Old July 26, 2001, 22:48   #1
Phutnote
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Looks GREAT! Less filling! And other heresies . . .
Man this forum has been rough on the artists at Firaxis.

All the 'ugly ass terrain' comments, worst looking game . . . ever (bring in the Simpson's comic book store owner) and all. But I'm not so sure insults are going to get the kind of response the critics are looking for.

Personally, I think the game is looking great.

Heretical to say, I realize, but I like the games' look. It's lush, rich and not as cartoony as CTP. A lot of people hearing this are going to want to get out some rope and find a tree for me.

Sure, there are some issues still to be worked out (city names hard to read so far, resources appear variously over and under roads in the screenshots, for example), but on the whole I like it; it is a work in progress after all. The industrial age cities may be a little dark, but that's not a big deal. WIth the tiled terrain system they're working with, and it's limited nature (no hills with trees, half-height hills, half-mountains, etc), it's going to be hard to create totally realistic terrain. Stylization is going to be necessary.

I think the units are look fabulous, and the animations are stunning. The barbarian dude is expesically cool.
It must be remembered that there are constraints that the Civ team is working under.
The text at the back of the Civ II manual said they had attempted to bring tactical/battle combat into Civ II but found it interrupted the flow of the game. I'd guess the Civ team has probably brought in and tried numerous suggestions made on this board but found they didn't gel in the end. CTP brought in a bunch of innovations, some of which I liked, but that game just didn't come together the way Civ I and II did.

I think a little more civility might be shown on this forum to the team that is working on Civ III. Constructive criticism is often helpful, but just dumping on the Civ team, threatening to hold your breath, or not to buy the game, or some such is just not going to do anybody any good. The game should be a fun experience, not an acrimonious one of mud slinging and bitterness.

The early reviews of the game had me a little worried. They seemed to imply the game was not much of an evolution over Civ II, but I wonder: the resource system alone should be a major addition to the game. Radical changes may wind up making a game that is too complicated for AI to handle. The AI in CTP sure couldn't handle the army stacking stuff (often hitting my 9 unit stacks with 3 or 4 unit stacks and getting clobbered). Having armies more like mobile fortresses might make it possible for the AI to handle it as well as a human. This is probably why combat has been kept fairly simple.

I'm hoping many of the new features make it into the game: the AA guns look cool, as do the civ specific units, and I'm encouraged to hear about the expanded diplomacy and culture. For the rest of it, Firaxis has been playing it all pretty close to their chest. No word if leaders are in or out, no details how this lessened/improved blocking ability by units works. Perhaps everything is up in the air or development has hit an impasse. Development isn't always smooth. They might be holding off revealing information until they balance things and finalize the content.

In an effort to provide some info, any info, here are tidbits I've picked up:

I'm certain Japan is in the game (samurai and leader pic).

America has a chariot in one of the screen shots so it probably isn't the Egyptian special unit (no idea what would be then).

Coastal waters are a lighter colour which will help avoid the accidental and fatal move to deep sea of triremes.

Some units now have 0 ratings for defense instead of the default 1 (scout, settlers, diplomats?).

I never got Alpha Centauri but understand they had a kind of global council. Sounds like a neat equivalent of the UN; hope they bring this into the game somehow.

Others have speculated that the majority of special units will be from earlier rather than later. I think they're probably right but China might get a cheap infantry unit or something along that line.

Unit strengths seem to have been increased a bit (knight attack value now 5). Perhaps the modern units will have higher values than before (if the dragoons are in they must have an attack value higher than 5).

Don't think any of the screenshots so far have shown a leader or an army, which I find curious. Shots include industrial age cities with older age units (placeholders till the newer units done perhaps?). I am curious to know just how far along they are in development.

Elephants are in (they're in one screen shot, really fuzzy).

The Great Wall of China and wonders of that sort will be on the map (if I remember correctly).

Nothing wrong with speculating. No need to be slavishly devoted to Firaxis, but no need to be nasty either.

There are 3 tanks in the game and 1 mech inf unit (early tank, abrams tank, panzer). The one thing that confuses me a little here is the American and Russian special unit: the F-15 and the MiG. If the Americans get the F-15, the other civs would get a generic jet fighter of some kind. But French, British, and German fighters are generally BETTER than Russian MiGs. Would the Russians get a less effective special unit? Perhaps the MiG will be really cheap to build.

No sign yet of stealth fighters or bombers. If they're in, I wonder if they'll make the F-15 obsolete or if the F-15 will be comparable to a generic stealth plane.

They may also be holding on to info so they can get magazine covers and articles closer to the release date. But cripes I'm getting curious with so little new info leaking out!

Keeping me fingers crossed,

Phutnote

Old July 26, 2001, 23:09   #2
Rommel393
Warlord

Local Time: 05:51
Although im supposed to be pessimistic I agree with you on this one. Although we should criticize we shouldn't get nasty or mean to firaxis unless they do the same to us. Why would they want to make a better game for us if we piss em off? The graphics look good but still need some work.
Old July 26, 2001, 23:18   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:51
I agree. But the graphics as released were worthy of some serious doubts. Perhaps we would all be pacified with some, say, RECENT shots?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 26, 2001, 23:27   #4
Rommel393
Warlord

LOL Yeah right Yin. Firaxis would need a customer service department (i.e. a working website) to do that.
Old July 27, 2001, 00:59   #5
connorkimbro
Emperor

I mostly agree with you. I don't think the colors are that bad at all. Obviously the roads and rivers need fixed, but i don't think for a second that they were intended to look like that in the finished product. . .

-theonion.com
Old July 27, 2001, 01:05   #6
Phutnote
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:51
I hear ya, man.

This lack of new information, any information, is frustrating.

Civ's a fantastic game, and I'm as eager to see the sequel as anyone.

I suspect that, if they are on track to meet their release date of October, that we'll be
seeing alot more information in September at latest. Heck, it's almost August. Only about 3 months till the game's scheduled to go gold.

Phutnote
Old July 27, 2001, 01:06   #7
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 03:51
Phutnote sed (among other wonderful and insightful points):
Quote:
They may also be holding on to info so they can get magazine covers and articles closer to the release date. But cripes I'm getting curious with so little new info leaking out!
That is my main complaint at this point. Although I am reasonably sure that Firaxis is enthusiastic about the project that is Civ3, they sure ain't getting the point across to the fans. In other threads I have gone on about another company (coincidentally working on another empire-building, Infogrames produced game) that seems to be OOZING with enthusiasm for their project: Giving out interesting tid-bits about the game without giving up any secrects as well as chatting and discussing the game with the fans.

Now I don't expect Firaxis to follow step-for-step with this other company, but geez, guys, throw us a bone! Times have changed since 1995, there is a large and hungry on-line community (I ain't just talking about Apolyton) that appreciates,...wait, expects interaction.

Based on the lack of information, I am expecting one of these scenarios at this point :

1) Civ3 is going to break every mold of the genre, knocking our socks off and making us wonder how gaming could have been so primitive in the past. Thus their erratic and enigmatic information distribution is in place to closely guard the secrects of this most ambitious project... *I think only Mr Roarke and Tatoo can make this one happen.*

2) The game is not that much of a deviation from Civ2 (Re: gameplay and mechanics... of course, colonies will be a nice change). Thus the answers to the questions we ask will confirm the darkest fears Yin's anti-Civ 2.5 set

3) Things are going so poorly, they don't know what way is up... everything (Re: gameplay and mechanics) is still up in the air. So, no use making comments when there is so much work to be done and little is set in stone... I serously doubt this one, but stranger things have happened...

4)Perhaps the most probable. They are hoping that the title "Sid Meier's Civilization III" will attract enough sales from the fan-boys (and girls), of course combined with the inevetable glowing reviews from the big sites and mags that will dare not commit heresy will be more than enough to drive the sales of the game to an acceptable level. Therefore, a competent and open flow of information is unnecessary.

5) Perhaps the most disturbing. They just don't care how the hell we feel... the game is marketed to the casual gamer and the lowest common denominator is the mark the team is working for.

Damn. Didn't mean to ramble... You made some excellent points Phutnote and I, too, am keeping my fingers crossed...You never know, the release of Civ3 may be accompanied by the raspy-voiced cry, "Hey, Boss! De Plane! De Plane!"
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old July 27, 2001, 01:07   #8
connorkimbro
Emperor

i seriously doubt the game will be ready by august. maybe by christmas though . .

Hey, developers, tell whoever's rushing you to cool their jets. . WE buy the game, and we don't want it until it's ready!

-theonion.com
Old July 27, 2001, 01:29   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Warm Beer: Great post. Nicely said.

Connorkimbro: Amen! (but, oh, the Mighty Dollar!)

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 27, 2001, 19:37   #10
meriadoc
Warlord

I agree. I may be sitting here practically oozing impatience at waiting for Civ3 to come out, but if it comes to releasing it soon but unfinished or late and finished, I'll take late thank you. I'd much rather get the perfect game than the broken one.

As for the graphics, yes they aren't the most vibrant graphics that I've ever seen. But then again they're only screen shots, who knows if the real graphics will look better or not. And even if they don't, these graphics look a lot better than any I've seen before, in Civ2 or in CTP.

So, stop complaining and just wait.
Remember that good things come to those who are patient.