Old July 24, 2001, 19:29   #1
Probbka
King

Local Time: 05:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Windows 2000
In the letters, on Firaxis' web site, someone asked about whether Macintosh and Linux versions would be released. But my question is: will the Windows version be compatible with Windows 2000? I would really hate to buy this game, like I have others, only to get home and find it's 95/98/Me only.

Probbka
Old July 24, 2001, 19:42   #2
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:47
Yes, the game is compatible with Win2K, Firaxis has confirmed that. Civ2MGE is also compatilbe with Win2K so Civ3 diffently should be as well. I wonder if Civ3 will be compatible with the new Windows coming out, Windows XP (set for release this fall). Firaxis, do you know if Civ3 will be compatible with Windows XP?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 24, 2001, 20:33   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:47
XP is released Tech, and it blows monkey nuts.

it sends a digital fingerprint from your box to micro$****, showing them all your hardware and basically you're whole box's status.

and i had problems with drivers, eg when i installed a new video card. i had to reformat.

in any case, make sure u make a CD of all YOUR DAMN drivers before you try XP, because unlike ME, XP doesn't have "generic" drivers for most hardware, which is supposed to make it more stable.

personally, i hat micro$hit, and i only use their OSes for games.

the second a linux port is out for civ 3 im done for a while.
Old July 24, 2001, 21:37   #4
Probbka
King

Uber, I second that. Thanks for the info, guys.
Old July 25, 2001, 01:46   #5
TechWins
King

Quote:
XP is released Tech, and it blows monkey nuts.
Wow, I didn't think it was going to come out for another couple of months. Besides the fact that the drivers part sucks is the system better than W2K? W2K is so much better than W98 but is WXP that much better than W2K?

Yeah, you're welcome for the info.l
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 25, 2001, 01:58   #6
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Wow, I didn't think it was going to come out for another couple of months. Besides the fact that the drivers part sucks is the system better than W2K? W2K is so much better than W98 but is WXP that much better than W2K?

Yeah, you're welcome for the info.l
Windows XP is not released yet. They have released what Microsoft calls Release Candidates. I find it interesting that someone that hates Microsoft as much as UberKrux apparently does would have purchased the ten dollar preview OS. I also wonder, why you are upset you had to reformat your hard drive - all windows os should be installed cleanly on to a system.

As for whether Civ III will work on XP, it definitely will. XP is based on the 2000 kernel and it should have little problems with games designed to work on NT. Yes, drivers are a problem but that is because most hardware vendors still built their devices for the old line of MS OS of the 16 bit variety 95/98/ME. 2000 and XP are built on a 32 bit system which adds stability but also means that drivers need to be remade. This is not the fault of MS, just of the fact that we need more stable systems and that technology has advanced.
Old July 25, 2001, 02:33   #7
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 21:47
Windows XP is released here, the same with office XP, they are NOT previews.
Old July 25, 2001, 03:21   #8
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
Windows XP is released here, the same with office XP, they are NOT previews.
First of all I am not debating Office XP, I know it has been released.

Now on to Windows XP. I know for a fact that it has not been released in a final format in the U.S. How do I know this?

Well first of all the official date in all the catalogs I look at say October 25th. Second, how about the fact I walked into Best Buy today and there were not a ton of new copies of Windows XP waiting for me to pick them up. I think if MS released a new OS, it would have been front and center just like all the rest of them were. How about that I just downloaded a copy of XP Release Candidate 1 to make sure the apps I need for a law office that I help work on their computers would function properly if they decide to upgrade. Fourth reason, it is not on Amazon. Finally, MS says on their website that it is not available yet, it is coming out in October.

So, I do not know about Australia, but I find it hard to believe that MS would release their latest OS down under before it is released in the states. Maybe it has happened and I just don't know, but that seems unlikely to me...

Oh and one last piece of evidence against Windows XP final release having already been released this clock from the microsoft website, see it live at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/default.asp
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	windowsxp.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	1236  
Old July 25, 2001, 03:28   #9
TechWins
King

Well, I'm going to have to side with tniem on this one, with the mountain of evidence he has. So I was originally correct stating that WinXP would be realeased in the fall.

I would also like to state that this thread should be closed now because the original puspose of this thread ("will the Windows version be compatible with Windows 2000?") has been accomplished. Thank you.
Old July 25, 2001, 03:29   #10
tniem
King

Oh and since you had sparked my interest, I decided to go look at MS's Australia section of their site. I wanted to know if I really could get a copy of the OS and import it to the U.S.

I took the attached screenshots from http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/. They clearly say that the new OS will be available October 25.

I also visited an Australian software website, http://www.corpsoft.com.au/, and they have no mention of Windows XP. They have all previous MS OSs as well as MS Office XP, but not Windows XP. So it would appear you cannot buy Windows XP on a major Australian software company (first mentioned based on links on Google) and Microsoft says that it is not released yet. Call me sceptical but I really don't believe that you are correct in your statement that Windows XP has been released in Australia. I guess, I kind of trust Microsoft's website more than I do a post on ACS.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	australia.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1237  
Old July 25, 2001, 05:54   #11
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:47
Always good to see evidence used to correct some kid who thinks he knows all, hang on am i doing the same, presuming he is a kid ??? Damn must be an aussei tradition...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 25, 2001, 15:36   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

then what the hell do i have here?

is the warez community really that far ahead of capitialism?

i'll take debian over any micro$hit os.
Old July 25, 2001, 18:00   #13
death_head
Prince

I bought Office 95 for 20 pesos off a street vendor in Taxco, Mexico...worked just fine...and it cost me $2.

The moral: Go to Mexico and look for XP.
Old July 25, 2001, 18:33   #14
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by death_head
I bought Office 95 for 20 pesos off a street vendor in Taxco, Mexico...worked just fine...and it cost me $2.

The moral: Go to Mexico and look for XP.
Wonder how that'll work with XP doing ET impersonations by having to phone home before it'll let you use it for any significant length of time or upgrade your system
Old July 25, 2001, 18:34   #15
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
then what the hell do i have here?

is the warez community really that far ahead of capitialism?

i'll take debian over any micro$hit os.
Most likely the warez community has hacked the Windows XP RC1 files. Microsoft hasn't finished the second release candidate, let alone the finish product. So you cannot have the final version, yet.
Old July 25, 2001, 19:51   #16
Mark_Lipovrovskiy
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:47
Serapis, when XP is out, it'll be cracked before the truck reaches the shops
Maybe I'll get it... Just maybe.
M$ is rich enough without the dough I don't have.
I'm gonna get Mandrake first tho - RedHat is giving me a headache... Bad package selection, and quite bad install. I'm just an ordinary guy so I'd love some help from the software.
Mandrake seems to give more of that, and in better, shall we say, taste. I'm sorry to say that Debian is, according to the rumors I heard, inferior... But I don't know, haven't seen it.
Let's talk no more of software piracy. It's a game forum, and let's not make the ol Firaxis guys angry, bitter and homicidal. I, for one, promise I won't pirate their game. I respect them too much.
Go Linux! Even I can afford it ! And it's good too!
Old July 26, 2001, 07:29   #17
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:47
Actually, reason of XP not supporting so much hardware now is that it's pre-release.