Old July 25, 2001, 14:37   #1
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
City view
does anybody actually use this in civ 2 , i did for the first two weeks but got bored very quickly with it. is the same option in civ 3 if so is it just a waste of programmers times and effort... what does it add to the game ?
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 25, 2001, 15:09   #2
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 12:48
I think it was supposed to be a great 3-D graphic feature but now its just ridiculous. I cant think of a more worthless feature in civ 2, the civ 1 city view was 2-D but I liked it, it gave the game a nice atmosphere, especially the marching soldiers when you conquered a city
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old July 25, 2001, 15:17   #3
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i hear so many good things re civ 1 , i think i should get a copy and play it for fun ... must be a free civ 1 site somewhere !!!
Old July 25, 2001, 15:21   #4
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:48
They might still have conquering armies marching in the city view. The city screens are always gonna be fluff for Civ games, but its damn good fluff, little stuff that just makes things more fun.
Old July 25, 2001, 15:28   #5
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

not much fun reaaly
i find the Advisors more fun, the city view wasnt reaaly useful , a bit like the throne room .... sugar candy thats nice for a while but after a while it gets turned off never to be seen again .
Old July 25, 2001, 16:16   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 13:48
I liked the cityview in The first Civ game and checked the cities all the time, but I think the city view in Civ2 was worse than in Civ1, but from the screenshot I think the cityview will be a nice feature

But the throne room in Civ1 was annoying, but this was more because I had to change disk all the time...I had an Amiga without a HD...but I guess I wont have this problem in Civ3
Old July 25, 2001, 17:51   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
Rasptuin, try http://www.theunderdogs.org

I downloaded mine there, no problemo. It won't allow you to link directly to the download page, put just do a game search for "Civilization" and browse the results.
Old July 25, 2001, 17:57   #8
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 05:48
Fluff defines a game...the best part of Conquest of the New World is watching the animated bears chase people around your buildings...
Old July 26, 2001, 02:17   #9
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:48
Quote:
does anybody actually use this in civ 2 , i did for the first two weeks but got bored very quickly with it. is the same option in civ 3 if so is it just a waste of programmers times and effort... what does it add to the game ?
I don't even think I've used it that long. I think I've only looked at about five times at most. It's kind of lame. Although, it does add flavor to the game. It seems appearant that the City View will be in Civ3, from all the screenshots.

Quote:
i find the Advisors more fun, the city view wasnt reaaly useful , a bit like the throne room
I hate the advisors while I happen to like the throne room. I wish the would expand upon this option and make it even a far greater option.

Quote:
But the throne room in Civ1 was annoying, but this was more because I had to change disk all the time...I had an Amiga without a HD...but I guess I wont have this problem in Civ3
I have never played Civ1 but I do know that the thron room was only in Civ2. I believe Civ1 had a palace of some sort.

Quote:
I downloaded mine there, no problemo. It won't allow you to link directly to the download page, put just do a game search for "Civilization" and browse the results.
I've been curious to see how the play in Civ1 is, as well. So I tried your link and the only game I found there was Advanced Civilization, I typed in Civilization. Is this the correct game? I don't think it is, especially because of this statement "Advanced Civilization is another one of Avalon Hill's classic board games".
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 26, 2001, 02:41   #10
Alex 14
Prince

The city view option in Civ 3 might come with some uselful features.
Old July 26, 2001, 08:45   #11
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Darn. I guess I downloaded it from some other site, though I clearly remember it was the Underdogs. I think I'll search for it and put the link here. Aren't I nice?
Old July 26, 2001, 08:52   #12
Kassiopeia
Emperor

http://gamebird.dk

and choose strategy -section
Old July 26, 2001, 09:52   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I have never played Civ1 but I do know that the thron room was only in Civ2. I believe Civ1 had a palace of some sort.
You're right, it wasn't a throne room in Civ1, but a palace instead, but the thing was acutally the same...choose what part should be upgraded first...next...etc
Old July 26, 2001, 10:27   #14
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:48
I thought the city view was fun to play with, like all the other extras, but I'd take rock-solid gameplay and a killer AI over the fluff any day.
Old July 26, 2001, 11:14   #15
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 12:48
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

I've been curious to see how the play in Civ1 is, as well. So I tried your link and the only game I found there was Advanced Civilization, I typed in Civilization. Is this the correct game? I don't think it is, especially because of this statement "Advanced Civilization is another one of Avalon Hill's classic board games".
I think they had to remove all the Microprose games due to some copyrigt protection or something like that, and I wanted to download Colonization and Civilization
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old July 26, 2001, 11:58   #16
Mark_Lipovrovskiy
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:48
If anyone wants Civilisation 1 or Colonisation drop me a line. They're outta the abandonware sites now cuz it's still being sold. Civ1 at least, not sure bout colonization.
Old July 27, 2001, 09:59   #17
death_head
Prince

What is Colonization?
Old July 27, 2001, 11:38   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

colonization is the game conquest of the new world in civilization form...this means te story of Conquest of the new world, but works as if it was civilization
Old July 27, 2001, 11:50   #19
Rommel393
Warlord

Wow thanks Kassi for the link to that abondonware site. Not only can I get civ1 for free three are a whole bunch of other perfectly fine games to download Their all full games right?
Old July 27, 2001, 11:58   #20
One More Turn!
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:48
Whenever I play CivII,, I always hit the city view button by mistake when trying to exit the city info screen.

The cityview screen would be more interesting if it showed cities that had some unique features that separate that city from every other one.

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker
Old July 27, 2001, 12:10   #21
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by One More Turn!
The cityview screen would be more interesting if it showed cities that had some unique features that separate that city from every other one.
That could be interesting, this could be done this way:

-A city are having that much beach as it is of water around the city, and the beaches is not always alike

-The same could be done with dessert, mountains, forrest, etc

-A strongly pollutet city is also remarkable in the cityview

-A poor city (with low gold income) looks poor, a rich city looks rich (nicer buildings, etc)

If this is done right Firaxis could have a "Share your city" site!!! It will at least make the city view much more interesting
Old July 27, 2001, 12:45   #22
Sabre2th
King

Some great ideas Hard to say if it's doable at this stage, but great ideas for the view anyway.
Old July 27, 2001, 16:53   #23
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel393
Wow thanks Kassi for the link to that abondonware site. Not only can I get civ1 for free three are a whole bunch of other perfectly fine games to download Their all full games right?
They should be. The Web is full of those sites, lotsa games like Elite and MOO. I'm an abandonware fanatic too.
Old July 27, 2001, 17:23   #24
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

I hate it to say but the city view in civ2 sucks.
How big your city grows............. it still stays half empty !
The civ1 city view really showed a crowded city after some time............

I bought civ1 recently ! The official game !
I have it on CD right now.
It's only 3.74 MB

mail me (robert@plompweb.net) and I'll reply the game zipped to you.
Old July 27, 2001, 18:19   #25
meriadoc
Warlord

I must admit to not having used the City View feature in Civ2 that much, but when I did I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed seeing the troops march through a city when I captured it, so overall I think that they should include a city view of some sorts, preferably a good sorts, with Civ3.

The throne room, though, is harder to think about. In Civ2 it looked nice, but it never changed so it got boring quick. At least in Civ1 you choose which sections of the palace got changed to what style. You could have a combination of middle-eastern and western palaces all in one. If Civ3 is to have a throne room, palace, or other such feature then it's going to have to have some ability for the player to have some influence over its final looks. If it's the same old thing over and over again many players, me included, will probably turn it off.

Still, those who say that "fluff" adds to the game are correct. When it's done correctly, it vastly improves the atmosphere of the game, and lets face it the atmosphere is one of the most important aspects of the Civ genre.
Old July 27, 2001, 18:42   #26
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Lipovrovskiy
If anyone wants Civilisation 1 or Colonisation drop me a line. They're outta the abandonware sites now cuz it's still being sold. Civ1 at least, not sure bout colonization.
Weeeeeee!!!!

Another Israeli!

Oh, Civ3? Yeah... Uhhh... I really liked the palace in Civ1. But then I played it when I was 10 and I thought that Legions are the best unit ever...
Old July 28, 2001, 08:16   #27
Alex 14
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
I hate it to say but the city view in civ2 sucks.
How big your city grows............. it still stays half empty !
The civ1 city view really showed a crowded city after some time............

I bought civ1 recently ! The official game !
I have it on CD right now.
It's only 3.74 MB

mail me (robert@plompweb.net) and I'll reply the game zipped to you.
3.74 MB, that doesnt sound right.
Old July 28, 2001, 12:08   #28
Kassiopeia
Emperor

It's right, if it's already zipped. My copy is some four megabytes.