View Poll Results: What civ from Civ2 shouldn't be in Civ3?
Celts 7 9.21%
Japanesse 3 3.95%
Zulus 2 2.63%
Americans 24 31.58%
Aztecs 1 1.32%
Sioux 13 17.11%
Carthaginians 12 15.79%
Vikings 4 5.26%
Mongols 2 2.63%
Other 8 10.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31, 2001, 10:44   #121
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That cup is ours! We stole...er.....won it fair and square!

Old July 31, 2001, 11:51   #122
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 04:49
sorry about getting off topic, but... I'll never understand how the Rangers, which have a gizzilion dollars, can have such a crappy team!

(kinda funny how the Avalanche won the cup 2 years after leaving Quebec... a conspiricay?)
Old July 31, 2001, 12:06   #123
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
don't forget it is the US who is engaging in massive cover up of UFOs and aliens and staging a fake moon landing
Quote:
I'll never understand how the Rangers, which have a gizzilion dollars, can have such a crappy team!

(kinda funny how the Avalanche won the cup 2 years after leaving Quebec... a conspiricay?)
We arrogant, warmongering, slaving Americans love our conspiracies.
Old July 31, 2001, 12:30   #124
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
tech, i bet you have a 'main street' and 'broad street', right? see, the town i am in has a sucky nike store (out of dri fit in the middle of july) and i use public transport instead of the car....strangely, streets are full of american tourists and i bet there are no europeans taking photos of your shopping mall or basketball court . we like decay, old things and impractical things
well up until i few years ago i'd hav said the reason you dont see european tourists in the US is cause they cant afford the hotels filled with Japanese tourist I mean Boston, philly, DC, Frisco, etc were all filled with Japanese tourists with big cameras taking pictures of everything (guess it gave us some of the European experience) With economic change we get less Japanese and more Europeans. I even got a chance to use my high school French last year helping a family looking for a particular museum in my town (of course they could have been quebecers!)

We have plenty of old things, unless you're one of those europeans who thinks anything built since 1750 is new.

LOTM
Old July 31, 2001, 12:47   #125
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
the best cities in the us are very european - nyc, sf, new orleans...
How are they European?
Old July 31, 2001, 13:24   #126
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
Vikings. Nothing whatsoever justifies their existance: They lasted as a power for a few dozen years, and a minor one even then. No great leaders or scholars (Alcuin excepted) ever emerged from their midst. Their technical advances were mostly of a military nature, even their amazing work with accurate optics, and much of it was derivative of other cultures. In fact, they were very much "behind" neighbouring nations at the time. As a barbarian tribe, yes, but not as a civilization.
Leave them in. They are very scary to newbies and thus have a good game function.
Old July 31, 2001, 13:32   #127
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

Leave them in. They are very scary to newbies and thus have a good game function.
How are they scary to civ newbies?
Old July 31, 2001, 14:03   #128
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:49
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
the best cities in the us are very european - nyc, sf, new orleans...
You're a dumbass, NYC is nothing like Europe. You walk into Brooklyn or the Bronx and try and find Europe. You walk down Queens Boulevard and tell me what's European about it. Name me one European city that even remotely resembles Manhattan? If you grew up in NYC and travel through Europe, like I have, you'd know there is no similarity. NYC is in its own category, there is no other city in the world like NYC and NYC is like no other city. The only thing European NYC has is the fascist Guiliani as mayor.

edit: spelling
Old July 31, 2001, 14:47   #129
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV You're a dumbass
While I think you're more right than him about the European/American cities, there's no reason to call him a dumbass. There have been far too many insults and flames lately. I think you're missing the point of the Apolyton forums.

Taken from the Apolyton FAQ:

Quote:
XI) What can't I post?
Insults, flames, hatred comments, spamming, advertisements are an abuse of your priviledge to post and can result to a penalty

(revised in v.1.1, 26/July/99 and v.1.6, 27/September/99)
XII) The forums are moderated, someone has the ability to ban people and close and delete threads. How can you have such rules? Where is freedom of speech?
Use of these forums is a privilege, not a right; in return for this privilege, you are asked to follow a few simple rules. The "freedom of speech" guarenteed by the U.S. Constitution only protects you from governmental intervention in your right to express yourself -- it doesn't give you free reign to use computer resources against the wishes of their owner.
Old July 31, 2001, 17:58   #130
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 06:49
I've read this type of discussion before on Apolyton, and it always amuses me. America's better, Europe's better, Western culture this, Eurocentric that. And, although I'd love to jump into the mud pit and wrestle around a bit, I think I'll hold off and say, " 'nough said".

But I would like to address another thing that has always fascinated me about many of the Civ fans here on Apolyton. Why do you insist on making sure that everything (read, "in general . . .") in Civ follows historical precedence?

Who cares that no one had such and such technology in 1000 AD, or that would never have happened, or this and that Civ never had an impact on history? WHO CARES?

The whole POINT of the game is to change history. Make it something it was not. I LOVE to play the Sioux or Zulus in CtP2 simply because they were NOT great civs. I want to make them great. I want to change history. I want to see how far I can take them. I want to see the Sioux become the superpower of the world --simply because I can . . . . because it's a game .

To me, this poll is pointless. Give me the choice to choose a non-descript Civ. Maybe I can do something with them they were not able to do historically. I understand you have to start and stop somewhere, but come on . . . !

Ok, 'nough said.
Old July 31, 2001, 19:11   #131
TechWins
King

Quote:
To me, this poll is pointless.
How is this poll pointless? I would say letting people express their feelings on which civ from Civ2 should not be in Civ3 is reasonable. I think the 16 civs that should be in the game should be the one's that have done the most historically. I don't want to see Jamaica, Madagascar, Congo, Taiwan, etc... I want to see countries that have accomplished a considerable amount in history. It's only fair to have the most deserving in the game. If you don't like being fair then use custom civ. (Credit for this poll is given to GP & SerapisIV)
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 31, 2001, 19:12   #132
Sabre2th
King

I agree that the poll was unnecessary. What I also think is unnecessary is some peoples' need to feel superior. If you have opinions about another country, great, but don't insult the people who live there.

EDIT: U=I

Last edited by Sabre2th; August 1, 2001 at 11:25.
Old August 1, 2001, 02:34   #133
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 11:49
Agreed Sabre2th. More than being slightly insulted by some of the posts I was disheartened by the mean spirited intent of some of them.

Theres no reason to vote any of the civs out other thna to ruffle some feathers. If you don't think the soiux or the americans should be in the game, don't use them. Most likely you'll be able to choose your opponents.

Some new millenium. First year of it and we're all arguing about what civ diesn't deserve the title for a computer game....

D4
Old August 1, 2001, 02:47   #134
TechWins
King

Quote:
Agreed Sabre2th. More than being slightly insulted by some of the posts I was disheartened by the mean spirited intent of some of them.
Most of the insulting posts came from Europeans and Canadians towards the US. I'm not saying all were from Europeans but most were.

Quote:
Theres no reason to vote any of the civs out other thna to ruffle some feathers. If you don't think the soiux or the americans should be in the game, don't use them. Most likely you'll be able to choose your opponents.
I'm not sure if I did the math right but it seems to me that 5 civs need to be taken out. So it seems to me that there is logic behind voting out a civ. I do agree, though, if you don't like a civ don't use them as your civ.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 1, 2001, 04:11   #135
Kenobi
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
which leaves me voting for...

Vikings. Nothing whatsoever justifies their existance: They lasted as a power for a few dozen years, and a minor one even then. No great leaders or scholars (Alcuin excepted) ever emerged from their midst. Their technical advances were mostly of a military nature, even their amazing work with accurate optics, and much of it was derivative of other cultures. In fact, they were very much "behind" neighbouring nations at the time. As a barbarian tribe, yes, but not as a civilization.
I find your vote interesting given your location, as York was a major Viking city.

I'm not going to die in a ditch defending the worth of the Viking civilization, but I think you've done them a disservice. The Vikings had a profound impact on Western and Eastern Europe for 4-5 centuries, more if you consider that the Scandinavian kingdoms (principally Sweden) emerged out of their culture. Sweden was a major European power at the time of the 30 Years' War, particularly under Gustav Adolf.

William the Conqueror was the grand-son (great-grandson?) of a Viking who took Normandy (Norman=Northman=Viking) off the French king. Likewise, the first identifiable Russian state was built around principalities built by Vikings (named Varyags/Varangians by the Russians) along the rivers that connected the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea.

They were the true merchant adventurers of their day, trading with the Arab lands as well as Constantinople. They were also great explorers, finding Newfoundland some centuries before Columbus hit the Caribbean.
Old August 1, 2001, 04:26   #136
D4everman
Prince

Quote:
Most of the insulting posts came from Europeans and Canadians towards the US. I'm not saying all were from Europeans but most were.
Canadians? What'd we ever do to them? Heck Cnada's so close I even have canadian in-laws!

As for the European flames I just don't understand where the hostility comes from. In an earlier post La Russo asked "Why are we (US military) in Europe. I could say something wise-ass like "We came to steal your women", (we did ...just kidding...sort of...) but today is the 49th anniversary ofEUCOM's birth....I'm a little too pumped up with esprit de corps right now.

D4
Old August 1, 2001, 04:42   #137
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 13:49
right on good god, i hope my posts did not come accross as 'flaming'....i certainly just wanted to have some light-hearted debate... after all, it is americans who are made all three installments of civ (now i could add that they also made CTP hehe)

d4everman, as i said, no offense, i am sure you do a great job, but if one can protest against exxon and shell co., i see no reason to question the activities of usarmy co. agreed?

as for my 'dumbass' observations - well in comparison with the rest of the us, nyc, sf and new orleans have an european flavour, in that they do not differ that much from what i am used to over here. not as in skyscrapers, more like cafes, restaurants, general *****y attitude of the people (NYC), but then again i am only a tourist in the us....
as you can see i am not in the mood for flaming this morning a nice girl walked into my office and well....how can i feel bitter
Old August 1, 2001, 05:28   #138
D4everman
Prince

Quote:
d4everman, as i said, no offense, i am sure you do a great job, but if one can protest against exxon and shell co., i see no reason to question the activities of usarmy co. agreed?
Agreed. Its not like I agree with everything in the US Army myself. Heck, a coworker (thats a former marine) said yesterday "You army guys are so anal about everything!"....and she was right, we are. We tend to take things serious all of the time. (Well, I don't which has at times gotten my butt chewed by the first sergeant)

and hey, I know you know I didn't call you a dumbass, and I don't think you are one.

As for the nice girl...heehee...you oughtta check out some of the babes in Stuttgart sometime

Or Costa Brava, Spain

Good thing my wife doesn't read this forum.

D4
Old August 1, 2001, 05:58   #139
Trdi
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:49
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

Most of the insulting posts came from Europeans and Canadians towards the US.
So let's just ban everyone who is not from US.

I should be 'punished' for flaming I am insulting forum members? Could please the insulted ones tell, they're insulted by me? Take a look at the poll question. It is clearly made AGAINST one civilisation. So if you vote for someone, you are a fasist or what? Oh, no, just if you vote for US. No, seriously. Look, what you, Americans, told us about some other nations. If they don't exist in their original size and territory, that still doesn't mean you haven't insulted someone by telling such stupid things.
This quoting of forum rules is a hypocracy. I can express my political opinion just like anyone other (I was not the first one doing that). If you can do that (Americans can express their political opinion everywhere), I can do that, too. I don't like some things, but I don't hate anyone and I didn't insult anybody. This is my style, if I don't like sth, I say it. That's why I had problems in school with some of the teachers. You all know the word democracy, don't you?
Old August 1, 2001, 06:01   #140
LaRusso
King

trdi, indeed we can tell whatever (whitout 'dumbas' calling) but actually in OT forum.
Old August 1, 2001, 06:14   #141
Trdi
Chieftain

Oh, come on!!!! Take a look again at the poll subject. I'm just defending my vote.
Old August 1, 2001, 06:49   #142
LaRusso
King

yes, but we defended it long enough. time to let the post get a bit quieter
Old August 1, 2001, 09:08   #143
Trdi
Chieftain

Oh, allright , qiuter! Joke. You are right.
Old August 1, 2001, 09:19   #144
D4everman
Prince

I know, I know, I should leave it alone, but I decided to give a dead horse one last swift kick....

Quote:
I am insulting forum members? Could please the insulted ones tell, they're insulted by me?
*****July 31st 2001:What???!!!! Who are you kidding? What's that? Are you serious, are you normal?! Have you ever heard about the word 'politics'? What about, let's say, SUDAN? Ah? You came and bombarded a country who didn't do anything to you. Even the responsible for that admitted, that Sudan is not an enemy of USA. Have you ever heard about African wars, Indonesia,.... Why do you act different here if you are SO good. Listen, I could write a book about that, so I propose : Don't, don't talk about the good intentions of American politics and war machine. Deep in your heart you know the truth, all of you Americans know the truth.

Khm, khm. Heard of word 'based'? You thriving economy and huge power is BASED on slavery, based on blood of people who were not guilty, mean or anything like that. They were black. Tell me only one more succesful country like that. When you were exploiting slaves, hiding with DEMOCRACY (???!!!!) other countries tried to do it different. *****

Don't go there unless you happen to be a black american. I am, and I don't need you to tell me about it.

*****Leave the president, let's talk about you. Have you ever heard of word 'global'. Than you know, what means the word GLOBAL???!!! No further comment.

Democracy? So you have heard this word? Strange, because... hmm, if only one country of all the other rejects sth, that's democracy? Nice. And if they reject the Children rigths agreement, that's democratic, isn't it? It is and it's soooo nice. You can be proud on yourself, you are facing the whole world. We are just so primitive, aren't we? We don't understand you, don't we? You, the brain of this planet. You know everything the best. If you say global warming is not caused by CO2, than it is so. You are soooo smart. I think the day will come soon, when you will pack your things and fly to the other planet. You will leave us, primitives on Earth, dying in the filth you are making now.

Democracy? So you have heard this word? Strange, because... hmm, if only one country of all the other rejects sth, that's democracy? Nice. And if they reject the Children rigths agreement, that's democratic, isn't it? It is and it's soooo nice. You can be proud on yourself, you are facing the whole world. We are just so primitive, aren't we? We don't understand you, don't we? You, the brain of this planet. You know everything the best. If you say global warming is not caused by CO2, than it is so. You are soooo smart. I think the day will come soon, when you will pack your things and fly to the other planet. You will leave us, primitives on Earth, dying in the filth you are making now.

You know nothing about Karantanija and very little about USA politics, so... Americans are very bad informed about things their government does or is planning to do. That can't be democracy, or it is some higher sort of democracy?

Well, I could tell you many things, which would be better without USA. About WWII, if there woudn't be WWII, USA wouldn't be half that strong than it is today. Last week I watched on TV, how Americans charged everything they could. The extremly high payments for using American monitor technology caused Churchill to order big research in other technologies, but the right technology was found many years later (LCD monitors).

Well, I think you just live there too long. I really can't understand, how so many Americans are brainwashed.*****

Now what was that about not being insulting? You don't like america or americans, fine. To be honest I don't actually care that much. But in the context of this poll, don't you think that maybe your hatred of the US is a little much? Tell me, what did *we* do to make you so angry? If I told you that maybe you were brainwashed by your government wouldn't you be a little po'd by that? Even a little?

And don't moan about WWII. A lot of people died, some from my family and its rather petty to bring up as if the USA wouldn't be an important part of the world if it didn't happen. Maybe you're right. But this isn't a parallel universe so I guess we may never know what might have occurred in the last sixty years without Hitler.

America may be the only superpower right now but I'll be first to admit we ain't perfect. But neither are you. Ever even been to the US? You seem well versed in picking out its faults real or imagined. Theres several words for that but the first one that comes to my brainwashed american mind is "mean."

D4
Old August 1, 2001, 09:46   #145
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by D4everman

Some new millenium. First year of it and we're all arguing about what civ diesn't deserve the title for a computer game....

D4
I agree...except the Aztecs must go! Even if there were unlimited room...their city names suck.
Old August 1, 2001, 09:46   #146
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
I agree that the poll was unnecessary. What U also think is unnecessary is some peoples' need to feel superior. If you have opinions about another country, great, but don't insult the people who live there.
Vote 'em off the island!!
Old August 1, 2001, 09:47   #147
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV

You're a dumbass, NYC is nothing like Europe. You walk into Brooklyn or the Bronx and try and find Europe. You walk down Queens Boulevard and tell me what's European about it. Name me one European city that even remotely resembles Manhattan? If you grew up in NYC and travel through Europe, like I have, you'd know there is no similarity. NYC is in its own category, there is no other city in the world like NYC and NYC is like no other city. The only thing European NYC has is the fascist Guiliani as mayor.

edit: spelling
At least the trains run on time...he HAS done some amazing things to reduce crime and make the city more fun...
Old August 1, 2001, 09:48   #148
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th

How are they scary to civ newbies?
They are very warlike...and they have those mean horns...and a few years ago there was the theory that they were the meanest opponent. (netlegend...)
Old August 1, 2001, 10:10   #149
Trdi
Chieftain

And I am the one who keeps going on?

Listen D4, I think you are a little too smart for me. You see things, which I don't. The insult. maybe I don't see the insult, because I didn't want to insult anyone. Have you ever thought about that? Again, there was sth which I don't like. You insulted ME, too than. My government washed my brain. The government for which USA are the only God that exists on this planet? With this statement you have just proved my words: US are the only democracy on the world, everything else is an anarchy, with no laws. You know, there was one black person attacked here few weeks ago by the skinheads. He is ok now (without a scratch), but there was an alarm made by the media, politicians talked about that and so on. There were some demonstrations, interviews, TV shows about racism.... only because of one case, which happened in maybe 10 years. I wrote that, because, maybe, you will change your opinion about the rest of the world and stop talking about brainwashing by our government. About brainwashing, remember Vietnam. I watched a brittish, I think, show about killing Vietnam civilians under a bridge. I know, this was being done many times by many armies in many wars. But... noone was sentenced for war crimes. Why? Can you blame me for not liking that? Noone is responsible for that today. In the 60s there was an american U2 spy aircraft shot down by the Russians. Your government was denying that (saying that's silly) untill the Russians showed the pilot on the TV. Noone was again responsible for that. In my country, the whole government would collapse for lies like that. But in US? Can you really blame me for not liking that? Do you like that? Now I've found out, what is really what I don't like about USA. Thanks for forcing me to think (I had to think about that, because I'm very liberal about everything, I'm not a hater or conservative): It's the AMERICAN NATIONAL SECURITY! I hate it. In the name of it, I'm sure that so many bad things were done to us, the humans, that this really can't be just tolerated. Do I really have to argue again and again, I really don't like it. With every post I write, I become more and more "ugly". I hate Americans and so on. Come on, don't be childish.
Old August 1, 2001, 10:15   #150
LaRusso
King

cmon people calm down.
let settle it:

- all armies are full of lunatics (read catch 22, watch dr. strangelove)
- ditto politics

i admit i was the one who said a couple of things but this really is threatening to get out of hand. cmon, stop it.....