Old July 20, 2001, 01:14   #31
tniem
King

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ContradictioN
I don't know about any of you guys, but looking at that is just screaming 'official', to me
It certainly seems to be. I have two questions, one I already mentioned was when the magazine was printed. If it was before Infogames took the date off their site then they probably thought October before Sid and the gang told them no way.

The other is, where are the rest of the ads? Does anyone have any other September gaming magazines yet? If you do please let us know if ads for Civ III are there yet and what they look like. I would have to guess that before release date they will have a number of ads and a few of them will feature screen shots. It might not be the case but I don't think they would go for just one ad.
Old July 20, 2001, 06:22   #32
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 12:39
I don't think they would put that URL on there if they didn't expect the site to be up shortly after it was printed. All those potential customers...(we can only have hope )

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old July 20, 2001, 10:11   #33
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 13:39
Markos, don't you think this is something for the news-section ?
Old July 20, 2001, 10:40   #34
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Well maybe we can look at what PC Gamers articles were about.... the latest issues big preview was on "The Sims Online" ...I was just on the sims site, trying to find out when Maxis announced The Sims Online, but they have moved around their news and i cant find it in any archieves. But I did check the offical SimsOnline website, and it says that the web site was launched in May. But there is also something in the preview/first look at SimsOnline... thats a small segment on the newest Sims Add-on, Hot Date... I think that was annouced in early July? It was up, on the site, but now its not... The issue came in July... someone else might want to search http://www.thesims.com in their news archives. I mention this because if what I think is true, they added that Hot Date news in the few days before it went to print... so maybe the add could have been put in near the end? Oh well...
Old July 20, 2001, 10:48   #35
Grumbold
Emperor

While it is possible to swap an advert in the last days before printing it is more common for the advert to be designed well in advance and submitted complete to the publisher within plenty of time. If we start believing everything we read in advertisements we really are in trouble. Want to buy some prime real estate? I have just the deal for you
Old July 20, 2001, 22:19   #36
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

yeah, but what happened to the release date on the infograms website? i bet they made that addvertisement up a long time ago. they have to get those things to the magazine a while before they're printed and distributed. i'm betting that this is out of date info even if it did just surface.
Old July 21, 2001, 06:23   #37
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:39
I'll leave my comments about the heated rock for later, but I just wanted to point out the news item says "October 2002," which would be fine by me!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 21, 2001, 07:46   #38
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 20:39
Time
I wonder if I can finish Pharoah before October? Well, maybe by the time I finish Pharoah there'll be lots of comments on the forum about CivIII and I can decide whether I should buy it or not. Actually, packages from the States take ages to reach Korea these days so even if I pre-order I'll probably have lots of time to finish Pharoah.
Old July 21, 2001, 08:18   #39
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I'll leave my comments about the heated rock for later, but I just wanted to point out the news item says "October 2002," which would be fine by me!
No it doesn't.

What?
Old July 21, 2001, 09:10   #40
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I still don't see why it shouldn't be possible to have it released in October if they are making good progress on it.

Another thing, you wouldn't think that they would release the www.civ3.com link until the thing is working, it would seem unprofessional to link to a nonfunctional url. They should have linked to www.firaxis.com/civ3 and when the proper site comes online, get that to link to that.

When will www.civ3.com be available? Will we be able to post there on a bulletin board?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 21, 2001, 09:26   #41
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Provost: "Unprofessional" and "Firaxis Web Presence" just don't got together, ya know?

Snapcase: LOL! That was fast.

Old July 21, 2001, 14:34   #42
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:39
Well, it is almost august and they still haven't hit beta (suposedly) and if this is acurate, then there will be less than 2 1/2 months of beta testing. Well, i dont know about anyone else but the minimium beta testing period for a project that i have ever worked on was 3 1/2 months. and if i recall correctly ctp (:banned: ) was in beta for only 3 months. This does not look good. I was really hoping they would revamp some of their graphics. I just hope my jet fighters dont always loose when attacking from the ocean to land (alla, activision's ctp after 2 patches :banned: )

on the bright side...they wont be releasing it during finals
Old July 21, 2001, 14:39   #43
Nemo
Prince

also, i just remembered that blizzard had printed release dates in pc gaming magazines for one of their projects only to release the game nearly a year later (i want to say it was diablo, but i could be wrong)
Old July 21, 2001, 16:58   #44
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yea. it does look real and whatnot, but they can always pull somethign out of their ass and say they need more time.

there was an ad for Starcraft in a PC Gamer almost a year before it came out, before Blizzard used a newer engine.
Old July 21, 2001, 19:55   #45
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
there was an ad for Starcraft in a PC Gamer almost a year before it came out, before Blizzard used a newer engine.
Now there is a company that does not care when they release a game, they know it will sell so they make sure it is as near to perfect as they can. Doing sell only makes their company do better because everyone knows that their products are quality.

Firaxis should learn the Blizzard lesson and make sure Civ III is as good as it is going to get before releasing the game. The gaming world will be happy to wait.
Old July 22, 2001, 03:07   #46
Jeje2
Prince

What could have happened here
OK,
for once I'll try toi be an optimist about Civ3 (Sorry Yin )

What could have happened? - I'l present one possibility
Infogrames desided to release the game in October and started marketing, made a webpage etc.

Well, due to some delay for papers we saw first the webpage and the fuss was there.
Then when a member of FIRAXIS team saw it - they informed Infogrames to remove the october date. Well on the webpage this was easily done, but the paper ads had already gone to the print. So the date is just an accident that shouldn't have happened and we can blame bad communication for it to ever happen.

Well that's my theory - are there any big loopholes I missed?

You see - it wasn't that hard to be an optimist
Old July 22, 2001, 03:13   #47
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I'm almost certain this October 2001 release date stuff is a big mistake, as Jeje so optimistically argues. One day I hope to look back and say, "My God, Jeje. You saw the future!"

Old July 23, 2001, 08:39   #48
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Jeff Briggs in one interview said they were aiming at a fall-release
Old July 23, 2001, 09:59   #49
death_head
Prince

"aiming"

"fall"
Old July 23, 2001, 10:42   #50
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
Jeff Briggs in one interview said they were aiming at a fall-release
So 20th December is still a valid release date...
Old July 23, 2001, 10:55   #51
LaRusso
King

(trying hard not to sound like yin)

the very fact that there has been no update since may nor any kind of official announcement from firaxis about new website (even on the old website) is really the best indicator of where they are heading.
forget alphas betas gamas and deltas and remember how you behaved in school if you failed to do your homework. so there....