Old July 28, 2001, 12:19   #1
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 13:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbs as Allies?
Not sure, but hasn´t it been mentioned somewhere that you can ally the Barbs with AI civs? If so, how? I hope this works without hexediting, because I have no idea about it...

However, any help would be great. I have some Barb units which represent buildings in Subwar, and nobody should not be allowed to attack them until a certain point in the game. Currently I experiment with making them Air units and forbid all other units to attack them, but some AI units seem to ignore my settings (or I made an error, still have to check it)
Old July 28, 2001, 15:14   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 06:54
could you give the units a very high defense strength like 80? wouldn't that keep the ai from attacking the units?
Old July 28, 2001, 15:43   #3
BeBro
Emperor

Yes, but the problem is that the AI should not attack them, while the human player (the "nobody" in the first post was not exactly right) has to attack these units (which have a special function ) later in the game, so a defense of 80 is probably too strong.
Old July 28, 2001, 16:29   #4
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

If you are not already using all seven civs you can use the last civ to create these units. Make them zero move settler units and ally the civ with the AI civs.

BTW are you using FW, MGE, or ToT?
Old July 28, 2001, 17:06   #5
BeBro
Emperor

I´m developing it under FW, but perhaps I change to MGE for the final version, because of the more aggressive AI.

And your idea sounds good, thanks. I´m using seven civs now, but I could delete one, thats no big difference because the scn is strictly for one human civ, all others are not playable, so if the player faces five or six AI civs is not so important, there will be enough enemies.
Old July 28, 2001, 20:27   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:54
I think that Andrew Livings used hex editing to ally barbarians with civs in the latest version of the excelent 'Crises of the New World Order'
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old July 29, 2001, 01:12   #7
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 19:54
I've had some experience that the AI doesn't attack units which have a cost of 1 and attack of 0. I'm not sure if the movement allowance is a factor but you could experiment with that.
Old July 29, 2001, 12:42   #8
BeBro
Emperor

I´m currently trying to implement William´s idea, but there is a problem:

I reduced the civ I want to delete to one city, then I created some of the modified settler units (the move 0 buildings) on another place of the map. I made all of them "none" units, and the last city shows that they are not supported from there. But when I delete the city with shift+D, the entire civ, including the settler units/buildings dissapear.

I also tested it with a normal "none" settler (I assumed the move 0 was the reason), but with the same result. Can anybody help me to get this to work? I thought starting without cities runs in other scns...
Old July 29, 2001, 13:49   #9
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:54
It's too late for that civ. Once a city is founded, the founding civ is automaticaly eliminated once its' last city is lost, no matter how that happens. So you'll have to start over.....

OR, you can use Carl Fritzs' wonderful CivTweak program to add a new civ to replace the one that's been eliminated. It's available at the Cradle of Civilization, here: http://Civ.cx/ I've used this program on scenarios where I started with less than 7 civs to add more. It works like a charm!

I've found the best place to put a settler for this purpose is in a remote corner, on an ocean square. That way it can't move and can't found a city. Be sure it's impossible for units of another civ, or barbarians if you're using them, to get to it.

Last edited by techumseh; July 29, 2001 at 13:57.
Old July 29, 2001, 14:44   #10
BeBro
Emperor

Thanks a lot, this works fine!
Old July 30, 2001, 07:07   #11
BeBro
Emperor

Unfortunately I´m still having problems. At first the latest changes seemed to work, but when I play longer all of the settler/buildings dissappear. To give you an impression for what I need them, see the pic. They are essential for the events, so I have to get this to work...

I played with a revealed map, and all (and there were alot) of these units dissappeared in turn 11, nobody attacked them. The only solution I see now is to make a small city of that civ somewhere (size 1, strong defended - only destroyable if you trigger a special event), but I would prefer another solution. If there is somebody who knows how I can solve this problem in another way, please let me know.

The good news is that most of the other things run fine, so except this problem, the scn is nearly finished...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	subwar1.gif
Views:	132
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1339  
Old July 31, 2001, 23:52   #12
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:54
Hi Bebro, I just one question for ya. Are the settler units your using for this event the first unit in the civ slots? When I worked on my scenario, the only way around this was to use the first slot. Giving other units the ability to be settlers seemed not to work for this method of use. Only the first unit.
Old August 1, 2001, 04:31   #13
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 19:54
How about making the city of the unwanted civilization invisible (through using one of the building styles and not using the industrialisation tech) and then tucking it away somewhere.

Or making many cities of the unwanted civilisation the objectives instead of the settlers by changing the building style to the picture you want. Then enforece peace with the other AI by not allowing negotiations with anyone after signing peace treaties with all except the human player.

Last edited by kobayashi; August 1, 2001 at 04:40.
Old August 1, 2001, 07:11   #14
BeBro
Emperor

Thanks for these ideas, guys. I have to test them...
Old August 2, 2001, 12:45   #15
BeBro
Emperor

The settler/building thing seems solved now, thanks for all the help so far

New problem: Is there anything else except "guerilla warfare" needed to trigger those partisans that appear after taking an enemy city? According to the SL tips not...
I´ve given the tech to one civ, even made it a "nil" tech, and their city screen shows that the partisan unit is buildable, but they do not appear after I take their cities...
Old August 2, 2001, 14:23   #16
William Keenan
Prince

Try making the city size bigger and see if they appear then.
Old August 2, 2001, 14:55   #17
BeBro
Emperor

Yup, that was the solution, never had thought of this. Thanks - and now back to work...
Old August 2, 2001, 19:35   #18
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:54
The Communism tech also increases the number of partisans created
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 4, 2001, 13:48   #19
BeBro
Emperor

Ok, the settler thing is solved, the partisans appear - as well as as new problem: I have difficulties to control global warming.

Pollution should play a role in the scn, so it is no option to turn it off. But the funny thing is, I have terrain changes due to global warming ca. every 15 turns without that polluted squares appear before. I have some "prebuilded" polluted squares, but the changes appear even when I remove them. May be I experimented too much...

I enabled all techs that decrease pollution (and gave them to all civs), and disabled all techs that increase pollution (except industrialization, I need it for the city style). I also sold factories, builded mass transit and recycling everywhere - but it doesn´t help. The terrain changes even occured when I turn pollution completely off.

Since everything else is nearly done I could rebuild the scn from a "naked" map (there aren´t soo many cities from the beginning on), but if anybody has an idea how to get around this...
Old August 4, 2001, 16:25   #20
William Keenan
Prince

The techs don't affect global warming, only the occurrence of pollution.

How did you remove the pollution?

Do you use an invisible pollution icon?
Old August 4, 2001, 16:35   #21
BeBro
Emperor

I use a visible pollution icon. No new polluted squares appear after the scn ahs started, but the global warming icon (near the research icon in the tatus window) appears in the 2nd or 3rd turn, and then it just needs some more turns for the first terrain changes. After that the whole thing start again.

And I removed the polluted squares via the > cheat menu > change terrain. Should I try it with settler units?
Old August 4, 2001, 16:55   #22
William Keenan
Prince

My guess is that the pollution flag is still in the file. Things to try:
[*]save the game as a scenario and restart, to see if the pollution then appears.[*]Automate some enginneers. See if they try to clean it up.[*]Hex edit.
Old August 5, 2001, 13:17   #23
BeBro
Emperor

Thanks for your help, it *seems* to work if I use engineers for cleaning up the polluted squares instead of changing them via cheat menu...But I have to test it a bit more.