Old July 17, 2001, 02:38   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 21:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 4 (If Civ 3 works out)
Civ 3 looks like it could be a great game, it is easy to be built on for example if Civ 3 will be a great game, this should be the stuff that is worked on in Civ 4:

- Creating a single culture for each civilization
- Creating more civ-specific units, wonders & improvments
- Creating the same quality advisers in movie clips (with several advisers for each civilization)
- Developing the resource & trade system
- Possibly including full screen wonder movies
Old July 17, 2001, 02:55   #2
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:37
Quote:
- Creating a single culture for each civilization
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
- Creating more civ-specific units, wonders & improvments
First we need to find out how good the civ-specific untis will be in Civ3. Adding too many wonders and improvements could unbalance the game.

Quote:
- Creating the same quality advisers in movie clips (with several advisers for each civilization)
Again what do you mean by this?

Quote:
- Developing the resource & trade system
Agreed. A system to where the Civ2 model and the Civ3 model could be intertwined. I like how the Civ3 model is going to be but I still feel that the Civ2 model had some benefits, which should be included in Civ3.

Quote:
- Possibly including full screen wonder movies
Doesn't really make a difference. I hate looking at the wonder movies after seeing them a couple of times anyways.

I'm not sure how good the Civ3 diplomacy model will be but however good it is I would like the Civ4 model to be even better.

An enhanced combat model. Ways to make wars more interesting and strategic. A great diplomacy could really help out this model.

A marvelous MP.

Of course a great AI. Something that will let you have a more challenging game against other civs while enabling you to do less of the tedious work (i.e. tile management (I still do not like the public works system)).
Old July 17, 2001, 03:03   #3
Alex 14
Prince

Quote:
What do you mean by this?
I mean that every civilization should have its own city style and stuf like that.

Quote:
First we need to find out how good the civ-specific untis will be in Civ3. Adding too many wonders and improvements could unbalance the game.
Yeah i concur.

Quote:
Again what do you mean by this?
Wouldnt it be good if every civilzation had its very own advisors?

Quote:
Doesn't really make a difference. I hate looking at the wonder movies after seeing them a couple of times anyways.
Yeah, but still, i like movies clips, they give the game a good atmospheare.

I reckon movie clips in the diplomacy would be awsome! All computer rendered though...
Old July 17, 2001, 03:25   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:37
Yeah, all your features would add a nice aspect to the game. It would give the game a little more flavor.

Another thing I would like to have is a lot of statistics on all the civs (i.e. demographics) that are very extensive.
Old July 17, 2001, 04:06   #5
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 12:37
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Another thing I would like to have is a lot of statistics on all the civs (i.e. demographics) that are very extensive.
Yeah, like in SimCity 2000! They had statistics for everything, even pigeon droppings on your statue
Old July 17, 2001, 05:08   #6
Alex 14
Prince

Yeah, but Civ 3 will proberly have good demographics, like top five cities and stuff. However i would like to see better ones than in Civ 2, maybee things like top 5 military units.
Old July 17, 2001, 05:23   #7
Adm.Naismith
King

Personally I hope Firaxis will skip any Civ x after Civ III.

I hope they'll support Civ III and expand it for at least a year, with downloadable added units, mods, maps, leaders (civilization), not to mentioning enough patch to crush any relevant bug.

I know people are happy with the fans and enthusiast level add-on, but I still mentioned that a great game need a great professional support. It's enough tha Firaxis put a couple of designer to bring best fans add-on and enhance them to a professional level. I.e. I understand many people can build a great custom civilization, but probably lack graphics expertize and tools to model 3D leader and unique units animation. Any help by Firaxis can keep the game (and its selling) fresh and alive for a year with a very limited effort and cost (better than any advertising).

That said, we can't squeeze forever the same orange
It's time to pass to innovative concepts and a new mix of ideas to resurrect TBS genre (may be by Simultaneous Turn Execution: should we call it an SBS, then? ).
That's debated for long here at Apolyton, so I assume that a relevant number of fans feel disturbed if anyone will change the game main body keeping the same name.

So let the glorious Civilization end with third version. We still know that a civ game will smell the same perfume, whatever the name you call it.

Added pray: Shakespeare, forgive me.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 17, 2001, 06:17   #8
Trdi
Chieftain

Yep, Naismith, you are right. Civ is that kind of game we can play for years. There's no need to hurry. About new concepts - no changes with turns, no changes, no changes and again no changes.
Old July 17, 2001, 06:22   #9
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

more meaningful Demogs would be good, perhaps active links in the demog window to take you to Civlopedia to explain how best to improve certain Demogs and how the game calculates it.. Like how is Disease calculated ???
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 17, 2001, 06:25   #10
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 11:37
Yes, we need good support for civ 3, there will be 6-7 years between civ II and civ |III, and there was 5-6 years between civ I and civ II so we couold expect civ IIII by year 2010 .

There fore it seems better to focus on march 2002
Old July 17, 2001, 06:30   #11
Trdi
Chieftain

Yeah, sure, I have nothing against a later date.
Old July 17, 2001, 06:33   #12
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
Personally I hope Firaxis will skip any Civ x after Civ III.
[.....]
So let the glorious Civilization end with third version. We still know that a civ game will smell the same perfume, whatever the name you call it.

Added pray: Shakespeare, forgive me.
What?

I think the concept of civ will never stop being atractive! Being able to stand in the shoes of historical leaders feels so good that no other game can compete with that!

I have tried games like C&C but I get bored after a while.

With Civ I never get bored! So as far as I'm concerned civ IV etcetera is always welcome!
Old July 17, 2001, 06:41   #13
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

To be fair, the game does need an update from time to time to account for new technology and improvements. The intervals seem very good so far; initially it was a DOS game, but civ2 took advantage of the streamlined windows interface and ease of use to make the game a lot easier. Now civ3 can take advantage of powerful modern computers which are capable of producing impressive graphics and significant numbercrunching. Even if not a radical overhaul of the game (which is a bad thing, it should be added to without detracting from it) it need updating every once in a while and showing it is still up there with the times.

And now Firaxis do have a bit of time to 'play around' with civ4 and experiment until they feel compelled to really start production proper. Perhaps test out hex tiles and various other ambitious challenges...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 17, 2001, 06:53   #14
Trdi
Chieftain

I'm for Civ 4, Civ 5,... but- no hurry. Imagine CIV 2002, CIV 2003, CIV 2004,...
Old July 17, 2001, 07:12   #15
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

as time passes and computers get better, the game needs to evolve, there are things that our modern PIV computers can do now that civ 1 devopers couldnt dream off,... perhaps civ 10 will bring in Virtual Reality, you get to attend the Diplomatic sessions with your sexy Foriegn Advisor !!!!!
Old July 17, 2001, 07:14   #16
Krisis
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
And now Firaxis do have a bit of time to 'play around' with civ4 and experiment until they feel compelled to really start production proper.
They don't have time. They must finish civ3 first !
Old July 17, 2001, 07:42   #17
Provost Harrison
Deity

After they finish Civ3 of course Then they have plenty of time...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 17, 2001, 07:58   #18
OneFootInTheGrave
King

I hope that the last patch for Civ 3 will come around 2005. The ;last patch for Civ 2 was 1998, or 1999, I am not sure... well it was around 3 years from the original release...

So only after that they can focus on Civ 4

Old July 17, 2001, 08:12   #19
Trdi
Chieftain

Oh, come on. Such teams can do both things at the same time. Take a look at Championship Manager. Sports interactive are doing the CM 2001/2002 and CM 4 at the same time.
Old July 17, 2001, 09:15   #20
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 13:37
I disagree.

the gap between civ2 and civ3 was too long.
All kind of half releases were putted between it (FW, CS, MGE, ToT, SMaC, CtP, CtP2)

it's good to have one or two packs, but there shouldn't be more then 3 or 4 years between civ3 and civ4.

They should keep on naming it civx, and not like other games do, give it a new name after any release.
Old July 17, 2001, 09:15   #21
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

they shouldnt work on civ 4 till the next breakthru in computer technology,,,
Old July 17, 2001, 09:32   #22
Trdi
Chieftain

What's a breakthru for you? Changes happen every day. I know a person who didn't want to buy a PC, because "next month will be sth new, I'll buy it then." and so on, and he didn't buy it for 18 months.
Old July 17, 2001, 09:42   #23
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 06:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
Yeah, but Civ 3 will proberly have good demographics, like top five cities and stuff. However i would like to see better ones than in Civ 2, maybee things like top 5 military units.
If there is more info, it needs to be able to be disabled for MP. Too much free information about your oponents is available in CIV II and I hope they fix that for CIV III.

EON claims he can locate you based on the limitied Demographics available now.
While a little far fetched there are currently way too many ways to locate your enemies.

RAH
Old July 17, 2001, 09:49   #24
Trdi
Chieftain

What do you mean with "locate"
Old July 17, 2001, 10:41   #25
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trdi
What do you mean with "locate"
I guess he means "find your enemy"
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 17, 2001, 10:43   #26
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trdi
What's a breakthru for you? Changes happen every day. I know a person who didn't want to buy a PC, because "next month will be sth new, I'll buy it then." and so on, and he didn't buy it for 18 months.
Wise guy. He doesn't really need a PC, it seems, so he can wait forever
Or until Civ III release, at least
Old July 17, 2001, 10:48   #27
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
I mean that every civilization should have its own city style and stuf like that.
[...]
Wouldnt it be good if every civilzation had its very own advisors?
Well, last sreenshot of domestic advisor seems a Chinese lady to me. May be they are changing their early approach to use Firaxis people as advisor, chosing to customize advisor for every Civ...
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 17, 2001, 11:16   #28
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well after civ3 we have time, both Firaxis and Apolyton combined, to formulate new ideas and expand on what was good with Civ3. We are all accruing experience of this genre all the time. We know what was good about civ2 compared to civ and learned from this. Now we will have civ3 and be able to compare with civ2 and see what was a move forward and backwards. And we can also throw SMAC into this. These blokes do have a lot of experience with this kind of game when we add Colonization and SMAC, and then other strategy games, not necessarily of this subgenre of TBS.

Trust their judgement, they certainly didn't disappoint with civ2. It was still the game I know and love but improved, without messing it up. I also think SMAC worked well, it was still the same gameplay, although it was quite a radical and brave departure in many ways. But it worked well, and again, lessons have been learned from this game, arguably the most radical departure (if we exclude CtP1/2 which fell flat on it's arse).

Sid et al. have proved their ability and capability. I think civ3 will be smashing once complete, and civ4 even better as everyone is still learning about the game. Each game is another point on the curve so be able to work towards, and nearer to, the ultimate civ genre game. This should be better.

And Raz, it would be nice to have VR with the diplomacy advisor. Do you think she would let me get her on the bargaining table

Old July 17, 2001, 11:23   #29
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
And Raz, it would be nice to have VR with the diplomacy advisor. Do you think she would let me get her on the bargaining table
"Maybe I can persuade your excellency to build embassies, so that we may traffic freely with other nations."
Old July 17, 2001, 11:28   #30
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 06:37
Yes, find.

I.e. using two horseman out on the board and checking "closest to which city" to triangulate the position.

Or random clicking on squares until the map doesn't center, (means you've found a city)

Or using the find city option once it's built a wonder.

Just too many loopholes.

Too much free information in MP. Even the top 5 city list provides information that can be exploited.

RAH
For a full list, see Ming's Cheat list.