Old July 27, 2001, 14:16   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I Hate Dimensional Gates
I hate those damn things. Here I am trying to grab some cash or other goodies and the next thing I know I'm in the middle of Spartan or Hive territory. Or worse yet, on an island on the other side of the planet. Then I spend the next 30 to 40 years getting back to home base. Anyone else hate these things? The tidal waves aren't as bad for ships, but that damn diminsional gate sux.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 27, 2001, 14:30   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

I personally dislike any randomness in strategy games, so dgates aren't my cup of tea. Still, they can be helpful for finding additional pods or comlinks. Besides, it's only one scout unit, nothing really game changing.

As you pointed out though, they are pretty frustrating at times.
Old July 30, 2001, 05:40   #3
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 11:52
D- Gates....aaarrrgh.

Sometimes they ain't too bad. But most times its just like you said. My unit ends up on the other side of Planet. Usually on someone elses turf. And usually they get pissed about it but I can't get the guy back. I once had to self destruct a scout patrol because he couldn't physically be moved from Gaian territory after a D-gate accident and the option to "return to the nearest base" didn't come up.

I lost a battle ogre once too. It popped up on another land mass and was ambushed by mind worms.

I started a fiction story about dimensional gates, but never finished it working on it....maybe this coming weekend I'll get my act together...you can find the first part of it on the fiction forums at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8507

I'm not much of a writer, but hey its on topic...

D4
Old July 30, 2001, 06:46   #4
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by D4everman
I started a fiction story about dimensional gates, but never finished it working on it....maybe this coming weekend I'll get my act together...you can find the first part of it on the fiction forums at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8507

I'm not much of a writer, but hey its on topic...

D4

Hey, I remember reading it. I thought it was a very good start. I actually thought about reading that the other day when my unity rover ended up next to fungal field on the other side of my territory. I hope that you get some time and decide to add to what you started.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 30, 2001, 09:53   #5
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I am occasionally frustrated by them but am usually delighted to Go Where No Man Has Gone Before -- especially early in the game when exploration is difficult. It opens up larger parts of the map and can help me find the Wreckage before anyone else Chances are, it's a cheapo scout (as SMACed said) or a freebie worm or rover -- easy come, easy go. After too many instances of having an ogre teleported into enemy territory or being nailed by 5 worms, I usually don't use them for pod-popping.

The real annoyance is if you've reached FM and a unit exploring pods within your own territory gets zapped away, causing riots in home base. Self-destruct, beeeeg bummer. Otherwise, I just wander around pod-popping in the new place with the hopes of getting some more $$$ or rounding up some reinforcements.