Old July 26, 2001, 11:41   #31
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fitstim, the rules above seem very specific. Do the little cities always split from the large, or is distance a factor? Will a civ split if the player has checked the "No Restart" box? (Never use that option, so no knowledge of its possible effect.)

Rule 2 is based on a false premise. Whether or not the civ will split is independent from whether or not the capital will move. The cities remaining with the haver's civ can be moved to after the split as demonstrated in La Fayette's example of Berlin and Dresden. In the same example, the haver split, moved the capitol, then split again.

Generally, the AI capitol will move, if the haver has 1000 gold left after the taker raids the treasury because of the city's fall. This 1000 gold is the emergency cost of building a palace. (250 shields * 2 [shield cost in gold] * 2 [penalty cost if no shields in the box]) Cost is the same for you if you are offered an emergency move. This palace build has no effect on the construction box of the new capital, the palace just magically appears.
Old July 30, 2001, 05:55   #32
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 12:41
No, distance is the most important factor. The outermost cities will be in the new civ and the ones closest to the capital will remain. The AI will apparently try to make these two civs as even as possible with respect to city sizes (or populations).

I didn't really understand your comment about the capital moving having nothing to do with a civ split. In my experience, it is one or the other. A capital moves or a civ splits (or thirdly, there is no new capital). If the capital moves (i.e. gov't escapes to...), the civ DOES NOT split. If the civ splits, the gov't does not escape. Maybe I just didn't understand what you were trying to say though.
Old July 30, 2001, 06:45   #33
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

It seems to me like those 2 events aren't linked.
in my tests with the small civs I always got the message
"terror sweeps through the country and when the dust settles the country has split"(or something like that) and then a second popup that tells me:"government escaped to blablabla"(if there is enough gold.)
To my experience also the country splits depending on the distance to the capital,what the variables are there I don't know.

Shade
Old July 30, 2001, 17:28   #34
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

to escape or not to escape
Quote:
Originally posted by fittstim
. If the civ splits, the gov't does not escape. Maybe I just didn't understand what you were trying to say though.
Maybe I don't understand what YOU are trying to say.
Reread my post 'taking Berlin': the German capital was moved to Dresden (then Dresden conquered by me on the same turn ).
The German civ did split and the German capital did move.
Old August 2, 2001, 05:19   #35
fittstim
Warlord

Oops! Yes, sorry that I didn't make myself clearer before.

You are right that a capital will move when a civ splits if it has 1000 gold otherwise the civ will be without a capital city. What I meant is that there are basically three alternatives:

1) No civ split and no new capital city (i.e. nothing happens when you conquer the city),

2) No civ split but capital moves to a new city (civ has at least 1000 gold and another size 8 or bigger city),

3) Civ split.

And there was the problem. In part 3) there are two options (so I guess there really are four possibilities). With or without the capital moving.

Also: still trying to figure out some sort of rule with respect to the civ splitting...
Old August 2, 2001, 07:26   #36
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

If anyone is interested in some serious testing, I think this game could be of use.Situation
6 civs alive
1)the Shadows(addapted americans=> human player(also the one who gets attacked all the time)[level4]
2)Mongols( the biggest enemy of the Shadows,has more cities)[level3]
3)Egyptians(7 or so cities)[level2]
(now the 3 minor civs)
4) Japanees(2cities)[level1]
5)Cartagians(1 city)[level1]
6)Romans(1city)[level1]

the levels show wich civ can split an other=>a civ always seems to split a civ with a higher level.

I think that is would even be possible to test for multiple splits in the same turn if you killed one of the minor civs.

Good Luck

Shade
Attached Files:
File Type: sav turboi.sav (160.9 KB, 2 views)