Old August 2, 2001, 11:18   #61
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't understand all the complaints I'm seeing. I rather like the graphics (and they can only get better). Considering that these are all alpha graphics that we've seen, I think Firaxis is doing a fine job. It doesn't have to be perfect, just decent. If I can tell whats going on without straining my eyes or vomitting on my keyboard, I DON'T CARE.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:27   #62
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhuarc
I really like the epic feel that the new style of graphics give the game. Instead of the sharp blaring graphics of CTP2 (which I also liked by the way!!) these graphics provide the needed information while still giving the feel of an epic story unfolding before you.
I'm right there with you. I like things subtle, not very bright and shiny. Lots of earthtones is perfect for me (though I do want the ocean bluer) and it does look a little epic to me
Old August 2, 2001, 11:42   #63
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 12:53
I remember, when Civ II came out, how much I disliked the graphics in comparisson to Civ I. This was because I wasn't used to them but pretty soon they grew on me.

From what I've seen from the graphics they don't look too bad and won't hinder gameplay like was the case in SMAC, which by the way I still liked.

Anyway right now we haven't even seen the final graphics, let alone have we played Civ III for some time. So my suggestion is that we all stop whining until we have something to whine about.

Last edited by Mannamagnus; August 2, 2001 at 11:52.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:46   #64
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:53
I would love that, Mannamagnus, but it's not going to happen. People here like whining way too much. It'll be quieter without Yin posting all the time, but it will still be there.
Old August 7, 2001, 11:32   #65
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 03:53
Bluer Oceans
SerapisIV: Good News! The oceans will be bluer! (Well at least parts of them. If you check out the screenshot from GameSpot and look in the lower righthand corner you will see a world view.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...261-29,00.html

In that view, you can make out shallows (green waters) and deep ocean (blue waters). There is obviously a distinction between the two types of water.

I wonder if this has anything to do with trireme movement or the movement of other primitive sail units.

Also, I think that the random generated map (assuming that this map WAS random) also looks much better than CivII. There seem to be continents, large oceans and none of the ribbons of land which plagued me before.
Old August 8, 2001, 15:15   #66
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
yeah, the oceans we've seen on some of the early pictures really sucked. they really should be 'bluer' if I may say so. anyway, are there any new screenshots showing larger areas of ocean AND continental land mass?