really badly the worst player. Ten times worse than the number one. But I headed right to the monarcy and after that I got a good boost. And then I headed to the Diplomatic and recognized that I got republic with diplomatics too So my nation is republic and the year is 1AD. Now I am really getting upper in CTRL-K list. I suppose I am number 5 or 6(total 8) in rank.

I have not been in wars because I have tried to be a nice guy to all AIs.
Old August 20, 2001, 13:05   #101
Morr-go
Settler

Well I'm back, but hold that curse word there...IT DOES WORK!
The instructions made me see the big picture and then after some thinking I tried something new and it it works!
Thanks a dozen for that, but say...do you know if there's any way to move back the "dead-line" (the game ends normally 2200 A.D if I remember right)?
Old August 20, 2001, 15:32   #102
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Originally posted by janilxx
BTW does AI vs AI wars ever end?
The Apolyton Pack uses Diplo 3.6, which should allow the AI to make peace with one another. Cradle uses 3.5 which locks the AI into a warmoger state - MedMod is the most diplomatic/peaceful of the mods (it uses a slightly different version of 3.6).

Needless to say, I prefer 3.5, and am happy with a more unpredictable and backstabbing AI.

Quote:
Originally posted by janilxx
Yes I am playing hardest(impossible). And the start was hard. In fact it was not hard but I was just a really badly the worst player. Ten times worse than the number one. But I headed right to the monarcy and after that I got a good boost. And then I headed to the Diplomatic and recognized that I got republic with diplomatics too So my nation is republic and the year is 1AD. Now I am really getting upper in CTRL-K list. I suppose I am number 5 or 6(total 8) in rank.
From what I can tell, the AI will act different based on its standing on the Power Graph. In my games, when I was near the bottom of the chart, I could not dictate terms to the AI (seems realistic to me), but once I got a good lead on some of the civs, I could demand peace/stop tresspass and get it. So boosting the AI at the beginning of the game will actually make for a better game in the long haul. Comparing MedMod, Cradle, and Apolyton Pack, the AI will start out with more advances, gold, settlers in ApolytonPack/Cradle.

If you want to try an experiment, go into the DiffDb.txt files for both ApolytonPack and MedMod and compare the numbers. You could boost the numbers in MedMod, so that the AI will get more advances/settlers/gold/PW at the beginning of the game.

Same with the risks.txt (goody hut and barb settings). Compare the two and see what you want to change in MedMod. My preference is to remove the ability to get free advances, and severely limit getting new cities/settlers, because those will greatly close the gap between the human player and the AI in the early going. The consequence is that you catch and overtake the AI a lot sooner, and then complain that the game is too easy I believe that adjusting those two files in MedMod will change the nature of a MedMod game.

If you want to take it further, compare MedMod's strategies.txt and Goals.txt files with the ones in Cradle/ApolytonPack. Those numbers will dictate the priorities for the AI including attacking, pillaging, exploring goody huts and so forth.

Morr-go
Locate the APOL.const.txt file (or whatever Dale used for his file prefix) - there is a line of text in there that determines the ending year of the game. Change it to whatever you want.

You will know it when you see it
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Last edited by hexagonian; August 20, 2001 at 15:37.
Old August 21, 2001, 01:10   #103
janilxx
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
If you want to try an experiment, go into the ...
Thanks for telling that. Maybe I will try to change medpack's values someday but now I am going to play few games to the end(I have not played further than to year 1500AD after I started to test medpack in february). And one my game will last about 1-2 months so maybe I will try this in december
Old August 24, 2001, 13:30   #104
Todesengel
Settler

hm, can´t build the zero crime bill, althoug all related files (ver 1.02 are looking all right to me. Has anybody faced the same problem? Any ideas?

Praise the Dale
Old August 30, 2001, 16:52   #105
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Local Time: 12:36
Dale: Your name/password does not work for me. Error message. Is something morre required, like a registration first?
Old August 30, 2001, 17:21   #106
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

The MyDocs Account is no longer public access. Get the files from http://www.geocities.com/hexagonia now.
Old August 31, 2001, 06:27   #107
Todesengel
Settler

Hej,
I changed the units.txt - now the Destroyer can bombard the shore as discribed in the manuel.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt apol_units.txt (96.7 KB, 30 views)
Old August 31, 2001, 06:32   #108
Todesengel
Settler

sorry about the spelling...
Old September 4, 2001, 07:54   #109
inMotion
Settler

Local Time: 14:36
Greetings !

I'm a complete newbie in CTP2. I'm playing the game for less then two months and just came across this excellent website and the Great Man Dale
I've downloaded and installed the necessary patch, mod swapper and the latest version of Apolyton Pack. It runs perfectly.
Here is my question;
I'm interested in Diplomod and FrenzyAI. The reviews were exciting. IIRC, since Diplomod and A.Pack are both created by Dale, does A.Pack boasts the same great diplomacy features as Diplomod ? And would I have any problems if I install FrenzyAI and Diplomod over A.Pack ?

Thanks in advance,
Tolga YANASIK
Istanbul/TURKEY
Old September 4, 2001, 08:31   #110
janilxx
Warlord

Quote:
does ApolPack boasts the same great diplomacy features as Diplomod ?
If I remember right diplomod is a part of the apolyton pack. So you do only need to use apolyton pack.

I do not know about frenzy.
Old September 14, 2001, 09:42   #111
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:36
AP and AI's, et all...
Well After playing the MedMod for most of the summer, I decided to try the Apolyton Pac.

It's been an interesting time trying to get used to the way the game plays. I have encountered some things that I still dislike about the mechanics of things like upkeep, units movement, and upkeep, but as a whole, the AI is at least keeping close.

I have discovered on disconcerting problem: you can't save and restart games with 31 AI's on a Gigantic map. At least not in W2k. When I finally get my old W98 machine pieced back together after having the motherboard die, I'll have to test to see if it is the size of the saved game or the way it is save that is screwing it up.

Playing on a huge map with 7 AI's has been challenging, but the inevitable has happened, where I pull ahead on Advances and then can't afford to mount a half decent defense force. Currently, I am had to convert from Pikemen and Archers to Musketeers and Cannons. I have had to keep 3 standing armies in the field to prevent one of the AI's from getting uppity on one border, so I have only a musketeer and a cannon in each city, with a few spies and some old Ironsides on picket duty.

As I go over the files for the units, I keep seeing where the upkeep costs are still a little out of line with the production a civilization can create. My largest city is only 21, and that took until the AD 1800's to get there, while the AI has had cities of size 28 for about 800 years...

I'm hoping that when I go to combine some of the mods into one, that I can make it so that if it is cheap to maintain a sizable army, navy and air force, that the AI will take a chance and go after the player's cities that lack a decent garrison

- Chinese Proverb
Old September 15, 2001, 12:31   #112
vilius
BtS Tri-League
Settler

Local Time: 05:36
bug/weakness in diplomacy?
hi,
noticed one bug, not sure if it was around before.
(U-big,15AIs,Hard) I have a couple AIs in good relationship; whenever I decide to get some cash, just go and ask for it from any of them, threaten to declare war and get it, repeat until they've got 0 (believe it's 0, since they give me less than I ask).
since I keep on giving some advances (to make use of their research power by trading), they look pretty ok with everything..
btw, I was thinking for a way to add city trading/selling, advance sale would be nice, no?
v
Old September 21, 2001, 04:01   #113
Foro
Settler

I dont know if it a bug or something that is wanted.
My max size of cities is 61. Growth 0 after it.
I have every building built that has something to do with overcrowding or max population.
(in fact every building is built that is not about defense)
If its normal then i dont know how to get populations above 1.000.000 or even 5.000.000 as indicated in the highscore.
Goverment is virtual democracy.
Current year is 2101.
Difficulty is hard.
Allready fixed a bug with the hospital.
The building wasnt working at all at first but i found the file and fixed it.
But i havent found any other mistakes with other buildings yet.

Tell me if its intended or a bug and if its a bug maybe you know where the bug is
Thx in advance

Foro
Old September 21, 2001, 17:14   #114
Cube
Warlord

Local Time: 04:36
Hi,

I downloaded AP about a few weeks ago and started to play after reading the post. I usually play on very hard, max barbarians, and gigantic map, on medmod, but I got mad that the AI was always going broke and wasn't happy enough, so they lowered production and as result had little pollution, it's 2070 or so and there have never been any dead tiles, I mean come on that is so wrong. I still play medmod, out of loyalty for Wes and the Game is still Ok, just not great, and I like the new stuff. I started a game on hard, marauders, 8 players, and large map, and all I could think was WOW after a couple of turns, about 2000 or so BC.

all my AI players have at least one or 2 size 10+ cities and a lot of farms. One question, wasn't the Aqueduct needed before size 7 in the original? What's the point of having it available so early If it's not needed so early? I got Phalanx at about 2500 or so, isn't that unrealistic. I recently started to slave the Orange guy( the only one I have contact with) and as soon as I slaved it declared War. Is slaving considered an act of war(Yes I have never done it before!), and was it an act of war in the original?

does the AI pollute a lot in the game and if so do dead tiles appear at a reasonable time, 1950 or before? In the original I remember, the Agressive AI polluted like crazy and had their city's influence almost complete full of dead tiles. I want that Agian, maybe a little less. I also remember they had 200+ units, but never attacked me, even at war, and they could have whooped me bad even though I was more advanced.

I've got an AI question, does the AI start out knowing who it's going to pick on, or who is going to pick on them, or do they just choose at random during the game. EX: orange guy always fights the purple guy.

Edit: 9/22/01

well I't's 700 bc now, and I have 5 cities and my largest Is size 11. A clarification about my post, I didn't mean I was in 2000 bc, I meant this is when I said wow. even though It's 700 BC I'm still last in the power chart, but I'm catching up. WOW! As you may recall I started slaving the orange guy(Italy I think). I now have 2 slavers, and they have already taken 5 citizens. One thing I noticed though, he is populist zealot, and he hasn't built any walls. Well I'm starting to love the slaving sound now. Woosh, Woosh, Woosh! (that's the sound right) Didn't the slaver used to say " HA HA! YOU'RE MINE!" or am I remembering CTP1?

the barbarians are really good also, they attack me right when they see me. I'ts 700BC and the largest city I've seen is size 16 are there going to be size 20+ cities soon.

I noticed something in diffdb in the advance cost line it says:

# % amount to multiply advance cost by per age for ai
AI_MIN_BEHIND_TECHNOLOGY_COST 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
AI_MAX_BEHIND_TECHNOLOGY_COST 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8

shouldn't it be:

# % amount to multiply advance cost by per age for ai
AI_MIN_BEHIND_TECHNOLOGY_COST 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
AI_MAX_BEHIND_TECHNOLOGY_COST 0.8 0.7 0.6 0.5 0.4

this seems to make more sense to me, since the advance cost are so high in the later ages, this might help the AI keep up in science.

Last edited by Cube; September 22, 2001 at 13:35.
Old October 14, 2001, 16:03   #115
Matthew Hayden
Chieftain

Hey, how the hell do you all manage to get into 'MyDocsOnline'.
I type in the ID and password and get rejected.
Have the codes been changed, I,ve tried with and without capitals.

Old October 14, 2001, 17:36   #116
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

MyDocs is no longer a public area since Dave had to start paying for it, but you can get the Apolyton Pack at Hex's website here or maybe here I'm not entirely sure. To be safe, follow the link in his signature
Old October 15, 2001, 18:21   #117
kaan
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

fix for Aristotles "twin"
hi there

since i made the fix concerned i will now try to correct the problem

the file that needs change: APOL_wonder.txt

the first entry of that file should read as follows:
Code:
WONDER_ZERO_IGNORED {
   DefaultIcon ICON_WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM
   Description DESCRIPTION_WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM
   Movie MOVIE_WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM
   EnableAdvance ADVANCE_PHILOSOPHY

ObsoleteAdvance ADVANCE_AGRICULTURE

ProductionCost 1
}
##########################################
##################
(note: these # should be on one line like in the rest of the file)
i havent tested it but it should clear up the mess and still fix the problem with getting notice when AI begins/ends constructing the lyceum

hope you can use it

Klaus

Last edited by kaan; October 15, 2001 at 18:28.
Old October 22, 2001, 16:55   #118
habitualuser
Settler

Hi, I'm getting an error message in a Multi-player game, that i'm not getting in a single player game..... We're both running v1.11 patch, and Apolyton Pack 1.02 (the same exact files cuz he got them from me )

Well anyway the error msg is : DIP_InitDiploState, function _IsHumanPlayer : Wrong number or arguments

I took a look at the diplomod.slc and compared it to an old standalone version and it was the same (1 arg, player[#])

We change DebugSLIC=No in userprofile.txt as per the readme, and don't get the errors anymore, but i'm afraid it's not executing those lines it thinks are errors....

Any help would be appreciated, as Civ 3 won't have multi, so we'll be playing this for awhile

thanks.
Old October 24, 2001, 16:27   #119
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by habitualuser
We change DebugSLIC=No in userprofile.txt as per the readme, and don't get the errors anymore, but i'm afraid it's not executing those lines it thinks are errors....
It does use the lines, or it would come up with errors over missing brackets and stuff like that. The DeBug line just makes the game less sensitive to non-lethal errors, so if it seems to be working fine, then it is working fine.
Old November 21, 2001, 15:04   #120
tucana
Settler

Could not open APOL_const.txt
Indeed, the above file doesn't seem to exist.

Anyway, to explain what I'm on about, I'm trying to use the Apolyton pack. I've followed the instructions as to how to install it:

0. I uninstalled CTP2
1. I reinstalled it
2. I installed the CTP2 1.11 patch
3. I ran the game briefly, creating user-wotsit.txt
4. I edited said file so debugslic=No
5. I installed modswapper
6. I installed pack 1.01 (one file only, unpacked and placed in the top-level folder of the game installation)
7. I installed pack 1.02 (replacing the relevant files in the folder of the same name - i.e., merging with the existing folder)
8. I ran the game, and as the loading bar appears, I get:

"APOLUL_const.txt not found in asset tree"
I press OK, then:
"Could not open APOL_const.txt"
I press OK, then the game crashes and windows tells me it is closing it.

Any ideas? I'm using Windows Me.