Old July 26, 2001, 06:09   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 21:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Life in Australia
OK, here's the deal. I live in Australia. Much as I might like to change that, for now, I can't. Now, the problem is, I only got Alpha Centauri when it came free with my new computer, and I haven't seen it or Alien Crossfire in any store here.

This is a general appeal for help. Has anyone happened across information pertaining to whether or not Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire will be released in Australia, and if so, when? I'm completely addicted to this game and I need the expansion like Charlton Heston needs his hemp suit!
Old July 26, 2001, 08:05   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:50
I see no reason why it would not be in Australia. I mean, there are some left over copies at FINLAND, and that's a very much smaller market then the one of Australia!
Old July 26, 2001, 08:20   #3
ouch!
Chieftain

It was released in Aus a long time ago. So long ago that it is probably no longer produced. I think I bought the expansion about a year ago, and the game was old then. The only thing possibly still available is the "planetary pack" which includes the the original game and the expansion. It costs about $50 I think.

The only place you are likely to find the expansion alone is with a second hand copy or maybe in the "bargain bin" of some store. It will probably cost less than $20.
Old July 26, 2001, 08:47   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:50
I had the same trouble over here in Britain. I'd bought the original, but even immediately after the expansion came out I couldn't find copies. I eventually picked up the PP for about £10 - so I now have two copies of the original
Old July 26, 2001, 09:05   #5
Vale Lurk
Settler

Great minds think alike, Chowlett!
(And at almost exactly the same time!)

see the thread: Is the Alien Crossfire Expansion Worth Getting?
Old July 27, 2001, 03:43   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Thank you all for your help!

P.S. Kass, do you really think Finland is a smaller market than Australia? We only have 18 million people - the same as London or Moscow!
Old July 27, 2001, 04:45   #7
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 04:50
I think Finland is much smaller, like about 5 million. As well, SMAC is an English game that iirc was only translated into three or four other languages. Finnish was not one of them. So I would expect the Aussie market would be much, much larger.

Hunting the bargain bins is the best way to go. But if you are really desperate for SMACX, I'll bet you could order it from your local computer games store or over the net. But you will pay a lot more if you go that route.
Old July 29, 2001, 21:41   #8
MattyBoy
Prince

I live in Melbourne.
I faced your problem at the beginning of this year:
I had SMAC and wanted SMACX.

I contacted EA directly to seek help, but they didn't seem to want my money and were willing to suggest a couple of second hand sources, including Ebay.

I looked and asked in any shops I could find or think of for Alien Crossfire or Planetary Pack, but it had not been in shops for a long time. However, Planetary Pack had been popular and they felt it would soon return.

I got impatient and ordered Planetary Pack (for $20-30 US) on Ebay to coincide with a visit to New York. Ebay had no listings of SMACX on sites other than US and US site is not geared for sending to Australia.

It all went well. Ironically, the game was sent from Hawaii, which is halfway to Australia, so I waved thankyou to the sender as I flew back over his house the next week.

If I were you, I would order via ebay and discuss how to get it to Oz via email, before placing your bids. It is worth the effort, of course, as you can pop boom properly and play many random factions. Sven, Domai and Cha Dawn are all fascinating to play at least once or twice.

Come to think of it, if you have more time than money, you could probably get it for much less at a swap meet some day.

Otherwise I could just burn a copy of it for you and we could send a cheque to EA, but their staff probably wouldn't like that idea as they seem to have a policy that they no longer want to make money from SMAC products .

Good luck. If you live in Melbourne, I may be able to help you out, as I am visiting New York again next week.

Perhaps somebody here knows where to pick up the game in Manhattan?
Old July 30, 2001, 08:02   #9
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
P.S. Kass, do you really think Finland is a smaller market than Australia? We only have 18 million people - the same as London or Moscow!
I appreciate your ignorance Mr. President, but like RedFred (who seems to be quite aware of global things considering his Canadian ) said, Finland has 5,2 million people, less then a third of Australia's population.
Old July 30, 2001, 12:00   #10
Drago Sinio
Prince

Mattyboy, I have often seen Alien Crossfire available in the large local electronics stores, and I live about 30 miles west of Manhattan.

I am sure you would have no trouble finding a copy in Manhattan. "Comp USA" usually has one of the largest selection of games. They can be found at Broadway and 57th street, and also 5th Avenue and 37th street.

Maybe you should pick up several copies, and sell them in Australia.