Old July 26, 2001, 13:51   #121
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Actually, I can think of only one major OT'er that has never been active in the On-Topic forums, namely Iain Lindley (aka *End Is Forever*) who arrived here via Stewart Spink.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old July 26, 2001, 13:57   #122
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
Eyes man, you are such a tough guy! Wow, what if I went into that other thread? You might say something nasty to me...and what would I do?

You're kind of cute, you know...maybe if you weren't such a rough, tough civer I could hang...

Don't worry, I won't say anything bad about you now. You are the best, the bestest best cheater in the world! Nobody can win against you.

There feel better, little guy?
Old July 26, 2001, 14:01   #123
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
The OT posters, with the exception of maybe 5 prominent ones: including Lazarus and the Gimp, Faboba and maybe GP, all started in the Civ III and civ II sections:

Just do a search for their names in those sections

examples:

Imran Siddiqui
Snapcase
Alexander's Horse
DarkCloud over 492 topics posted in! All QUALITY!

name any OT poster and try a search. If he has over 200 posts in Civ III, or II then he can be defined as both an OTer and a CIVVER and thus, have double appeal
Son, I've done my time in the on topic...[/swaggering voice]
Old July 26, 2001, 14:53   #124
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 04:45
Quote:
And frankly, Solver, I have maybe seen you post once before you posted here in the Apolyton Community. Alexander's Horse has posted in Civ III, Civ II General, etc. Are you still sore that he called all CTP players, wusses? (Well... I might be insulted if I was addicted to CTP ) However, his ideas have generated much talk in the Civ III section.
Dang, Horse calls me a wuss over in civ2 general

But you have a point Darkcloud, I don't recall having heard of Solver until he became this interview dude. where has he been? Is he really a civer? what does he play, if he is?
Old July 26, 2001, 15:36   #125
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
Solver- you're basically saying that you're going to reject the interview- but you haven't seen it yet.

It's an interview with a prominent and well-known On-Topic poster on Civ and Apolyton issues.

What is your objection?

Is it because you dislike AH?

Is it because you don't know me?

Do you feel that the interview will be poorly written?

Do you feel that your position is being threatened?

Do you feel that posters who contribute mainly to the Off-Topic are unworthy of inclusion?

If you're going to reject an article unseen, at least allow me to reassure you in the areas where your doubts lie.
Old July 26, 2001, 15:54   #126
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 07:45
Solver, you are being a little ***** here... and this isn't some unwashed OTer speaking, it is a fellow staff member. Basically, your bias is absurd. Most of these interviews probably are passed over routinely because of the fact that no one knows who they are. I do recall WesW and Velo, because I was into SMAC and Civ forums. HOWEVER, I didn't read the interviews because they mean nothing to me. I'd rather read an interview of Laz or AH before another On-Topic mainstay (like who really cares about Tau Ceti?).

To solidify the point, the two newest members of the staff (me and Snapcase) both came from the Off Topic Forum. Would you deny us an interview simply because we came from there (now there are plenty of reasons to deny me an interview, that not being one of them ).

Quote:
Rah: So we can find out Ming's real name!
Heh... some of us know that already .

Quote:
And maybe Imran should be interviewed too, if only to soothe his ego.
Yes, please do, it is taking a beating on the forums these days .

Quote:
Imran is an interesting character, being a staff member with Deity post amount. Plus, he bring these news here.
And yet, most of it came from the Off Topic... *gasp*

Quote:
Plus he has been here for a long time and he's at home at both on-topic and off-topic forums. And he will also be delighted to talk about his fond memories of April fools.
Ah yes... Let me tell you about... HEY, where are you going!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 26, 2001, 16:14   #127
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Solver, you are being a little ***** here... and this isn't some unwashed OTer speaking, it is a fellow staff member.
And to think I knew you, Night Owl, when you were a "fellow unwashed". Back when we called people like GS, newbies! Aaah, how quickly they grow up and leave the nest!
Old July 26, 2001, 16:29   #128
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
(like who really cares about Tau Ceti?).
i do

this site has a specific topic. the way i see it, we should present people who have something to say around this topic.
if the only things one can ask someone is "what do you think about bush" and "are you creationist or not", then i dont want us to do it
Old July 26, 2001, 16:50   #129
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 07:45
Quote:
And to think I knew you, Night Owl, when you were a "fellow unwashed". Back when we called people like GS, newbies! Aaah, how quickly they grow up and leave the nest!
Still unwashed and proud of it . Ah well, waaay back then, GP... those were the days .

And Mark, there is plenty they can ask about the rich tapestry of the Off Topic and the history therein. Don't be so closed-minded .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 26, 2001, 16:59   #130
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What percent of the total traffic is OT?
Old July 26, 2001, 17:12   #131
Eyes_Of_Night
King

Local Time: 06:45
Little guy? Is that the best you can do? You are the perfect example of a geek. You're still going on and on about trying to get AH an interview, why do you care? I'm sure all of apolyton will rejoice and read his interview with drool running down their mouths. The anticipation of it is killing me, it really is. I think if you get an interview it pretty much confirms that you have no life.
Old July 26, 2001, 17:15   #132
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
[And Mark, there is plenty they can ask about the rich tapestry of the Off Topic and the history therein. Don't be so closed-minded .
well, i think there are lots of people who have contributed more than their posting to the community before considering other people....
Old July 26, 2001, 17:15   #133
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
What percent of the total traffic is OT?
irrelevant
Old July 26, 2001, 17:26   #134
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:45
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
i do

this site has a specific topic. the way i see it, we should present people who have something to say around this topic.
if the only things one can ask someone is "what do you think about bush" and "are you creationist or not", then i dont want us to do it
As the site has grown and developed (so sayeth the fount of all bull****), the topics in question have become twofold. 1) Civ, of course, and 2) Apolyton itself. An OT interview, though IM(H)O, secondary to Civ interviews would be no less interesting, because they provide another perspective on the "how did you find apolyton" question, and the "what is your best memory of the site" and all sorts of apolyton questions. Also, numerous people have mentioned that most OTers started in the on-topic forums, so would still have things to say on that subject. In many ways, they may be more intersting than a PBEM admin (no offence to any PBEM admins who are reading this ).
Old July 26, 2001, 17:37   #135
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
irrelevant
So the number, please? And don't give me that irrelevant stuff. Have you considered how the site would change with no OT?
Old July 26, 2001, 18:13   #136
Winston
Emperor

Here comes the $64,000 question: Why is it so important to get posters interviewed in the first place, OT or non-OT?

As I see it, Everyone is free to post and convey their opinions and recollections about games and Apolyton in any thread here on the forums. For that matter, everyone is free to set up an interview thread asking questions to whomever they like. We've had a ton of those already.

Is this really just about seeing one's name in lights (i.e. prominently placed as a news item) - both for the interviewee and the interviewer?

Because it sure looks like it, judging from this "debate".

Old July 26, 2001, 18:25   #137
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
Here comes the $64,000 question: Why is it so important to get posters interviewed in the first place, OT or non-OT?

As I see it, Everyone is free to post and convey their opinions and recollections about games and Apolyton in any thread here on the forums. For that matter, everyone is free to set up an interview thread asking questions to whomever they like. We've had a ton of those already.

Is this really just about seeing one's name in lights (i.e. prominently placed as a news item) - both for the interviewee and the interviewer?

Because it sure looks like it, judging from this "debate".

It is. It is also a matter of principle. Everyone who has spent a lot of time and contribuited a lot to Apolyton should have a fair chance to be interviewed in the spotlight.
Old July 26, 2001, 18:29   #138
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

No, it's not. It's for fun. As simple as that.
Old July 26, 2001, 18:37   #139
Winston
Emperor

If it is indeed for fun, people seem to get awfully upset about it. Reminds me of that whole Apolytoner of the Season thing we had a year ago. Everyone was fighting about who could get nominated and who couldn't. And it was as much a pseudo-event as anything.

I think some folks just have a strong need need to prove to others how important they are. Unfortunately, getting oneself interviewed on an Internet side (or interviewing someone in the same context) won't exactly cut it.
Old July 26, 2001, 18:41   #140
Colon™
Emperor

Winston, your profile says you registered in March 99, which means you’re here for two years already. Shouldn’t you be aware by now that Apolytoners always fight about issues that really don’t matter one iota?
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old July 26, 2001, 18:46   #141
Winston
Emperor

Yes, Colon. I'm just pointing it out in the hopes that not everybody will get so engulfed in this interview business that they lose all sense of perspective. A few on this thread have me a bit worried...
Old July 26, 2001, 18:51   #142
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Winston, dunno, perhaps you take the thing Apolyton too seriously
Old July 26, 2001, 18:56   #143
Colon™
Emperor

"Yes, Colon. I'm just pointing it out in the hopes that not everybody will get so engulfed in this interview business that they lose all sense of perspective. A few on this thread have me a bit worried..."

We want people to lose perspective, it keeps them at Apolyton.
Old July 26, 2001, 19:05   #144
Winston
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bee
Winston, dunno, perhaps you take the thing Apolyton too seriously
I'm working with that.

All I'm saying is a couple of others should start as well - today rather than tomorrow. Hence my comments above.
Old July 26, 2001, 20:17   #145
Father Beast
King

Wow! Bugs ****ing Bunny is Lazarus and the Gimp? That explains a lot. I can't keep track of all these name changes.

hey, maybe I have heard of solver after all! is he maybe orangesfwr? or maybe christantine?

Nah, he couldn't be Christantine. Solver's not that cool
Old July 26, 2001, 20:24   #146
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 06:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
hey, maybe I have heard of solver after all! is he maybe orangesfwr?
TRUST ME when I say that he isn't orangesfwr (who is now just orange)

Solver has never gone through a name change to the best of my knowledge
Old July 26, 2001, 20:25   #147
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
Wow! Bugs ****ing Bunny is Lazarus and the Gimp? That explains a lot. I can't keep track of all these name changes.

hey, maybe I have heard of solver after all! is he maybe orangesfwr? or maybe christantine?

Nah, he couldn't be Christantine. Solver's not that cool
I assume you are merely joking and spamming

OrangeSfwr is orange
Lazarus is Bugs,Trappist,etc.
Christantine the Great left apolyton when they changed to vbboard.
Old July 26, 2001, 20:31   #148
Colon™
Emperor

Well, I was right <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22239" TARGET=_blank>when I said that name changes are immoral</A>, wasn't I?
Old July 26, 2001, 20:46   #149
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

Solver has never gone through a name change to the best of my knowledge
In that case, I never heard of the guy until he became interview dude.
Old July 26, 2001, 20:48   #150
Father Beast
King

Quote:

Christantine the Great left apolyton when they changed to vbboard.
Oh, Man! I really liked him , too.

BTW, I guess this is my spam post for the day.