Old July 24, 2001, 07:25   #1
solar
Settler

Local Time: 06:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Power Plants
When I start my own game it won't let me build power plants. I have all of the technologies and am on Future Technology 7.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:33   #2
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:47
Did you build the Hoover Dam? That works as a hydro plant in all your cities, so you no longer need to build power (or hydro or nuclear) plants.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:35   #3
solar
Settler

Yeah, I have that one, but I need a lot of solar plants to stop global warming.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:50   #4
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:47
you playing 2x production ?? i dont usually get gloabal warming on 1x production... do others get this problem
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 24, 2001, 07:53   #5
solar
Settler

What is 2x production? I just got the game on Saturday.
Old July 24, 2001, 08:16   #6
Meeko
Settler

Local Time: 20:47
Isn't the only way to play on double resources in multiplayer?

If you've built the Hoover Dam, then you cannot build Power Plants, Hydro Plants or Nuclear Power Plans: the Hoover Dam WoW acts like a free Hydro Plant in every city: there's no need to build it anymore, just make sure that you don't lose the city where you built the HD in.

As for building Solar Plants, you should still be able to do so, but it would not actually make that much difference: if there is any pollution on the map at all, then try and clean it up using your Engineers: that's what's contributing to the pollution, and normally the computer never gets around to cleaning up pollution on its own, so you'll need to take the initiative.

As for global warming, I've had this happen to me many times before (around 3 different games in all: that's still a lot, for global warming), and when it happens, everyone loses. The sea level rises, and many squares near ocean squares become swamps/jungles, or something as bad, and I think maybe some change into water squares as well, but don't know about the latter. I think they only change into water if there's several levels of global warming: I once had five different global warming incidents in the one game (maybe more: it accumulates).

If the square underneath your city changes, there's no way to get it back (it does not allow you to irrigate/transform terrain in cities).

Anyway, back to the original question, you don't need power plants.

Last edited by Meeko; July 24, 2001 at 08:29.
Old July 24, 2001, 08:23   #7
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 07:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Meeko
If the square underneath your city changes, there's no way to get it back (it does not allow you to irrigate/transform terrain in cities).
Not in my experience. I've done lots of changes to city squares, mining grass to forest, irrigating swamp to grassland, even transforming grassland to hills.
Old July 24, 2001, 08:40   #8
Meeko
Settler

Old version
Heh, I guess I'll have to get global warming again, but deliberately this time.

Hmm...they may have fixed it in the later versions, because I only ever got global warming in one of the earlier versions of the game (practice makes perfect: I can improve!).

So did you just irrigate/mine/transform the terrain inside your city itself?
Old July 24, 2001, 08:44   #9
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Isn't the only way to play on double resources in multiplayer?
Yes, you are correct. In multiplay, you have the option to use double resource or/and double movement. However, you can play double resource in sp mode by just loading a multiplay game, setting the options, and then just starting the game with no other players... It's a good way to practice double resource or double movement strategies when nobody else is around
Old July 24, 2001, 08:51   #10
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Re: Old version
Quote:
So did you just irrigate/mine/transform the terrain inside your city itself?
Yes, I moved the settler into the city and pressed the appropriate command key. After the standard number of turns passed, the terrain under the city changed. Note that some combinations are not allowed: you can't mine hills, desert, or mountains under a city.
Old July 24, 2001, 08:55   #11
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i have tried a few times to play 2x prod , but my game play from 1x always defeats me into building factories and offshore paltforms which then creates lots of pollution so i find myself forced to build all the anti polution ones mass move, recycleing etc, but still end up with lots of pollution , so in the end i just dedicate 10 or so engineers to just pollution clean up. would be a nice feature of civ 3 to let you assign an auto settler tpye command but be able to define just what it can do , like clear up pollution
Old July 25, 2001, 02:49   #12
Alex 14
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by solar
What is 2x production? I just got the game on Saturday.
It increases your cities production output by 2x. Mind you I only found that out myself a while ago.
Old July 25, 2001, 07:23   #13
Meeko
Settler

Rasputin's pollution problem
Have you tried building Mass Transits in those cities? They clear out a lot of pollution in the larger cities...
Old July 25, 2001, 10:18   #14
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Re: Rasputin's pollution problem
Quote:
Have you tried building Mass Transits in those cities? They clear out a lot of pollution in the larger cities...
ummm yes i build them, i eroonousl ycalled them mass move as i forgot their name in my post above, but i find that in 2x2x the pollution just keeps building....
Old July 25, 2001, 17:28   #15
cpemma
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:47
3 sorts of pollution,
Population - Mass Transit cures it
Industrial - Recycling plant reduces by 50%, Solar Plant by 100%
Radio-Active - Engineering clean-up team needed

Global warming can occur if 9 or more skulls are left untreated - like triremes sinking, there's a random factor.

I've had it once, on green & pleasant (but low shield) land, a mild dose can be useful
Old July 25, 2001, 17:41   #16
cpemma
Chieftain

Quote:
you can't mine hills, desert, or mountains under a city...
I tried that in my current game, building a city on a mined hill. Result no mine. I suppose it's the same reason you can't irrigate a mined hill (you lose the mine), and new cities come with irrigation built-in.
Old July 25, 2001, 21:03   #17
ostrander-bellepoint
Settler

Pollution, if ignored long enough, will turn all land squares into swamp except for hills and mountains. I think it takes about twenty or more incidents of the sea levels rising to do this. Pollution never turns land squares into ocean squares in Civ II.
Old July 26, 2001, 02:02   #18
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 14:47
Quote:
Originally posted by cpemma
3 sorts of pollution,
Population - Mass Transit cures it
Industrial - Recycling plant reduces by 50%, Solar Plant by 100%
Radio-Active - Engineering clean-up team needed
Actually, IIRC, recycling plant reduces 66% pollution, and hydro plants also reduce pollution (can't remember how much).
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 26, 2001, 04:48   #19
fittstim
Warlord

Re: Re: Old version
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveV

Note that some combinations are not allowed: you can't mine hills, desert, or mountains under a city.
This is strictly true but I thought I read somewhere that you can work around this but you actually have to WANT to have your city on a hill. For example, your city is on grasslands. You move three engineers into the city. Set one of the engineers to mine (this would theoretically change the square to a forest) and two of the engineers to transform (creates a hill). The result is that the square will be made into a hill BEFORE the mining is complete. Then the engineer will continue to mine and, presto, after a few turns you have a city on a hill with a mine.

This also works before building a city. Move 2 settlers or engineers onto the hill. Set one to mine (FIRST), then build the city. The mining will continue and you'll have a city on a hill with a mine.

As to the original question, I have never ever built a power plant because they produce so so so much pollution. I do, however, almost always succeed in building the Hoover Dam...
Old July 26, 2001, 06:36   #20
Meeko
Settler

Have you tried building solar power plants? I was reading this file in my Civ2 folder about the changes between Civ and Civ2:

It mentioned Solar Power Plants and how they they eliminate the pollution caused by "too much future tech".

I don't know if it's the Future Technology advance that it's refering to (it was in quotation marks in the file as well), but if it is, then you need Solar Power Plants...how much Future Tech do you have?
Old July 26, 2001, 16:00   #21
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

The formulae for both population and industrial pollution appear to contain a modifier based on the total number of techs possessed by a civilization. This is how additional future techs can make it worse. There are also four key techs that increase pollution effects. (As I recall these are automobile, industrialization, plastics, and refining. Someone help here with a reference to the formulae, please.)

Hydro plants cut industrial pollution by 50 per cent as do nuclear plants. Note you can only build one kind of power plant at a time (with the exception of solar plants). Thus, if you want to change types, you must sell the current to start building the replacement (or to switch to the replacement if you started out building some other improvement.) HD represents a hydro plant in every city, so power plants and nuke plants are not available once you own it.

Solar plants are available with the discovery of environmentalism and can be built in cities that have a factory and/or manufacturing plant. If you have the tech and either production improvement in one of your cities, then you should be able to build it. Solar plants affect not only the city in which they are built, but also affect the formula for global warming in general, making it less likely.

Nuclear plants can melt down when a city with one is in disorder. Discovery of fusion power prevents this.
Old July 26, 2001, 16:03   #22
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

I rarely get far into the future techs because I usually get bored, but I heard somewhere that Future Tech 63 or a nearby tech causes a huge increase in pollution levels.
Old July 26, 2001, 19:14   #23
EOL
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
Nuclear plants can melt down when a city with one is in disorder. Discovery of fusion power prevents this.
Has anyone ever had this happen. I can't recall ever having built one so I have no idea what occurs, just some pollution or is it like a nuke's gone off?
Old July 26, 2001, 21:00   #24
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by EOL

Has anyone ever had this happen. I can't recall ever having built one so I have no idea what occurs, just some pollution or is it like a nuke's gone off?
happened to me once, its just liek having a nuke land on your city, all dead and lots of pollution
Old July 27, 2001, 13:19   #25
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Once created the conditions for a meltdown deliberately in a game that had gone awry. Rasputin is mostly correct. The population/polution affects were like a bomb, complete with sound effects, but the troops in and adjacent to the city were unaffected. Note that if the disorder causes the government to fall, this effect can occur more than once in the same city. In such a case, sell the stupid plant!
Old July 27, 2001, 15:30   #26
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
Note that if the disorder causes the government to fall, this effect can occur more than once in the same city. In such a case, sell the stupid plant!
I don't remember the last time I had a meltdown, but can I conclude from your post that a meltdown will blow up half the city but leave the nuclear plant itself undamaged? That must be another one of those unrealistic features in Civ2.
Old July 28, 2001, 16:46   #27
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Many (most?) nuclear plants have more than one reactor and corresponding cooling towers. Thus, Chernobyl goes on producing power despite the complete sealing of Unit Four. Three Mile Island apparently could have done the same, but this was politically unobtainable. In my very limited experience the meltdown didn't destroy any improvements. Civ II is not sophisticated enough to include repairs to improvements (or upgrades for that matter), so the disorder and meltdown only killed people and polluted the surrounding territory.