Old August 6, 2001, 06:09   #31
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Cal
Does sinking a RCN corvette also count as sinking a regular corvette?
Yes. The spreadsheet entry reads covrette (both types) meaning normal and RCN corvettes.

In addition to my earlier post asking for peoples scores, I'm also interested in sugestions for improvements to the scenario - I'm pretty sure that I'll put out a version 2.0 at some stage
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 6, 2001, 15:31   #32
Cal
Prince

Local Time: 11:52
Here's two more things I noticed:

1. In the events war is triggered between the Germans and the Americans on the Jan. 1942 turn, not the Dec. 1941 turn.

2. Patrol boats and Type II u-boats get lost away from shore... why?

While playing on Prince, I can usually score at least one or two thousand, but on the harder difficulties, it's difficult to get beyond a hundred or so.
Old August 6, 2001, 23:00   #33
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
Yup, I had the city (Konigsberg?) putting out a Bismark each turn when those 5 or 6 mines just appeared out of nowhere. Oh, I guess they came from the waters in Russian territory withdrawn to the nearest German city when the alliance was canceled. But since we cant move them out of the city to protect German waters what use are they other than disbanding them?

Case, do I literally enter the numbers of ships sunk on the spreadsheet next to the categories of ships and the score automatically tabulates at the bottom? I better read the readme section on that feature, lol.
Old August 7, 2001, 00:46   #34
Cal
Prince

Final Score after one complete game at King level:
2136, German Victory.

I earned the most points from sinking light cruisers, I sunk 124 of them, earning me 3720 points; the highest point contributor in the game. The second highest was the frieghters I had sunk, 196 of them, which earned me 1960 points.

My losses:
I lost 109 Type VII's and 124 IX's; the point value for losing that many is so high it isn't a number, but a figure that reads "*****" for both of them.

I'll have to try it on deity next.

Oh, and it is possible to get Elektro boats before the war ends, but only if you research nothing but techs to get you elektro boats, I had quite a few floating around when the game ended.
Old August 7, 2001, 16:37   #35
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
Case, do I literally enter the numbers of ships sunk on the spreadsheet next to the categories of ships and the score automatically tabulates at the bottom?
Enter the number of each type of ships killed in the corrresponding field in the 'number killed' column. This will then adjust the final score which is automatically calculated at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

For example, in the following picture, the Germans have lost 11 Type VII's and 8 Type IX's and no Allied ships have been sunk by anyone. This results in a score of -690, which means that the Germans are clearly losing.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	score.gif
Views:	229
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1644  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old August 8, 2001, 00:03   #36
Berzerker
Emperor

Sorry, but how do I open the worksheet? What program/software do I need?
Old August 8, 2001, 03:49   #37
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
As it says in the readme, the spreadsheet is in MS Works format. I also have an Excel version which I'm going to include with version 2.0

Last edited by Case; August 8, 2001 at 03:56.
Old August 9, 2001, 16:52   #38
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Cal
Here's two more things I noticed:

1. In the events war is triggered between the Germans and the Americans on the Jan. 1942 turn, not the Dec. 1941 turn.

2. Patrol boats and Type II u-boats get lost away from shore... why?
Are you sure? I am not questioning your judgement or anything, but in my copy war is declared in Dec. at the end of the U.S. turn. Also, I can take any boat out into the ocean.
Old August 9, 2001, 16:59   #39
Jimmywax
Prince

First of all Case I have to say that you are a bastard. Just as I was getting my life back, you had to send me 'Cruel Sea'. I started playing it yesterday after work at four and I had to make myself quit at about three in the morning beacause I had to be to work by eight. I got about three hours of total sleep. It is a good thing taday was a short day or I would be forced to firebomb your ass.

BTW, I love it! it is completely original and a refreshing change of pace and tactics.

P.S. My girlfriend hates your guts for making me into a civ zombie again.
Old August 9, 2001, 17:55   #40
Cal
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax

Are you sure? I am not questioning your judgement or anything, but in my copy war is declared in Dec. at the end of the U.S. turn. Also, I can take any boat out into the ocean.
...Huh? Is this just me?

In my events, war is declared on the Soviets at the right time, in June, which is turn 12.
So, the Dec. 1941 turn should be turn 18, but the events have the declare war w/america event to occur on turn 19.

And, I checked the rules: e-boats, patrol boats, and type II's have the trireme flag set.
Old August 9, 2001, 18:09   #41
The ANZAC
King

In my copy it works fine. Have you checked the Events.txt? Also if anyone noticed, the Germans only have a peace treaty with the Americans, so you could declare war on them whenever you want.
Old August 9, 2001, 19:42   #42
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax
First of all Case I have to say that you are a bastard... It is a good thing taday was a short day or I would be forced to firebomb your ass ... My girlfriend hates your guts for making me into a civ zombie again.

(do give your girlfriend my apologies though )

The Type II was a small coastal submarine, completly unsuited for open ocean patrols. They were used as training subs, and patroled the Baltic and North Sea on occasion.
Patrol-boats and E-boats were also mainly used in coastal waters due to thier small size.

As for the events, there are a few problems with the dates of some events. I'll definetly cheek the Pearl Harbour one.
Old August 9, 2001, 21:53   #43
Boco
King

*****?
Quote:
My losses:
I lost 109 Type VII's and 124 IX's; the point value for losing that many is so high it isn't a number, but a figure that reads "*****" for both of them.
...Cal

Are you using my XLS file imported into Quattro? Simplistic idea -- is the column width is too narrow for such a large figure? If you've been trying to reach me, my Operamail address has been down for a week!

Cal, looks like you've found a tactic that turns the game into a rout.

Quote:
...Berzerker

Case's original spreadsheet is a MS Works file. Cal can't open it in Quattro Pro, and I can't open it in Excel 2000. I've written an Excel 2000 version that I can send to you if you want it.
Old August 9, 2001, 22:27   #44
Berzerker
Emperor

Okay, thanks! You can send it to:

berzerker3@excite.com or
berzerkr@dophnic.yi.org or
icq 38356654
I think the second address might be the best for sending a file
Thanks again
Old August 9, 2001, 23:24   #45
Case
Emperor

Re: *****?
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
If you've been trying to reach me, my Operamail address has been down for a week!
I guess that means you didn't recive the email I sent you on Monday.
Old August 13, 2001, 13:35   #46
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Case, if you're still planning on revising Cruel Sea, you'll need a Short Sunderland, the main British long range antisubmarine flying boat. BTW, these were also used by the Australians.
Attached Images:

Old August 13, 2001, 13:35   #47
techumseh
Emperor

Why this thing double posts all the time is a mystery to me!
Old August 13, 2001, 19:13   #48
Case
Emperor

Techumseh thats fantastic, thanks a lot! I'll definetly include it in the upgrade

By the way, is there any chance that you could do a PBY Catalina for me?

Last edited by Case; August 13, 2001 at 22:31.
Old August 13, 2001, 22:40   #49
Boco
King

Short Sunderland
Quote:
Case, if you're still planning on revising Cruel Sea, you'll need a Short Sunderland, the main British long range antisubmarine flying boat. BTW, these were also used by the Australians.
...techumseh

Good idea! They were a workhorse for the RAF Coastal Command.

Trivia time

The RAAF was the first to fly the version with quad .303's in the nose, used effectively against enemy gunners on Flak UBoats (Jan, '44). The first RAF squadrons started flying them around Jan 1940. It equipped over 28 RAF squadrons by the end of the war. Dubbed Stachelschwein by the Luftwaffe, which learned that a Sunderland flying at wavetop level was no easy target.
Old August 14, 2001, 02:14   #50
Case
Emperor

Fighting trivia with more trivia
It also seems like Sunderlands were the most comfortable way to patrol the Atlantic. To quote U-Boat.net: "The lower deck also had a wardroom, a galley with two primus stoves and an oven, two bunks for off-duty crewmembers, a flush lavatory, a wash basin, and a shaving mirror. Crews would often collect their own set of dishes and cooking utensils, add curtains to the small wardroom, and install luxuries like a portable radio"

According to raafmuseum.com.au, 10 squadron of the RAAF set the coastal comand record for most hours flown in a month, and 461 squadron of the RAAF introduced the first galley mounted machine guns on Sunderlands, wich was later taken up by the entire RAF.
Old August 14, 2001, 04:44   #51
techumseh
Emperor

PBY Catilina? Do you want American....
Attached Images:

Old August 14, 2001, 04:45   #52
techumseh
Emperor

or British?

Last edited by techumseh; August 14, 2001 at 15:09.
Old August 14, 2001, 04:55   #53
techumseh
Emperor

I also took the liberty of changing the Canadian crest on the corvette. The present red and white flag was not adopted until 1967. Up to then Canada had the Red Ensign, which had the Union Jack and the Canadian coat of arms. This maple leaf is more representative of one on the coat of arms.

Now, I really have to get back to Barsoom.
Attached Images:

Old August 14, 2001, 09:54   #54
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 12:52
I was doing quite well on this (or so I thought) until I read the readme file, and discovered that sitting all your u-boats on the mines is considered cheating.

At that point, I went into a deep depression from which I have not yet recovered.
Old August 14, 2001, 10:01   #55
Paul Hanson
King

Oh, I almost forgot. I did this pic of a Swordfish torpedo bomber a while back when I was bored. I though you might like to use it.
Attached Images:

Old August 14, 2001, 15:22   #56
techumseh
Emperor

Here's the British one. I tried to edit the pic, but it seems you can't edit in a pic after editing one out.
Attached Images:

Old August 14, 2001, 15:22   #57
techumseh
Emperor

Another of thosr irritating double posts!
Old August 14, 2001, 18:59   #58
Case
Emperor

Wow, thanks techumseh and Paul!
Old August 16, 2001, 04:40   #59
Case
Emperor

If I was to take the Sabetours out of the scenario, would anyone miss them?
Old August 16, 2001, 07:36   #60
Paul Hanson
King

I sure as hell wouldn`t.

What are you planning on putting in their place?