Old July 27, 2001, 17:24   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 07:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
what i think happened - a story for optimists, pessimists, and realists
A not so Greek tragedy

Sid: we've got it - a deal with Microprose - we'll do Civ 3, it will be a great money maker!!!

Brian: Er, umh, who's gonna design it?

SId: You will, Brian. You did great things with SMAC, you understand this game, you can make it something new and yet keep it civish, like when we made civ 2. and of course that will let me work on something else, which is what i want to do. Im thinking a dinosaur game - wouldnt that be cool??

Brian - im sure you'll enjoy it Sid - you always like working on new things. Er. uhm, we ALL do. So, I take it that this will be released as Brian Reynolds' Civ3? Or just plain Civ3?

Sid: No, it will be Sid Meiers' Civ 3.

Brian: Look, I want to do something different too, Im tired of TBS 4x. If im going to do this its a concession, I at least want full recognition.

Sid: you're not looking at the big picture Brian. My name on the box is a money maker - and thats the goal here - take this franchise, make a good game to be sure, but mainly bring in the bucks that will let us do all the new and creative things we want to do.

Brian: right so you make dinos, than then something else while i make SM's civ3, civ3.5, civ 4 ..... Im outta here.

Chorus: Oh no, now who makes Civ3?

Sid: Jeff here is a good designer

Chorus:But we need someone immersed in the spirit of Civ. someone who can insure the continuity of the franchise.

Sid: Very well, Jeff will design, but I will play a big part.

Time passes (apologies to classical unities)

Jeff: Here is the painting by Breughel, I like it, but wanted your input.

Sid: Im trying to decide if the dinos should have cities!!! you want me to look at this stupid painting!!!

Chorus: Sid, Sid, your attention is needed on Civ3 , you must make a choice.

Sid: ah, farewell lovely dinos - farewell t rex, perhaps someday to you i will return.

Chorus: and so civ3 approached completion. But sid was getting bored.

SId: im so bored.

Meanwhile in Maxis land

Will: To stick to your dream, and still get rich, that truely is triumph. They laughed at me, tehy laughed at simant and simearth and simisle - silly enviro politically correct games they said - the money is in shooters they said - quake and doom and blood and guts and Diablo. Well who's laughing now? Look at the best seller lately? The Sims - and one expansion pack, and a second expansion pack - and simcity3000 plus an x pack, and soon simville, and the sims online. and simcoaster. Im getting spread thin. I want to sim EVERYTHING, but I need some help.

phone rings;

Will: hi sid, how ya doing? Bored, huh too bad. Hows civ3 going - what running on without you now? Well ive got a little idea - yeah sid, you play golf, dont you ? ..........

LOTM
Old July 27, 2001, 19:03   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 06:52
extremely possible, possibly even true. with your point of view, we don't even need sid, but i'm not willing to go that far.
Old July 27, 2001, 23:25   #3
One More Turn!
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:52
sniff, sniff
Stop or I am going to cry
It is just so sad!
Will someone get me a tissue?

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker
Old July 27, 2001, 23:30   #4
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:52
Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
This is true! This is DAMN true! I had the same thoughts myself and that was the main reason for me becoming a pessimist. Sid seems to be frontin. Just using his name to make the big bucks. Now i can't argue with that but it makes me very pessimistic