Old August 8, 2001, 00:46   #31
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 20:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Syndicate was pretty cool. I wasted a lot of Year 12 playing that game. Same with Frontier Elite II.

Edit: er, yes, these are both VGA games. But so's Colonisation. (runs away)
Old August 8, 2001, 02:11   #32
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 12:53
I also read at theunderdogs.org that they are preparing Pirates! 2 http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/S.../pirat2pg.htm.
Old August 8, 2001, 10:33   #33
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
Well, if you're interested in helping with a Colonization II projet, go here:

http://pub73.ezboard.com/fthecolonizationiiprojectfrm1

Yeah, I haven't been there in a while..... Sorry guys!
Old August 8, 2001, 12:25   #34
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 08:23
EGA Trek is one of my favorites.
VGA Miner is good too....but it's VGA
Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software
Old August 8, 2001, 13:58   #35
Juggler
Prince

EGA Trek brings back some good memories.
I was very skillful at that game but totally forgot about it.
Old August 8, 2001, 16:40   #36
LionsEtc
Settler

Local Time: 05:53
I dug deep down into my memory to try and remember the oldest game I ever played on a computer. That's hard! I can remember playing Hangman on my old 80/88 laptop (made by Tandy).

I also remember playing this came called "Crystal Caves" or something like that by Apogee. I wonder if I still have it. . .?
Old August 8, 2001, 17:21   #37
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
The oldest computer game I have played must have been Wumpus, shortly followed by Hamurabi = the predecessor of civ . These were not even on the PC. With the PC followed Castle, Mars-Esc (a real text-adventure gem), and of course the first real classic: Pacman!! Anyone ever played this to a finish?
The next generation brought Perfect General, Ishar, Dune and SimCity ....

Old August 8, 2001, 20:39   #38
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Ahhh.... Crystal Caves... I loved that game... and I actually managed to beat it. It used up a whole lot of valuable time, but it was fun....
Old August 8, 2001, 22:27   #39
LionsEtc
Settler

Local Time: 05:53
And what was the character's name in Crystal Caves? Milo something or another. . .

Wow! The memories, their all coming back to me now.
Old August 9, 2001, 01:26   #40
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:53
There are actually two games named Omega. One's an ASCII-based Rogue-like RPG that runs on all sorts of systems. It's still floating around on the Net and is absolutely free. The other one is a tank combat game based on the legendary Corewars.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
The oldest computer game I have played must have been Wumpus, shortly followed by Hamurabi = the predecessor of civ . These were not even on the PC.
You're old
Old August 9, 2001, 05:41   #41
Juggler
Prince

I played Crystal Caves a week ago but deleted it. I used to play it on my 386PC and I think it had 3 episodes.
Heck, I'll just download it once again.
Old August 12, 2001, 02:15   #42
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 23:53
How about Ascendancy? For a Dos game, the graphics were excellent, better than some Windows games, that's for sure. I think SVGA though, so is that out of the scope of this thread?
Old August 12, 2001, 04:43   #43
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
How about Ascendancy? For a Dos game, the graphics were excellent, better than some Windows games, that's for sure. I think SVGA though, so is that out of the scope of this thread?
I remember Ascendancy, that was between MOO1and 2. I remember a friend had it, it was really innovative, but it was flawed with REALLY bad AI so I hear.

My favorite games

I remember being little and getting really excited about getting both SimCity (not 2k) and Civ, and how I never really understood either until I had played them for 3 years (I was like 10 or something).

Defender of The Crown - I had the NES version, prolly my first strategy game.

Colonization - I play that now, but I never had it for DOS, I have the Windows version, and yes a sequel would be awesome!

Wing Commander 1&2 - Nothing like playing a flight sim with the number pad!

but...
What bout the good ole AD&D RPGS!?!?

1. Champions of Krynn!
  2. Pool of Radiance!
  3. EOB 1,2, and 3!

It wasnt till recent that I could find a better AD&D game in Baldurs Gate etc...

oh yeah.. does anyone rememeber Castles? that was a fun RTS game based in the French Duchys.

I think thats all I recall now, bed time.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 12, 2001, 10:18   #44
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
Wing Commander 1&2 - Nothing like playing a flight sim with the number pad!
Those were amazing! And they had the best plot I've ever seen in a computer game...

I also had an expansion, the Secret Operations 1&2, I think, and also bought Wing Commander Privateer, which had a very interesting plot too, but I never got to finish it. Could anyone tell me what happened in the end?
Old August 12, 2001, 11:18   #45
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
"I remember Ascendancy, that was between MOO1and 2. I remember a friend had it, it was really innovative, but it was flawed with REALLY bad AI so I hear."

That's putting it mildly. I've never experienced the CTP2 AI but I can't imagine it would be worse than Ascendancy's.
It had other turn-offs, such as an overwhelming amount of micromanagement and an annoying limit of one starship for each planet system you controlled.

Shame though, because the remainder of the game was well designed IMO.

And to Russel, yes, Ascendancy is way beyond the scope of this thread.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 12, 2001, 15:21   #46
Pythagoras
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera

Those were amazing! And they had the best plot I've ever seen in a computer game...

I also had an expansion, the Secret Operations 1&2, I think, and also bought Wing Commander Privateer, which had a very interesting plot too, but I never got to finish it. Could anyone tell me what happened in the end?
The other cool thing about WC1 was the branching story structure. Even if you lost a mission, you might be in for another mission that youve never played, and you can still win the game.

Old August 13, 2001, 00:28   #47
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 04:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
I got Pirates! Gold from underdogs a while back, but never played it. I was wondering if I should try it out....
YES! I started pllaying it after dinner one even, and after awhile, I was getting really tired. I glanced over at the clock and it was 3 in the morning! I had to get up at 6 and go to work. Needless to say, I was pretty worthless at work the next day.
Old August 13, 2001, 20:24   #48
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler

YES! I started pllaying it after dinner one even, and after awhile, I was getting really tired. I glanced over at the clock and it was 3 in the morning! I had to get up at 6 and go to work. Needless to say, I was pretty worthless at work the next day.
Dang! Maybe I should try it out. I did the same thing, got it from underdogs and never played. maybe I'll try the manual

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 15, 2001, 09:34   #49
Father Beast
King

Legacy of the ancients (also available at underdogs) is another of those great old games. My wife and I fought for use of our commodore during our first year of marriage to play this game.

the PC version doesn't have sound as good, but it's still fun. I remember devising the strategy of doing the mail run from isle city to cobbleton to get enough money to get me started, always a problem in these Questron type games.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 16, 2001, 20:45   #50
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 11:53
Hitchhiker is a lot better then zork. It's hilarious. I agree some bits in zork are good but you dont get a feel for the environment you're just going through the same places over and over. In hitchhiker you actually travel around and only go back as a different character which is really fun as well you get to see yourself from another persons perspective.
Another great game is Shadow President, It's about 12 years old but it just doesn't age.
Old August 22, 2001, 02:18   #51
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:53
An old game i played heaps of was Warlords.

It was an excellent strategy/war game. There were 80 castles to take over, and 7 enemies. It also had a very good AI, which didnt do excessively stupid things, and was aggressive

Of course, i played civ a lot more (especially after i discovered that cannons *werent* too good for defence) hehe
Old August 22, 2001, 23:58   #52
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Also Warlords 2. Very stong AI.
Old August 24, 2001, 04:18   #53
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Besides the obvious choices of Civ & Colonisation, I'd pick defender of the Crown (which has been mentioned), Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Ancient Art of War, Might & Magic 2, and Olympic Decathlon.
Old August 24, 2001, 22:16   #54
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Panzers East! from Avalon Hill, I believe. You just moved German "strength points" (Infantry, Panzer, Axis and Air) around on a Russian map. It was actually pretty difficult, with a Tactical Victory the best I ever got.

SSI´s Wargame Construction Set : Now this is something I would like to see again. A game where You can create Your own tactical battles, units, maps and everything in any period! Why did no one ever do this again?
Old August 25, 2001, 02:08   #55
Pythagoras
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
Panzers East! from Avalon Hill, I believe. You just moved German "strength points" (Infantry, Panzer, Axis and Air) around on a Russian map. It was actually pretty difficult, with a Tactical Victory the best I ever got.

SSI´s Wargame Construction Set : Now this is something I would like to see again. A game where You can create Your own tactical battles, units, maps and everything in any period! Why did no one ever do this again?
Yeah I remember a friend of mine had the wargame construction set, it was awesome. But then again, why make a wargame construction set when you can just mod whats out there (ie civ3).

Old August 25, 2001, 07:46   #56
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
But then again, why make a wargame construction set when you can just mod whats out there (ie civ3).
Making mods is great, of course. But a Civ game wouldn´t be really useful as a starting point, if You want to do something along a tactical or grand-tactical line. Chickamauga or the Bulge as a Civ scenario wouldn´t quite work.

Then, of course, there will also probably never be a Civ game with a WYSIWYG type editor, like in HoMM 3 Armageddon. Civ editors will always be somewhat cumbersome I bet.
Old August 25, 2001, 07:50   #57
Comrade Tribune
Prince

I just thought of two more nostalgia games: Ghenghis Khan from KOEI, and Prince of Aragon from SSI. The latter had the best unit construction workshop, ever.
Old August 30, 2001, 07:36   #58
Simon Loverix
Warlord

Local Time: 11:53
- Prince was great- I once did it in about 20 minits I think.
- And King's Quest III.. I played it for a year, but when I got close to the end:
- Arkanoid: the final level was the single easiest one of the whole game.
- Cat: really cool, but has it an ending?
- Wolf 3D: the ultimate 3d shoot'em up. no other has added something really important to this genre, don't you think?
- Centurion: it's also VGA, but it worked on my old 286 so I consider it a small game. It's in fact the only one I still play sometimes.
- Castle: ASCII. This one has just so much atmosphere. Move your around to fight ), *, and S. Go upstairs, look in the fountain and you can see a gem. A drawback: current computers are way too fast, and it's real-time... I think the average opponent can attack you 654 times before you saw its character flickering. And my version is corrupted.

--> Which brings us to: ROGUE-LIKES: Nethack, Ancient Domains of Magic, Angband, .. Ascii adventures with random dungeons. Incredibly deep and surprising . For example, in Nethack you can eat a carrot to cure blindness (ever seen a rabbit with glasses?), except when you're hit by a cream pie. You can cast stone to flesh on a granite ring/diamond a get a meat ring/meatball. Look into a mirror when you're polymorphed into a floating eye and paralyse yourself. etc., etc.
Old August 30, 2001, 13:40   #59
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
I just thought of two more nostalgia games: Ghenghis Khan from KOEI, and Prince of Aragon from SSI. The latter had the best unit construction workshop, ever.
Prince of Aragon? Never heard of it... what kind of game was it?
Old August 30, 2001, 16:44   #60
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera

Prince of Aragon? Never heard of it... what kind of game was it?
Apart from one weakness -bad tactical AI- it was the best fantasy strategy game ever made.
There were so many great details about that game I´ll only mention one (Otherwise this post would cover pages.):
You could custom-design and develop every single military unit the way You develop Your heroes in a RPG: Same level of detail, and it WORKED.