Old July 26, 2001, 10:58   #1
22turbo
Settler

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Preventing Probes
I just recently started playing again after months of not playing so I forgot some of the strategies. I'm playing a game on Transcend difficulty and was winning it well into midgame until the Pirates started taking over my bases with probe teams. (IMHO way overpowered - they waltzed in and took a huge base with 3 wonders in it with a single probe team dropped on the coast all in one turn). Other than surrounding your base so they can't physically get to it is there a defense against this? I know about the H/S Alg that helps against probes but I got beat making it this game. Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.
Old July 26, 2001, 11:21   #2
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 11:50
Probes in your base defend against attacking probes. BTW, Hunter-Seeker doesn't just help against probes, it completely neutralizes them.
Old July 26, 2001, 11:24   #3
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Only in SMAC. In SMAC/X, if the probe team in question has the Algorythimic (however it's spelled, lol) enhancement, the HSA is pretty much useless. Just send in 3 or 4 probes with the enhancement, your base is toast. Just stick a defensive probe or two in there, that will help.
Old July 26, 2001, 11:27   #4
mrdynamic
Chieftain

Keep 2 of your own probes on alert in all of your bases to fend off enemy probes. 2 in each base also allows backup units for nearby bases under attack. Probes dont count against you for support minerals either. Then you can buy enemy unit also when your bases are under attack.
Old July 26, 2001, 11:55   #5
22turbo
Settler

Thanks guys... quick question about the defensive probes. Do they need to be sentried(L) or held(H) specifically or doesn't it matter? Thanks for the quick replies. I love this forum!
Old July 26, 2001, 12:12   #6
Rex Little
Prince

At least in SMAC, it doesn't matter; the probe just has to be in the base. If that changed in SMACX, someone else will have to tell you.
Old July 26, 2001, 12:35   #7
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Nope, it's the same in smacx as in smac. Doesn't make a bit of difference. Just setting it on alert wakes it up whenever ANYTHING gets close enough. Wish I could use one on needletjets.
Old July 26, 2001, 12:39   #8
mrdynamic
Chieftain

I always set it on alert 'cause sometimes the enemy probe will run out of moves right next to your base. Then your probe will attack automatically. It usually better to attack 1st to win.
Old July 26, 2001, 12:42   #9
Rex Little
Prince

If the enemy probe stops right next to your base, isn't it better to attack it with some other unit that's in the base (I assume you aren't defending it with just probes)? It's an automatic win, whereas you could lose a probe-vs.-probe battle.
Old July 26, 2001, 12:46   #10
mrdynamic
Chieftain

well, thats just to easy and obvious .....
Old July 26, 2001, 12:47   #11
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Rex, yep. Unless you have an infantry based probe in your base (if you have a regular military unit, that probe isn't doing much good being armored anyways), wipe it out.

If you have an infantry based probe in the base (only use armored infantry probes alone... if you lump it with a military unit, it's worthless as an armored unit...), use a rover or other such unit to take it out.

By the same token, if you use an interlocking defense (read Vel's postings on "creating synergy..." elsewhere around here), you should be able to get that probe before it even gets to one of your cities. If it pops up outta nowhere, chuck it out the door the hard way.
Old July 26, 2001, 16:21   #12
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:50
ha ha ha! my bases are immune! i'm the pirates and the AI doesn't use sea probes!

also whilst we're on the topic of probes, howcome the AI probes don't have the little coloured square on them like the rest of the units that tells you what faction they are. ever since i got smac v/4.0 i havn't seen square things on any probes other than my own. same with smax v/2.0.

and on a completely unrelated topic(well almost completely) in the scenario with santiago yang and miriam where you have to kill yang as santiago, the native life and probes are screwed up. as in the images are different. e.g. the locusts are just grey swirls.
Old July 26, 2001, 16:30   #13
EtheMind
Warlord

Local Time: 13:50
Try MP for some challenge. Pirates = easy victory in AI games. Not that it's your fault. AI is stupid anyway.

And don't worry about unflagged probes. That's how it's suppose to be, at least, according to Firaxis, and I agree. Probes usually don't wear flags indicating their ideological commitment while in covert operations.
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old July 26, 2001, 18:47   #14
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 04:50
Other probe basics:

For defensive probes, go to the design workshop and whip up a single movement probe to save some build time or cost.

If unaccompanied by a probe team, make sure that your attacking force is always stacked to prevent subversion.

Your HQ cannot be subverted. Something to think about when you start building wonders and don't yet have defensive probes.

AI probe teams tend to follow certain paths. Part of the battle is to figure out where they will most likely come from.

Sensor arrays and a conventional unit with a rover chassis or faster will round out your defense. No sense risking a probe to probe battle if you don't have to.

In SMACX, in theory the HSA doesn't provide complete protection by late game. In practice, in my experience the AI will not subvert you even if it does get the tech for algorithmic enhancement. No reason that the AI should get that far in the tech tree unless you are feeding them the tech anyhow.
Old July 27, 2001, 06:16   #15
EtheMind
Warlord

Quote:
For defensive probes, go to the design workshop and whip up a single movement probe to save some build time...
Considering the attack is the best defense I'm not sure how well would this work. When probing invading enemy units, or probes incase you don't have possibility to use conventional units those movement points come into use.

This could be a good deal in the very early game when even building a probe takes forever and you have little chance to make an offense with the probes having no established transportation system or elite units. I still don't see much application in AI game unless you are seriously dangered by Datajack, in MP game this could work well.
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old July 27, 2001, 14:04   #16
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by EtheMind
And don't worry about unflagged probes. That's how it's suppose to be, at least, according to Firaxis, and I agree. Probes usually don't wear flags indicating their ideological commitment while in covert operations.
If you right click on the sqaure and select info about square it will tell you who it belongs to.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 27, 2001, 15:59   #17
WhiteElephants
King

EtheMind -- You're right, the probe on the infantry chassis is simply used to save time, minerals, and energy. It allows for the exact same defensive characteristics minus the ability to move far, but on an offensive mission they suffer the set back of only moving one tile a turn. I tend to build them in coastal bases that I feel have a greater chance of being probed by an exploring probe foil. For the cost of one probe foil you can get two infantry chassis probes that should provide adaquete defense. They're alos nice to rush build in newly captured bases so that the enemy doesn't just probe the base and all your units out from under you.
Old July 27, 2001, 17:15   #18
EtheMind
Warlord

Quote:
If you right click on the sqaure and select info about square it will tell you who it belongs to
I know. Guess they aren't as smart as they think they are

Quote:
They're alos nice to rush build in newly captured bases so that the enemy doesn't just probe the base and all your units out from under you.
Well, that's a real application. Probe teams aren't that cheap, especially in the early game. Offensive probing against newly taken base is a serious threat even when playing against AI.
Old July 29, 2001, 22:07   #19
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 21:50
I gather that infantry probe teams become useful in conjunction with armor.

Take a look at Sikander and Ogie's comments in a thread called:
"Armored Probe Teams Revisited"

You can get their via:
http://apolyton.net/forums/search.ph...der=descending
Old July 30, 2001, 18:33   #20
EtheMind
Warlord

Having visited the preferred address I can admit that I never came to thought that armor and probes would make good friends. But now it looks like one of the most essential base defense techniques for any faction.