Old July 28, 2001, 04:03   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 04:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Best of the OLD dos games
I mean the ones that don't even have VGA graphics.

I vote for:
Zork. no graphics. no sound. undisputed king of the text adventures. I still have it. Remember looking at the writing on the door, only to discover it said "this space intentionally left blank"?

Fairy Godmom. this shareware piece of arcade is just fascinating and full of laughs. the idea is that your wand transforms things, one button to scan, one button to transform. one of the funny thing you can do is turn a line of brick into coins and pick them all up. almost win until a coin turns back into a brick and kils you. also killed myself turning a ladder into a monster

I still play both of these.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old July 28, 2001, 05:17   #2
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 12:53
I vote for the very first part of Heroes of might and magic (not no. 1) but the EGA version. It is still fun to play though I don't know the name of the game and it isn't Heroes of M&M.
Old July 29, 2001, 19:04   #3
Father Beast
King

I think you're talking about... wait a minute... not King's Quest... but it's close...

KING'S BOUNTY!

I often refer to this as "hero of might and magic". it certainly has some frustrating elements, like the limits on how many critters you can control. I have played this recntly myself. actually won without leaving the first continent because I found the ultimate artifact.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old July 30, 2001, 05:14   #4
Juggler
Prince

I just can't finish the damn game.
By the time I arrive in the desert the enemy is much too strong for me and if I'm correct there is some kind of a time limit (I haven't played it recently but I'll start looking for it on the net again).
The time limit was probably the most annoying part of the game.

Anyway King's Bounty is interesting if you like Heroes of M&M (interesting units - those peasants are useless as always).

I forgot to mention one other game - Pirates! It can be played in both EGA and VGA and it's still one of my favourites.
Old July 30, 2001, 15:25   #5
Father Beast
King

I got Pirates! Gold from underdogs a while back, but never played it. I was wondering if I should try it out....

Old July 30, 2001, 17:41   #6
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 03:53
I vote for Civilization, of course!

John-SJ
Old July 30, 2001, 21:43   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:53
For the Really old games:

Galaga
Space Invaders
Cats (You try to climb to the top of a fence and find your true love; one of the first games to have 'mini-games'

Empire was sort of fun (Risk-type game)
Duke Nukem (The OLD platform type games)
Spies of Red Rock (or something like that. You were a spy on an island; platform; you tried to defeat multiple castles and advance to kill the evil spy)

Commander Keen! (Everyone should know of this and other old Apogee games)
Old July 31, 2001, 04:59   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:53
Let me see:

Defender of Crown
Omega (uses character graphics)
SimCity
Spot
Railroad Tycoon
Civilization
NATO, Crusade in Europe, Decision in Desert, and Conflict in Vietnam (all very old MicroProse wargames)
Old July 31, 2001, 17:10   #9
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
For the Really old games:

Commander Keen! (Everyone should know of this and other old Apogee games)
Oh Yeah! I totally forgot about commander Keen, I spent many happy hours with good old CK4, and even played the demo for 6: Aliens ate my babysitter.

Apogee. for a while, ALL their games looked like Commander Keen. Secret Agent Man, Jill Of The Jungle, Even Duke Nukem side scroller.

Old August 3, 2001, 05:13   #10
Fiera
Emperor

Add a vote Defender of the Crown. It was in 1985, wasn't it?

And for more recent games (but not so much, it's already ten years ago! ), Civilization and The Secret of Monkey Island.

Oh, and Wolfenstein 3D too!

Last edited by Fiera; August 3, 2001 at 05:22.
Old August 3, 2001, 06:03   #11
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Quote:
Cats (You try to climb to the top of a fence and find your true love; one of the first games to have 'mini-games'
Wasn't that called "Alley Cat"? I used to have it on my Commodore 64.

My vote goes to the original EGA version of The Secret of Monkey Island. Of course.
Old August 3, 2001, 07:05   #12
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
I didn't play a lot of PC games in that prehistoric era, the first PC game I played a lot was Sim City 2000, but I did play Snakes sometimes. I'd also mention Hidden Agenda, which is a fairly recent discovery.

Games such as Sim City, Civilisation, Railroad Tycoon, Prince of Persia are certainly also worth mentioning but these already have VGA graphics, isn't it?
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 3, 2001, 07:29   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:53
I think Railroad Tycoon has EGA graphics.

Another one:

Star Control
Old August 3, 2001, 10:26   #14
Juggler
Prince

Prince of Persia has EGA as far as I know (I'm not sure though).

One more: Prehistorik (1 and 2)
Old August 3, 2001, 10:35   #15
Fiera
Emperor

Oh, yes, how could I've forgotten Prince of Persia... the game lost a lot of its appeal once I learned about the cheats, though...
Old August 3, 2001, 11:54   #16
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Railroad Tycoon had EGA graphics...

Star Control ! Isn't that the boring game where you shoot incoming lines?

Yes, that was alley cat.

Secret of Monkey Island- I could only beat it with the complete walkthrough... But it was fun

Secret Agent was the best of their games; I have it on CD
HAHAHAHAAHAHAH

I own almost all the games listed- excepting Railroad Tycoon which I gave to an uncle who likes railroads when I got Railroad Tycoon II.

The ones I didn't own:

Omega, Defender of the Crown,
Old August 3, 2001, 15:11   #17
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
The ones I didn't own:

Omega, Defender of the Crown,
You aren't old enough to have played those, huh?
Old August 3, 2001, 19:56   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

My oldest favorite game is...ehhhmmm...a game I just can't remember the name of (I only had to my C64), and it seems like nobody else knows it, since I have tried many abondonware sites (Since I don't know the name or don't have any clue it takes loooong time to search for it )

But for my favorite games I can remember is:

Civilization
The Settlers
Sim City

And...ehhmmm...Boulder Dash (Just couldn't stop playing it) btw, there wouldn't been anyone inhere who know where to get the Amiga versions of Boulder Dash to PC, cuz I can only find the first versions of the game
Old August 4, 2001, 16:53   #19
Colon™
Emperor

Actually the version of Railroad Tycoon I have is RT Deluxe, which supports VGA.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 5, 2001, 20:59   #20
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera

You aren't old enough to have played those, huh?
Hmph. Nice try. Defender of the Crown came out in 86' or 79', I can't remember. I just never played it.

I never heard of Omega.
Old August 6, 2001, 05:10   #21
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Hmph. Nice try. Defender of the Crown came out in 86' or 79', I can't remember. I just never played it.

I never heard of Omega.
Actually, I think Defender of the Crown came out in '85, but I didn't play it until the '88 or '89 (when my dad bought our first PC).

I haven't heard of Omega either.
Old August 7, 2001, 09:34   #22
LionsEtc
Settler

Local Time: 05:53
(Forgive me if I make a mistake in this post; I'm new. This all seems so complicated.)

DOS games. The good 'ol days. It's topics like this that make me pine for my 486. Rest In Peace.

These are some of my favorite DOS games:

Pirates Gold- How could you not enjoy ransacking Spanish towns or capturing a war galleon?

Civilization- I love that music they play when you meet a foreign leader. What is the Russian's music? Song of the Volga Boatmen ? I think that's what its called.

Transport Tycoon- Taking over bankrupt competitors. Now that's what it's all about. (Or at least to me.)

Colonization- It seems more fun if you colonize South America first. I guess its all that silver in the mountains.
Old August 7, 2001, 09:47   #23
Juggler
Prince

Never tryed colonizing South America first, I always played the English in North America.
But Colonization is much harder than Civ. Sometimes gaining independence can be a big problem to me because I end up having 6 cities compared with others having already colonized the whole world.

And too bad Pirates! Gold doesn't work on my computer anymore. Dunno why, the original Pirates! game works perfectly.
Old August 7, 2001, 10:44   #24
LionsEtc
Settler

Colonizing in South America is easiest for me. Especially in southern South America. Northern South America is just a little to close to the other colonizers for my taste. If I drive the other guys out, I can get the entire landmass to myself.
There's tabacco, cotton, surgar and there is easy access to the Incas for silver trade. And when you make the Incas mad, (and have Cortes in the Founding Fathers thing) you can make a ton of gold ransacking their cities.
I don't know if others do this, (I'm sure they do), but I like to get the Incas to train a regular colonist or indentured servant to be a silver miner. Then I make little colonies (with populations of one or two at the most) right beside large silver deposits. The miner mines the silver and my ships pick it up until the mine is depleted. Then I uproot him and send him to another deposit. You can make a lot of gold this way, at least until the price of silver drops.
Hmmm, as usual, I've gotten off-topic. Sorry!

PS- Juggler, Pirates! Gold doesn't work on your computer? My computer wouldn't run Pirates! Gold either, for a while. I kind of know how you feel.
Old August 7, 2001, 13:27   #25
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LionsEtc
Colonization- It seems more fun if you colonize South America first. I guess its all that silver in the mountains.
Yes! I always did it that way, in fact I always played as the Spanish. I used to love moving around those gold caravans, that sometimes game up to 5000 gold when I managed to put them into a galleon...
Old August 7, 2001, 15:04   #26
LionsEtc
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera

Yes! I always did it that way, in fact I always played as the Spanish. I used to love moving around those gold caravans, that sometimes game up to 5000 gold when I managed to put them into a galleon...
I'm glad I'm not alone!
My favorite was the Dutch. That Merchantmen came in handy in the beginning. Not like I had that much to carry in the beginning.
But that bonus the Spanish had would be very helpful in conquering the Incas.
One of Colonization's great features is that every nation had a special bonus.
Something I didn't like about Colonization, is that if you opt to play after you gained independence, the other countries didn't move anymore. I could still trade with them and attack them, but if I remember right, they didn't do anything.
Old August 7, 2001, 15:13   #27
Fiera
Emperor

Well, Colonization added a lot of good things to Civilization. Surprisingly, most of them weren't added to Civ2. As far as I'm concerned, Colonization's trade system was better than that of Civ2, and they had working and challenging "minor civs", a feature which Civ3 won't probably have.
Old August 7, 2001, 15:35   #28
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:53
There was a rumor going around about Colonization 2, but I never heard any confirmation for or against. That name would be property of Microprose, so which game company would own the rights now (I haven't followed all the buyouts and such)?
Old August 7, 2001, 15:40   #29
Fiera
Emperor

To Hasbro Interactive, I think.

It would be great if they decided to do it. In fact, when Firaxis finally releases Civ3, we can ask Markos to open a Colonization 2 Wishlist forum.
Old August 7, 2001, 17:32   #30
LionsEtc
Settler

I heard about a Colonization 2, also. But I can't for the life of me remember where.