Old July 21, 2001, 01:23   #1
rwprice
Warlord

Local Time: 06:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How can I get the SMAC tech tree chart?
Does anyone know where I can get the tech chart in pdf format perhaps? I purchased the "classic" edition of SMAC and it did not include the tech chart, just the manual on the CD. I've found some charts made by users, but has anyone scanned the actual chart?
Old July 21, 2001, 10:42   #2
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Hi rwprice:

Maybe even better:

You can download the "tiny tech tree" from Googlie's site, and others. IIRC, its in word format. I hope that works for you.

The real smac(x) charts are wall posters, and would not be legible, scanned, and printed on an 8 1/2 x 11 page

Here's Googlie's site:

http://clik.to/spartanchronicles

Just click the "miscellaneous downloads." Good luck.

bc
Old July 21, 2001, 17:49   #3
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 07:42
rwprice, I just downloaded it and tried it out.

It is surely confusing!!! Too big and too wide. I don't think I will be able to use it. How about you? Was it helpful to you?

I'm enjoying Civ2. Beginning to learn, I think. And I still want to play SMAC.

I see you are still playing both. Which do you like best?

sboog
Old July 22, 2001, 00:27   #4
rwprice
Warlord

sboog, I decided to take a look at SMAC after I got tired of Civ2. I was intrigued by what I've heard about SMAC's improvements over Civ2. It looks promising, but it'll take me a while to get used to the sci-fi stuff. Truthfully, I think I better stick with Civ2 for a while longer.

Yes, I'm still going to stick it out with these games. Like you, something about them keeps calling me back. I guess that's a good sign. Now, if I could just feel like I knew what I was doing...
Old July 23, 2001, 22:58   #5
Nethog
Warlord

rwprice:

If you have access to Powerpoint 2000 feel free to download mini versions of SMAC, SMACX, and Civ 2 tech trees that I have created. There are also other summary charts of various game aspects. To use the tech trees, I like to print them and use a highlighter to mark the techs that I have researched as well as the connecting lines to the next techs so I can at a glance measure my progress.

You can get them at:

http://depwh02.mw.mediaone.net/pmm1/

Hope this helps.
Get them at:http://pmm1.home.comcast.net/games/games.html
Old July 24, 2001, 00:47   #6
rwprice
Warlord

Nethog, thanks for the files. I'll check them out. I don't have Office 2000, but I'll look for a viewer that will allow me to see your work. Thanks.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:21   #7
sboog
Warlord

Nethong,

I don't have Power Point either. I went to your page and began downloading your SMAC file anyway. Half way through it there was a message:"Access denied."

Oops. Anyone know how to view this without PowerPoint?

I really would like the tech tree in some sort of manageable form.

sboog
Old July 24, 2001, 16:18   #8
Nethog
Warlord

sboog:

I have tested downloading my smac file from my work computer (via dialup) and downloaded the file with out any problems. As for not having Powerpoint, perhaps you can try using the Microsoft "freebie" Powerpoint viewer (http://office.microsoft.com/download.../Ppview97.aspx) available as a 3 Mb download. I would be interested in knowing if it worked ok for you.
Old July 24, 2001, 18:46   #9
sboog
Warlord

nethog, I downloaded the power point viewer. Thanks.

But when I click on your site for SMAC, it shows the tech tree immediately but it is tiny!

I don't know where the download of your site is stored in my computer. But it looks like Power point immediately opens things when I click on either SMAC or Civ2 from the web page you gave us.

What do I do now? It is impossible to see.

sboog
Old July 24, 2001, 19:17   #10
Purple
Prince

Here's another tech tree. This one's for SMAX.

http://www.rmconner.com/smax/smaxtech_color.htm
Old July 24, 2001, 20:08   #11
Nethog
Warlord

sboog:

In Powerpoint 2000 the tech tree fills an 8.5"X11" page.

Try saving the download as a file on your hard disk and then opening it with the viewer (as opposed to displaying it in your browser). To force a save with a browser: In Netscape click on the SMAC powerpoint file link while holding the shift key. In Internet Explorer, right-mouse click on the powerpoint file link and select "Save As". Hope this helps.
Old July 25, 2001, 07:31   #12
sboog
Warlord

Nethog,

I tried it just like you suggested: right clicked on the link and saved it to my hard disk. Then I tried to open it by clicking on the little PP icon in the list of things to open it with.

The screen turned dark, and I thought I was going to see the tech tree. Instead the words popped up "Can not view the presentation with PP97" or something to that effect.

Any thoughts? Anyone else try this and have it work?

sboog
Old July 25, 2001, 07:56   #13
sboog
Warlord

OK, Nethog, I just got it to work! And printed out 5 pages in black and white.

Very clear print. Neat.

Print is a little small, but clear. I am amazed that you got all that on one page. (the "Combat modifiers" print is of course bigger.)

Now I will go study it. THANKS!!

Power Point must be a good program. It is amazingly clear text for being so small.

Thank you for sharing this and for helping me work it out on my computer.

sboog
Old July 25, 2001, 10:40   #14
Nethog
Warlord

sboog:

Glad to hear that it worked for you. As for the amount of data on the chart: I wanted a comprehensive 1-page summary of the tree and all of the stuff that comes with each tech, so I opted for a small font. It works for me! One thing I have noticed is that the printer you use can make a big difference on the quality of hardcopy. When I print at work using a Lexmark 600DPI postscript 2 laser printer I get EXCELLENT print quality. When I print at home using my HP 5L 300 DPI PCL printer it doesn't look so great (but I can still read all of the text).
Old July 25, 2001, 11:29   #15
sboog
Warlord

Nethog,

I have spent the last hour studying your tech tree charts that I printed out. I also printed out the 3 for Civ2.

So I have been looking at the main one for Civ2, and all of a sudden I finally see the scope, the pathways, and the depth of this game! (since I know less about SMAC, I started with the ones for Civ2.)

I hope rwprice can print these out. He and I have been struggling along with Civ2 and SMAC, trying to understand the concept of the two games.

Looking at your chart that has the whole game on one page, is like standing on a distant planet and seeing all of the Earth before me.

And now the lights are coming on!

This must have taken hours for you to type and chart and work out. You are very dedicated.

Have you told the folks at the Civ2 forum about this? I'll bet there would be some happy souls if they were able to download your files.

I printed mine out on my HPLaserJet 5L and it looks good. Small, but like you say, it is all there right on ONE page.

Again, I thank you for sharing this with me.

sboog
Old July 25, 2001, 19:58   #16
Nethog
Warlord

sboog:

Thanks for the many compliments sboog. Yes the charts took a long time to create and refine, but when I play a "deep" game like SMAC or CIV2 I really have a need to understand all of the game mechanics in-depth so I can concentrate on strategy. No I have not mentioned the charts to the Civ2 folks though I guess I should; I really only developed them for my own use but I am always happy to hear if someone else finds them useful.
Old July 26, 2001, 00:43   #17
rwprice
Warlord

Wow!
Nethog, I second sboog's comments. These charts are simply amazing! I've downloaded every tech chart I've come across, and I think yours are the best. The cool thing is that they can be used to plan a strategy and chart progress while playing the game. Seeing everything all on one page is what makes that possible. I also agree with sboog that you should publicize these all over the place.

Thanks for your dedication and hard work and for being willing to share with us. I really appreciate it!
Old July 26, 2001, 14:24   #18
sboog
Warlord

Nethog,

Two more things.

I hope when Civ3 comes out you will make its tech tree and share it with us. Having it all on one page is wonderful.

And the other thing, I could not open the two Civ2 files that you did in Excell. I tried to open them with PowerPoint. And of course it didn't work. I have Microsoft Works 2000 and Word 2000. Is there a way I can open the Excell files?

Anyway, even if I can't, I am truly happy with what I have already been able to print out from your home page.

sboog
Old July 26, 2001, 15:18   #19
Nethog
Warlord

Thanks again for the compliments sboog and rwprice. sboog, I have updated my home page (http://depwh02.mw.mediaone.net/pmm1/) with links to both Powerpoint and Excel viewers so you should also be able to view the excel files as well now. I have also added another couple of excel files to the SMAC area. One is a "terrain analysis" chart which was originally created by Chris Traber. I revised it since I believe I found a few errors. The other is a chart that helps with calculating how many energy credits are required to rush build a UNIT (if you just use the amount offered by the game you can end up paying a lot more then you need to - I read a discussion forum thread about this a while back). I am constantly referring to this chart when I play SMAC or SMACX. Anyway, hope you find these charts useful as well.
Old July 26, 2001, 20:34   #20
sboog
Warlord

Thanks, Nethog,

I got the Excel viewer via your web page. And I was able to get the other two Civ2 files.

The latest SMAC files gave me a message that the file did not fit. But that is OK. I am not that advanced in SMAC anyway.

Your tech trees are really beautiful. I just have to say that.

sboog