Old July 18, 2001, 05:49   #1
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do you expect in terms of documentation
How would you like your Civ 3 documentation?
Old July 18, 2001, 05:54   #2
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 13:38
an instruction book like Civ2 had and a poster with all techs, units, tiles etc. etc.
Old July 18, 2001, 07:03   #3
Recurve
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:38
In addition to the tech tree poster they could slip-in a post-card version, something you could keep on your desk.

To expand on the idea, they could provide a tech tree towell and toilet roll (you could study whilst in the bath or on the loo).
Old July 18, 2001, 08:04   #4
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 06:38
All I expect is a tech tree/unit/building/terrain/improvement poster. Something say around 36" x 24" will be about the right size, anything bigger won't fit on the laminator I have access to.

The other docs can be on the cd, just include Adobe Acrobat Reader for those who don't have it yet. I prefer this as printing up an instuction book bigger than a one page "How to install Civilization III" isn't really necessary.
Old July 18, 2001, 13:32   #5
tniem
King

I would expect a thick manual that I will read only when I have nothing else to do during class.

Meanwhile, I will be really happy with another poster with units, terrain, and the tech tree. And of course Sid's signature on every one.
Old July 18, 2001, 13:53   #6
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 05:38
I want a thick manual too, but I also want a nifty pdf file or html document on the cd, with links
Old July 18, 2001, 14:12   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:38
I would like to have a poster similar to the Civ2MGE (I only played MGE so I don't know if one came w/ the original Civ2, can somebody clear this up for me?). Plus a manual like Civ2MGE, nothing at all like this "The other docs can be on the cd, just include Adobe Acrobat Reader for those who don't have it yet. I prefer this as printing up an instuction book bigger than a one page "How to install Civilization III" isn't really necessary." I hate when I have to strain my eyes even more looking at a monitor. I have good eye sight in all it's just that it hurts to be looking at a monitor all day already (when playing Civ3) to have to read something off a monitor. Plus I find it to be easy access to have a manual not on the comp.
Old July 18, 2001, 14:25   #8
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
Manual detailing how to play and giving a bare bones description of techs/wonders/units/governments/etc, tech poster, and civilopedia giving specifics on techs, units, governments, wonders, etc.
Old July 18, 2001, 14:34   #9
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 03:38
I hope firaxis is going to be real nice and treat us to some good documentation this time around...

A thick manual describing everything in the game! Techs, units, terrain, improvements, culture, economy and military, wonders, etc. Plus like in civ1, with the historic information (about the civ's leaders, wonders, etc).

None of that poster stuff; how many people here will actually hang up such a poster that shows each tech... maybe a folding game card thing if there so many commands, or instead a quick reference manual.

And finally, have all of the above available on the CD too... pdf or html format
Old July 18, 2001, 15:46   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
None of that poster stuff; how many people here will actually hang up such a poster that shows each tech... maybe a folding game card thing if there so many commands, or instead a quick reference manual.
I don't think people use it as an actual poster. I know I only use it for quick reference to a tech that I want. It's just something that makes our lives a little bit easier, especially playing the game for the fist couple of times.
Old July 18, 2001, 16:30   #11
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:38
I agree that the manual should also be in a pdf or html format in addition to a glossy hard copy. Although the html format would just be identical the civilopedia, great library, or whatever they call it this time round. The pdf format you can just print off.

Most important of all is the glossary and an index. Without these manuals can be very annoying. Just look how poorly the EU manual was made in that respect.
Old July 19, 2001, 01:19   #12
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I would like to have a poster similar to the Civ2MGE (I only played MGE so I don't know if one came w/ the original Civ2, can somebody clear this up for me?). Plus a manual like Civ2MGE, nothing at all like this "The other docs can be on the cd, just include Adobe Acrobat Reader for those who don't have it yet. I prefer this as printing up an instuction book bigger than a one page "How to install Civilization III" isn't really necessary." I hate when I have to strain my eyes even more looking at a monitor. I have good eye sight in all it's just that it hurts to be looking at a monitor all day already (when playing Civ3) to have to read something off a monitor. Plus I find it to be easy access to have a manual not on the comp.

The Civ 2 MGE had exactly the same poster as Civ 2. I am pretty sure they were exactly the same without a single change. At one time I had both of them hanging in my room.
Old July 19, 2001, 04:14   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:38
Not just an index but an exhaustive one. A thick manual without a good index is just a pain in the bollocks.

I want the manual to tell me everything I need to win the game, even at the highest level. Not strategies but all the details I need to know, such as defensive bonus of hills for various units, effects of morale and experience, strength compraison between combat units, how long does it take for a settlers unit to plant trees, etc.

And a large poster for civ advances and other good stuff, of course
Old July 19, 2001, 06:42   #14
Trdi
Chieftain

Sth similar to Civ 2. I want posters and a huge book.
Old July 19, 2001, 17:42   #15
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I want them to ship Civ3 with a book that describes everything within what we percieve to be our dimension of existance.
Old July 19, 2001, 17:51   #16
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 05:38
I want it to ship with Sid Meier's autobiography...
Old July 19, 2001, 17:59   #17
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

A really thick manual with detailed how-to's, sketches of say some concept art, a little personal touch with insights on the game, them making it etc..., and just bascially all kinds of info in detail on the game Civ3.
Don't forget a good index, contact, info, etc.... kind of like the Civ 2 manual.

Oh and a poster would be nice. They say it's not needed since they have the tech tree in game. But I still want a poster of some kind.

A poster with all the units and their attributes
and/or
A poster with the tech tree.
Old July 19, 2001, 22:05   #18
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I want to see a thick manual that is spiral bound. So you can turn to a page and lay it down flat.

A nice little tech-tree poster as well .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 19, 2001, 22:30   #19
Chronus
Prince

Quote:
I want to see a thick manual that is spiral bound. So you can turn to a page and lay it down flat.
COOL BEANS!

I really like this idea. It will especially come in handy should Firaxis print another tutorial in the manual.
Old July 19, 2001, 23:00   #20
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
I hope Firaxis is going to be real nice and treat us to some good documentation this time around...
I don't understand your statement. Micro Prose and now Firaxis has always been petty good with manuals and poster and the like.

Old July 20, 2001, 01:10   #21
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944
I don't understand your statement. Micro Prose and now Firaxis has always been petty good with manuals and poster and the like.
Yeah, does anyone remember the Sid Meier's Gettysburg! manual that taught you how to play the game but at the same time looked and pretended to be a handbook for a soldier during the Civil War. I thought that was a nice authentic touch to the game. So I do expect Civ III to have excellent documentation.
Old July 30, 2001, 08:40   #22
Trdi
Chieftain

It will, it will. Especially if it's going to be so expensive. Is that true, about the price? 50 - 60 % That's one third of my scholarship!!!
Old July 30, 2001, 08:54   #23
LaRusso
King

cmon, trdi, i thought slovenians were doing a tad better than that .
poster is a definitive winner. not just tech tree one but another 'cool' rock or no rock poster. plus a spiral-bound mammoth manual with all the number crunching trivia one can think of. this task alone will push release into Q3 2002 .
Old July 30, 2001, 09:31   #24
Trdi
Chieftain

It's quite some money, why? How high are scholarships in your country? (Which is ... ?) And we have much lower prices of most things. (Tobacco products are 3× cheaper than in UK, petrol is 2.5-3× cheaper ...), so don't talk bad about our economy!
About spiral book... a great idea, yes. And its gotta be huge - at least 4 kilos...
Old July 30, 2001, 09:55   #25
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trdi
It's quite some money, why? How high are scholarships in your country? (Which is ... ?) And we have much lower prices of most things. (Tobacco products are 3× cheaper than in UK, petrol is 2.5-3× cheaper ...), so don't talk bad about our economy!
About spiral book... a great idea, yes. And its gotta be huge - at least 4 kilos...
your economy kicks ass, that is why i am surprised that stipends are so low....
i am currently in budapest. everything is at least twice cheaper than in your country. dunno how much stipend their students get....but my comment was simply a surprise because i thought that slovenian govt spends lavishly on that
Old July 30, 2001, 10:30   #26
Trdi
Chieftain

Is that SO low or what? £100-£150 / month is SO low? Well it was much higher last year, but much more students receive the cash. I would say at least 30% of students between 14 and 22 yrs. I' m quite satisfied with my student life. We have food allmost for free, we receive extra money for living, I pay less than 10% of my train ticket... I'm cool and I'm looking forward to my life. But if Civ is really going to be between 50 and 60 $ ??!! I should get a job on this game, too. I will receive CM 01/02 for free, 'cos I'm the researcher. And i have to buy MOO3, Capitalism, Gangsters, HOMM4,...
Old July 30, 2001, 10:51   #27
One More Turn!
Chieftain

I would like to see a manual like that for CivII, and the tech tree poster is useful at times as well. We don't want too much detail in the manual though, as that would ruin all the fun for the hardcore crowd here at Apolyton

It would also giv Yin and the rest of us one less thing to complain about, and that can't be good.

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker
Old July 30, 2001, 11:25   #28
JellyDonut
Prince

I got Civ2 from a friend and he didn't give me the manual or poster, but I found the in-game tutorial and civilopedia were enough to learn the ins and outs of the game. I don't expect Civ3 to be much different, and I would be content even if it shipped without a manual. I have better things to spend my money on.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old July 30, 2001, 11:31   #29
Trdi
Chieftain

I allways prefer book over PC help.
Old July 30, 2001, 12:18   #30
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by death_head
I want it to ship with Sid Meier's autobiography...
Good idea. This will also force them to push back the release and give them more time to polish and test.

I also prefer a book to anything on PC. It's much easier to look stuff up in a book during a game, especially if the help isn't in-game.

Last edited by Sabre2th; July 30, 2001 at 12:29.