Old November 5, 2000, 18:02   #1
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 18:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
partisan barbarians won't attack your partisans
In a recent game, an exploring spy tipped a hut and was surrounded by barb partisans. I bribed two, leaving the spy to be attacked. The two partisans were ignored by the barbs! I moved them freely with the horde for several turns, and no attack. I suspect that if I had hidden the spy with a bribed partisan, it could have escaped.
Old November 5, 2000, 18:29   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Interesting theory. Sometimes - well, not very often, I have to say - the barbs simply don't attack, regardless of their unit. I've tipped huts, found barbs, waited for the demolition job, and the barbs have disappeared in another direction. Maybe they get called home for dinner or something.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old November 5, 2000, 18:50   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:46
seems to happen to units with ignore ZOC flag more than others.Same thing will happen with explorers and dips/spys.I've had those units surrounded by hut barbs.Sometimes they attack sometimes they don't.Other times 1 or 2 will attack while others head off.I've seen it with freights also.

Barb partisans definitly seem to prefer pillaging and fortifying to attacking.
Old November 6, 2000, 10:57   #4
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 23:46
Yes, they don't attack cities either.
Old November 6, 2000, 19:43   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Yes, many times I have been surprised that the barb partisans don't attack a unit opening a hut. Recently, whilst playing on a gigamap, they even left my spy alone!

During the same game, I was capturing cities where partisans were appearing. On one occasion my army of occupation was rather small, so a spy bribed a couple of partisans to boost the garrison. One turned out to be vet, the other not!

SG (2)
Old November 7, 2000, 02:14   #6
tonic
King

Agree with Smash that they tend to pillage and fortify which was one of the points in my concurrent thread. It is frustrating if one doesn't have the gold to bribe or sufficient attack units to clear their locust-like hold.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:15   #7
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In the past I noticed another situation where barbs neither attack nor move. I run a test:

It looks the scheme is roughly the following:
Barb has its target (in my test it was the closest city, but I suppose the target may be different). He wants to move to this target using the go-to path (Interesting observations on the effects of roads on trade). If there is a dip on the square in the go-to direction then the barb attacks without any hesitation. But if the dip don't stay directly on the go-to path and his ZOC hinders the barb to move to his target then the dip is unnatackable. The barb can 'sleep' many turns this way.
There may be no other types of units on the 'unattackable square', only dips and spies. Also partisans and explorers don't work.
Old May 4, 2003, 17:38   #8
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by finbar
Interesting theory. Sometimes - well, not very often, I have to say - the barbs simply don't attack, regardless of their unit. I've tipped huts, found barbs, waited for the demolition job, and the barbs have disappeared in another direction. Maybe they get called home for dinner or something.
As good a reason as any

I've noticed that too... every once in a while, your early searcher warrior will tip a hut, a barb horse appears, and then strolls away instead of attacking. Rare, but happens...
Old May 4, 2003, 23:11   #9
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
Reminds me of someone's sig (roughly):
"I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is… oh, donuts!"
Old May 5, 2003, 09:16   #10
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yes, it's always a plesant surprise when the hut barb doesn't attack and just takes off. Unfortunately it only seems to happen 1 every three games.