Old July 26, 2001, 16:37   #1
One More Turn!
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Silence breeds pessimism (subtle message for Firaxis)
Have been noticing as I cruise the forums over the last few weeks, that the longer we go without hearing some new information about Civ 3, the more pessimistic the posts get. You would think that Firaxis would keep feeding us crumbs to keep us salivating like Pavlov's dog over the game. Instead I think people are just getting discourage and tired of speculating about this feature or that. I know I am.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Come on Firaxis, throw us a bone - Finalize something!
pretty please?

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker
Old July 26, 2001, 16:51   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:50
i have given up all hope in firaxis as far as news-web updates.

but im still hoping for a good game.

maybe they are gagged.
Old July 26, 2001, 17:05   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:50
Well, they apparently have the time to organise a show-and-tell for Sidgolf, but nothing for Civ3. The last time I checked, Civ3 was going to make a lot more money for them than a golf sim.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 26, 2001, 17:17   #4
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

maybe since they just did a sim golf preview, they'll do a Civ3 update soon! oh wait this is firaxis, the company that hates its customers
Old July 26, 2001, 17:19   #5
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:50
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Well, they apparently have the time to organise a show-and-tell for Sidgolf, but nothing for Civ3.
last time i checked simgolf was coming out in a couple of months while civ3 didnt look like it will come this year....
Old July 26, 2001, 17:21   #6
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
last time i checked simgolf was coming out in a couple of months while civ3 didnt look like it will come this year....
You're a bad man, and I don't believe you. Civ3's coming out on October 17 like it was promised, the mountains will be fixed, the AI's going to crush me consistently and there's going to be 16 playable civs at a time.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 26, 2001, 17:42   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

As long as civ III is out by feb 2002, I will be happy
As long as it is out by dec 2002 Firaxis will be happy

As long as Firaxis can polish the game... just let them work instead of releasing details
Hopefully due to extra weeks of polishing and no PR, they can make civ better than ever!
Old July 26, 2001, 17:55   #8
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:50
i agree with DarkCloud. I don't even tend much to the Civ3 site until i have a copy on it in my hands.
I like to think that maybe today they just fixed that awful bug that would crash the game if condition xxx happened... Like the old Finnish saying goes, "Hiljaa hyvä tulee", which means that the more time is spent the better the result is.*

*Doesn't apply with Daikatana
Old July 26, 2001, 18:02   #9
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

There is no way I'm joining Yin's club.
The less new info we get from Firaxis makes more and more people, as UberKruX want to join OfAPeCiClu.
I however will not join that club, not unless Civ 3 is canceled at least .

How long do you think Sid and Will has been working at Sid's Golf?
As it is a game that none expected they didn't need to announce it until they were in the end of the game making. Civ 3 however was a game expected and wanted by a lot of people, and to avid the repitation of the Civ series to drop Sid had to announce the game when it still just was "some notes in his notebook". After a long time of developing they are at a stage of the game that they are willing to show us, but it doesn't mean they are ready yet. They still have to finish the game, and the more time they get the better the game will be (I hope). Be patient everyone Civ 3 will come, and it will be good.

Anithing in the last line might change without warning (I don’t want to be stoned for promising to mush)
Old July 26, 2001, 18:16   #10
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:50
I'll get lynched for this, put I just had a premonition that Civ3's gonna be the biggest flop of computer games in the 21st century.
Old July 26, 2001, 18:49   #11
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i wanna join yin's club
Old July 26, 2001, 21:36   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

H Tower: Welcome to the club! If we get enough members, we'll start holding our OWN press releases. I think lots of people are members in spirit, but hopefully you have just inspired them to step up and join!

Quote:
Well, they apparently have the time to organise a show-and-tell for Sidgolf, but nothing for Civ3. The last time I checked, Civ3 was going to make a lot more money for them than a golf sim.
So, does that mean you'd like to join, too?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 26, 2001, 22:03   #13
MORON
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
sigh

damn firaxis
Old July 26, 2001, 22:03   #14
Rommel393
Warlord

Local Time: 05:50
I can guartantee you that civ3 will definitely not flop for sure. The fact is they have so many lovers of civ2 that many are going to buy civ3 right away. I'll probly preorder it. And I'm sure many others . Even the person who said itll flop (to lazy to look for name) will probly buy it. What does that show?
Old July 27, 2001, 01:42   #15
tniem
King

yin, I want in.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:49   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Great! I'll update the member's list. Damn glad to have ya, and I agree with what you said in the other thread about the Mission Statement.

Old July 27, 2001, 01:52   #17
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
well yin while i have been waiting forever for this game to come out like everyone i am not pessimistic. Ok so i kind of am but that is what all the beer is for It makes even the worst situation seem like a walk in the park. And if that doesn't work i watch Top Gun and pretend Mavrick is from my country......ok so i lie but i do watch Top Gun when i am mad! lol So kick back grab a beer and watch top gun and before you know it civ 3 will be out
Old July 27, 2001, 01:56   #18
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Yes, but you forget I was dropped on my head (possibly several times) as a child. Just look at my avatar. That's a childhood photo....

Old July 27, 2001, 02:03   #19
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
what the hell! lol yin i'll join. i need to get of the booze anyways lol. so i guess i am a pessimest now too. BUT DON'T THINK I AM LEAVING MY TOP GUN! lol that is just too much to ask:banned: lol.
Old July 27, 2001, 02:06   #20
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Cool! But don't go spreading too much good-druken cheer, now. It will throw us off track!

Old July 27, 2001, 09:08   #21
One More Turn!
Chieftain

Well,

I guess I ought to officially join Yin's club as well - my spirit has been there for a while. Room for one more?

My only question is... do I have to be pessimistic all of the time or is it ok to get excited and positive for a time when we do get some new information on the game? I am not sure that I can be completely grouchy about something that is supposed to entertain me.

Old July 27, 2001, 09:22   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Great! I'll add you right away. And of course we should all be happy about the good stuff! In fact, to ignore the good stuff would run counter to our club's vision, which is to HELP Civ 3's development. So when we see good stuff, we should offer genuine praise and positive feedback.

Old July 27, 2001, 09:30   #23
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

i predict that after a few days the differences between the two clubs will be like the differences of the democrats and the republicans.
Old July 27, 2001, 09:34   #24
One More Turn!
Chieftain

Great Yin!

I will have a glass of soju to celebrate! (after work that is)

Old July 27, 2001, 09:35   #25
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Markos, you didn't change your avator yet
while I made such a beautifull one for you !

Quote:
i predict that after a few days the differences between the two clubs will be like the differences of the democrats and the republicans
I hope so ! I truly do !
But I'm not positive that yin will admit his faults and convert his club into something that 's very alike to the realistic club

But indeed, if yin would drop his blatant pessimistic attitude and start to base his criticism on facts..... yes, then I'm positive about a merge, and I'll be very happy to offer him the vice-president position !
Old July 27, 2001, 09:36   #26
Colon™
Emperor

Hey Markos, can't I be President of the Official Apolyton Non-Aligned Civers Club? We can be like Nader and the greens in US, a fringe group with an aversion of the mainstream consisting of Yin's and Cyber's clubs.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old July 27, 2001, 09:37   #27
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! While you wait for 'facts,' I'll use some common sense! Ah, this could be fun, you know.

Old July 27, 2001, 09:37   #28
One More Turn!
Chieftain

The question then becomes will we all gravitate towards a happy median of realistic pessimism, or will it be pessimistic realism?

Old July 27, 2001, 09:38   #29
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Can I remember you that realism is already 'mainstream'.

The only club I can imagine someone wants to start would be the 'blind optimistic civers club.'
Old July 27, 2001, 09:42   #30
Colon™
Emperor

"The only club I can imagine someone wants to start would be the 'blind optimistic civers club.'"

I believe RAH is campaigning for that already.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.