Old July 19, 2001, 16:40   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help...Patch problem
I can't install the 1.11 patch, I guess this is because I have an ripped version of the game...Why I have a ripped version of the game is because I just don't want to pay a lot of money for an unfinnished game. Since I can't install the patch I can't see if the mods are any good, and I don't want to pay for the game when the mods doesn't make any chances...or doesn't run at all, so does anyone outthere know what I could do?
Old July 19, 2001, 22:41   #2
Oddible
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:40
Dude, its $40. Cough it up.
Whatever about an 'unfinished game'.
With the Apolyton Mod and all the other great mods being developed for this game you'd be hard pressed to find a strategy game with the scope of the Civilization series.

As a software developer its hard to condone piracy. Don't get me wrong, paying $600 for Photoshop when I don't do ANY commercial design work is silly - so all's fair right?

But a $40 game? GAME.

(as a musician I'm really torn about all the MP3's on my hard drive too, but that's a different thread)

No offense and I don't mean this as a flame. But when you think about all the free mods for this game and all the hard work being put in by moders the $40 just doesn't seem like that much change - wish I could see some of it go to the folks who post their mods here!
Old July 19, 2001, 22:44   #3
Oddible
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:40
It would be interesting as an anonymous poll to find out how many folks here paid for their games.
Old July 19, 2001, 23:18   #4
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:10
What do you mean by ripped? It doesn't install like regular or does it need the disk. I would just make a disc or if you in the US just go to a Best Buy and buy it. You can get it on sale or even $40 isn't that much, hell I even sent some money to Wes & the Gang for all there hard work and I don't even respect copyrights that much. I think CTP 2 is worth it now with all the mods.

P.S.- This forum is hard on game rippers, I'm surpised you did not get flamed more.
Old July 20, 2001, 06:07   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:40
Quote:
P.S.- This forum is hard on game rippers, I'm surpised you did not get flamed more.
This forum is hard on Civ rippers Some games are just asking for ripping, and CTP2 would have been one of them except for the modding.

ADG: That is kind of a Catch 22 situation, but if the patch won't install, I would say either accept that you can't play the mods, or take it on the faith of the entire forum and trust that Cradle, MedMod2 and the Apolyton Pack 2 do make the game better, and fork out the cash. You can probably buy it quite cheaply now from eBay, or from a second-hand computer games shop. The bad reviews that the game got would have forced the price down quite rapidly, and you should be able to get it for less than $40 now.
Old July 20, 2001, 09:12   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Here I haven't seen the game for under 30 USD (I think), and that's a lot money for a student (from Denmark), that's why I don't want to pay money for all games I play, I can only afford paying for the best games. Civ3 is on the top of the list for the few games I'll buy!

Does there exists a page saying everything what the mods change in the game, maybe that could convince me to buy the game. I would buy the game if I just could test the mods before and they turned out good, but I have several times been listening to the woords around saying: "buy the game and install the mods, they really change the game" to different games, but everytime it turned out to be like the mod only screwed up the game and only made minor changes, that's why I don't want to pay a lot of money before I know if the mods actually make the game better

And about the unfinnished games: Check the official page for the creators of the game, the only thing official I found to the game was that patch with minor changes, I didn't find any links to places where mods could be downloaded...This is in my eyes like they have given up on the game...Reminds me on "Traffic Giant"s website, it still says "will be released soon", doesn't excatly make me feel happy about buying the game

Last edited by Adagio; July 20, 2001 at 09:22.
Old July 20, 2001, 09:43   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:40
The first post in each of the MedMod2 and Cradle threads are summaries of what each mod does. Other than that, download the texts file of either mod, and read the readme files. The file isn't too big, and if you dont like it, then delete them again.
Really, is there any way people could spend the amount of time they did on these mods and not make dramatic improvements to the game?
Both mods contain the following, to a greater or lesser extent:
The AI is aggressive, but reasonable, the tech tree is extended, units are added, milita units are granted, bugs are fixed, game is balanced to make it harder for the human, or easier for the AI.

I would say if you are willing to buy Civ3 with no more information than that being discussed of the Civ3 forums, some tentative screenshots and press-releases, then a modded CTP2 is certainly worth $30 (thats about £17 yeah?).
Old July 20, 2001, 10:56   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I'll think about it...I can't afford it now, since I'm out of money

But I'll check out those txt files