Poll about optimism, realism and pessimism
Options seem to be clear I guess
Old July 27, 2001, 10:36   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
While I applaud your enthusiasm, moderation is the key. We are realists when it comes to Civ 3, so we need to adhere to the middle of the road approach.
Old July 27, 2001, 12:10   #3
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
I went with Realism, but perhaps I should have gone with Pessimism. I look at the worst case scenario and decide "You know, the worst case scenario isn't that bad after all." For example, the worst case scenario with Civ III is that it turns out to be the worst game ever made. "Well, then, I guess I won't buy it." IMO, if the worst-case scenario isn't worth getting worked up over, then you're not really a pessimist. :banned:
Old July 27, 2001, 12:37   #4
Sabre2th
King

Realism. Things are how they are. It's not always possible or desirable to try to change them.
Old July 27, 2001, 12:48   #5
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Local Time: 06:51

Why isn't there a Other selection? I feel that all this about Optimism, Realism and Pessimism is totally childish. This is a Civ3 suggestion/discussion area. That means people post ideas and refine them when Civ3 is in production, and discuss strategy, game stories, etc when it is released. What I want more than Civ3 is this pointless Civ3 political party fun to move to the OT area.

I am a Purist. Keep Apolyton's Civ3 suggestion boards free of this nonsense. Not having any new information is no excuse! The time spent on these forums with people arguing over pointless things could be used for more useful brain stroming and refinement of ideas.

You all might think its good and fun, but please, take it someplace else.

Old July 27, 2001, 12:53   #6
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 05:51
You're an optimist if you think we pessimists are going to give you realistic results.
Old July 27, 2001, 12:56   #7
Sabre2th
King

Lighten up, Serve. We realists are just trying to balance Yin's overwhelming pessimism and keep things from getting out of hand. Not to mention facilitating the flow of information. (Assuming the flow ever starts)
Old July 27, 2001, 13:09   #8
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

I'm trying to.. but its getting way out of hand. Now we have special clubs people are joining, polls like this are coming up....

This reminds me of a story.....

Does anyone know were I got my nickname? Well I'll tell you, its a title of (my favorite) Twilight Zone episode. But there is another good one (its pretty famous actually) named, "The Monsters are due out on Maple Street". Have you seen it? If you haven't i'll explain. Basically Maple Street is a normal suburban street. But after a 'meteroite' lands, strange things begin to happen. Everything turns off (cars, lights, phones). One man says he will go to the neigborhood around the corner and see if its happening to them. A teenager talks about how monsters come and do this same thing in comic books hes read. While the other guy is gone, a mob forms. People start accusing others of being monsters. One persons lights will come, then off, then it keeps going back in forth. They go hysterical, everyone is accusing everyone else, throwing rocks, shooting guns. Then they all stop and look down the darkend street. They see a fiqure walking toward them. The man with the gun panics from other peoples presure and fires. The fiqure falls to the ground. When they allrun to see what/who it is, they find the man who left for the other street earlier.

This is what I see happening here withput and direct news from Firaxis. We're getting off course and wasting our time with this little stuff. I'm not saying you cant do it, just do it someplace else. If you really want to keep things from getting out of hand is by ignoring the Civ3 political parties and let them die. We don't need Firaxis to think clearly.
Old July 27, 2001, 13:19   #9
senowen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by To_Serve_Man

We're getting off course and wasting our time with this little stuff. I'm not saying you cant do it, just do it someplace else. If you really want to keep things from getting out of hand is by ignoring the Civ3 political parties and let them die. We don't need Firaxis to think clearly.
The thing is, by doing it here we have actually induced (well at least been promised) a response by Firaxis. Read the "Firaxis Will Speak" thread. Because things were getting out of hand Firaxis was forced to communicate. Thats really all any of us have been asking for, a little bit of information and acknowledgement.
Old July 27, 2001, 13:19   #10
Sabre2th
King

I'm not going to argue with you, but by opposing the pessimist/optimist/realist stuff, you could bring about a new group that exists simply to oppose the other groups and add to the chaos you claim we're creating.
Old July 27, 2001, 13:29   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Oh... Chaos group.... scary .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 27, 2001, 13:29   #12
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:51
Quote:
Originally posted by senowen
The thing is, by doing it here we have actually induced (well at least been promised) a response by Firaxis. Read the "Firaxis Will Speak" thread. Because things were getting out of hand Firaxis was forced to communicate. Thats really all any of us have been asking for, a little bit of information and acknowledgement.
actually, i dont think there is any relation. sorry to ruin your argument
Old July 27, 2001, 13:36   #13
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:51
and To_Serve_Man has a point. we are filling the forum with this optimism/pessimism stuff. it can be fun, but let's not over-do it