Old July 23, 2001, 17:41   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 11:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Death to the Morganites!
I got bored with my curent game. I'd probably win, but I was at war with everyone and I didn't want to go through the long and dreary process of eliminating Yang who was number 2 on the scale.

New game, talent level, random huge map. Found myself alone on a decent sized chunk of land. Spread out rapidly. Things were fine. Built the empath guild and tried to make nice with folks.

Everyone hated me. Not all declared vendetta, but it was obvious the UoP wasn't popular. Lal, my closest neighbor declared vendetta. Fine. Crushing him would be a good diversion. Miriam and Cha didn't like me but stayed out of my way. Deidre was in *****y mood but signed a treaty. Morgan at first was cool, but then decided he hated me. Fine.

Then I get the message that Morgan is going to corner the market in 20 years. Oh great. He's on the other side of the world!

And then EVERYONE teams up against me!

And then rogue IoD's kill my two captured IoD's that I was going to use to try and get to Morgan. (No one has D:I yet.)

Get the idea that the AI has stacked everything against me? I get the idea that as soon as I build some transports and launch them Lal will be ready to blow them away before they get to Morgan. I also looked in Morgan's HQ. He has about ten synthmetal guys in there! Probably more. So any force I can muster and maaaaybe get to him without incident will probably die in the effort.

Its late and I have to get some sleep, but I hate to give up. Still, i'd hate to spend an hour or so playing when I I'm almost assured that no matter what the AI will conjure up a sealurk to destroy my meager fleet that probably can't win anyway. Maybe tomorrow I'll continue....maybe I'll start a new game.

And if I do start a new game I will make it a point to crush Morgan like a bug just for ruining this game for me. (I shoulda disabled "economic victory")

Death to the Morganites! Burn their cities and make flutes from their bones! ('tis a dream I have) The only good morganite is a DEAD morganite!

D4
Old July 23, 2001, 17:49   #2
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 05:46
I've noticed that the color red proliferates in that post...

I hate Morgan. I hate playing as Morgan. But I hate Lal worse.
Old July 23, 2001, 18:09   #3
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:46
Morgan is my best buddy in all my games. lal is usually friendly until mid-game. I have never had Morgan get economic victory, let alone getting it before Doctrine Initiative ! What a bizzare game.

The AI will always hate you if your might too high. That's why it's better to play as a faction that gets off to a slower start, like the Drones or Believers or Gaians or Morganites. The U of P has a high power bar early on because of extra tech, then falls into the middle of the pack later on as the other faction's advantages kick in.
Old July 23, 2001, 18:16   #4
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
D4everman, that's **** bad luck. I have never been Economic Victored, even when I have played in Thinker level. How could of morgan came up with the tech and the creds so early?
What comes to the starting thing, I prefer Yang. You can fight back, and if you play right everyone won't be your back. I started a game on Thinker and I was on mid secyion of the powergraph until 25th Mission century. Then I started whomping Morgan, who was awkwardly big (that doesn't happen too often), Santiago and Uop (WHo were also very powerful). Gaians went along the way with hovertanks, and when I got gravships it was the end for them. But one time I just flipped out and PB'd the heck out of them. Got worm raped, pretty badly, after that. I hardly could put up VoP and AtT. Got 290 AC rating though, mostly on population.

(For the record, this is my 100/101th post. Warlord, it appears to be. Not that PC counts, but anyway.)
Old July 23, 2001, 19:02   #5
Avenoct
Prince

So True Dilith Dad,

The power graph affects the AI's attitude a whole bunch, and the poor UoP is always high on that in the beginning. There were some interesting posts recently? about giving AI factions a sense that they were powerful and the human weak, to help the AI better focus on infrastructure than streaming units at the player. Sorry, I don't have the treadlink for that one. Morgan makes the greatest ally with his commerce disposition. Sure, he gets more than he gives, but if he's a submissive who cares?

-Happy Crawlering,

Smack
Old July 23, 2001, 19:08   #6
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Congrats kassiopeia

Usually morgan is a great guy to have in the game. He's easy to get an alliance with (unless you go green) and provides you with tons of money. If he goes against you, his nonexistant military will not be enough to hold you off.
Old July 23, 2001, 20:40   #7
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

I always turn off economic victory when I am playing a builder faction because the algorithm that calculates the amount of money needed breaks when the rest of the world get over a certain size and resets the amount of money needed to zero.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old July 24, 2001, 02:15   #8
D4everman
Prince

"D4everman, that's **** bad luck. I have never been Economic Victored, even when I have played in Thinker level. How could of morgan came up with the tech and the creds so early?"

What techs does Morgan need in order to get an econ victory? I've got a sneaking suspicion that he might have gotten them from me in an early tech trade.

I don't mind everyone being pissed at my high power rating, I just hate it when everyone gangs up on me for absolutely no really good reason. I was sharing tech and trading. But some of the factions (Yang, Miriam) asked for things that were too much. A seething Sister M asking for Nonlinear Mathematics (and offering nothing, or saying I cannot trust you with that information) before my first impact unit is built is a no no. Arming her ships with better weapons would make my newly built sea bases to vulnerable.

Used to be I could trust some factions at least until midgame. Morgan was one of them. Now he's joined the ranks of my Beat down like a red headed stepchild list.

D4
Old July 24, 2001, 04:52   #9
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 04:46
Lefty, I have never seen the AI corner the market on me. And I for sure haven't experienced this bug where the AI faction only needs 0 credits to corner.

But I only play regular worlds. Does this bug manifest itself on large or huge worlds only?
Old July 24, 2001, 10:02   #10
death_head
Prince

Once, Domai tried to corner the market. Fortunately, it was the game where I was doing my "Stealthy Intimidation" experiment. read: Cloaked land transports containing PBs. Let's just say the plan was foiled.
Old July 24, 2001, 13:17   #11
RobN
Settler

I like playing as Morgan. I won controlling the Morganites by buying my way to victory. I was way down on the power chart but gained trancendence.
Old July 24, 2001, 15:53   #12
Clear Skies
Prince

"cloaked land transports..."

The land transports bit is all very well, but the AI can see through cloaking devices, or so I believe. That's why the 'units can hide in fungus' rule never does seem to work out properly - in my experience the AI attacks units in fungus whatever happens.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old July 24, 2001, 16:14   #13
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
At least a human needs Planetary Economics (B4) for a econ victory. There's only one requirement tech, Intellectual Integrity (E3), which seems strange 'cuz for example diplomatic victory needs Mind Machine interface, C6, derived from C4 and C5 level techs. Conclusion: Economic victory can be achieved nearly too quickly.
And yes, Morgan usually gets whopped up in the early game, but this time he started alone on an island, from Monsoon Jungle, and what I could see, he seemed to avoid that population limit he has, max four w/o Hab Complex. Maybe a bug... Well, in 2421 the landmark "Monsoon Jungle" was underwater
Old July 24, 2001, 16:57   #14
death_head
Prince

They ignored it the entire game...I know that they should've attacked it though.