Old July 28, 2001, 12:25   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sid's Next Project
After Sim Golf and Civ III

I was paging through an old Computer Gaming World and saw that he said he was planning to do next a "Massive Multiplayer Game" I have a feeling that he wants to work with Will Wright on the "Sims Online" since he said that it was going to be the next big thing.

Hopefully he does a Civ IV Massively multiplayer game that can handle multiple servers... but, alas, he seems to be thinking about joining Maxis and is obsessed about The Sims online.
Old July 28, 2001, 13:00   #2
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 12:54
Sim Golf Online? What I really wanna see is Pirates online
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old July 28, 2001, 13:22   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:54
Sid, you're a civer! Don't leave us, remain with the Civ community!
Old July 28, 2001, 16:48   #4
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 07:54
This is great. Civ3 isn't even out yet, half of the visitors to this forum are complaining about something (or so it seems), we're all impatient for the release of Civ3, and now people are worried about what he's going to do next?!? Jeez, can't we worry about one thing at a time?
Old July 28, 2001, 17:14   #5
Gangerolf
Prince

Re: Sid's Next Project
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
After Sim Golf and Civ III
Colonization 2
Old July 28, 2001, 17:31   #6
Footie Mad
Prince

Re: Re: Sid's Next Project
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf

Colonization 2
Yeah, in 3-D...*drool*
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old July 28, 2001, 18:17   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

I heard that PopTop, the makers of Railroad Tycoon II were planning on making Pirates! 2 after Railroad Tycoon III.
Old July 28, 2001, 19:19   #8
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
I heard that PopTop, the makers of Railroad Tycoon II were planning on making Pirates! 2 after Railroad Tycoon III.

What an excellent idea! Why come up with something original like Civ, Pirates! and RR when you can make all those sequels, clones and remakes. Why take chances if you can play it safe?

P.S
This doesn't mean that I wouldn't like colonization 2. Although I'd rather have something new and original that could surpass it.
Old July 28, 2001, 21:35   #9
Alantus
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:54
Is Pirates! a violent game? I never played it so I don't really know. As a close follower of Poptop I know they will not be making any violent games, so if Pirates has alot of violence you can count them out on the sequel watch. The founder and head guy at Poptop (Phil Stienmeyer) has basically stated he won't make a game more violent than Tropico. Of course since I never played Pirates this could be a useless post.

Alantus
Old July 28, 2001, 21:41   #10
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Alantus
Is Pirates! a violent game? I never played it so I don't really know. As a close follower of Poptop I know they will not be making any violent games, so if Pirates has alot of violence you can count them out on the sequel watch. The founder and head guy at Poptop (Phil Stienmeyer) has basically stated he won't make a game more violent than Tropico. Of course since I never played Pirates this could be a useless post.

Alantus
I believe its about as violent as the Civ games.
Old July 28, 2001, 23:01   #11
Alantus
Chieftain

Would be shocked if Poptop was involved in that case.
Old July 29, 2001, 04:25   #12
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 21:54
Colonazation 2 sounds good.
Old July 29, 2001, 05:31   #13
LewsTherin
Settler

Yes, but I would prefer a sequel to SMAC(X).
Old July 29, 2001, 07:53   #14
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 13:54
Question:
How many sequels has SID made sofar?

I would say none, Civ3 can be considered as first real sequel for Sid or then maybe not. Sid has games, but he apereantly likes to try something new each time.

Sofar Sid has made a half a dussin different games I love/loved, so I do think that Sid will try something new next time also. (And maybe I'll like the next one.)
Old July 29, 2001, 07:56   #15
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

None, as far as I know. This is one of the cool things about Sid is he's always up to something new. For a while, he was THE guy for fighter-jet sims! Then he was THE guy for this and then that and on and on. Of course, he hasn't been THE guy lately in terms of pioneering genres (but that was likely never his focus anyway), and I think he's happy simply working on what he likes even if that means riding the tailcoats of another company. Hell, the man deserves it.

And if Civ 3 fails, he always has the way out: "Well, people KNOW that I didn't really make it. Really."

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 29, 2001, 08:00   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

By the way, a complete (?) list of his games...of course these all weren't entirely HIS, but you'll get the picture:

Silent Service (1985)

F-15 Strike Eagle (1985)

NATO Division Commander (1985)

Conflict in Vietnam (1985)

Crusade in Europe and Decision in the Desert (1985)

Sid Meier's Pirates! (1987)

Red Storm Rising (1987)

F-19 Stealth Fighter (1988)

Gunship (1989)

Railroad Tycoon (1990)

Sid Meier's Civilization (1991)

Sid Meier's Covert Action (1991)

CPU Bach (1993)

Sid Meier's Colonization (1994)

Sid Meier's CivNet (1995)

Sid Meier's Civilization II (1997)

Magic: The Gathering (1997)

Sid Meier's Gettysburg! (then) Antietam! (1997)

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire

GOLF!!!!!!!!!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 29, 2001, 15:56   #17
DarkCloud
staff

I didn't think he made Magic: The Gathering?
Old July 29, 2001, 17:08   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

He was brought in to improve the 1 player 'adventure' part of the game. He played no part in developing the basic M:TG card game.
Old July 29, 2001, 18:35   #19
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
I would be interested in a civ style game totally online. You could start a new world with some friends or you could join a world already created. You also could have thousands of countries and a huge map. And instead of having year/month turns they could be like days. It would be more realistic than the Civ games so far. You would have to include a lot more tech's and units but i think it would be fun. Also with the huge map(like at least 30 as big as you can get normal maps) you wouldn't have a smarter country picking on one with less tech's as much. Also if you did lose to a bigger country you could still play. If they were democratic you could run for election vs. the countries president and if your former cities had a larger population you would be elected. You could also throw coups if the leader was hated so much or if he didn't support the military enough and things like that. This is the problem with past Civ games IMO because once you conquer a country they support you without any hatered. I have been recently talking with a friend about everquest(i think that is what it is called i have never played it) and in that game you build a warrior and can build different kinds of warriors. This lead me to thinking about this kind of Civ game. It would be a totally different kind of MP game because there would almost never be a winner(because of the size of the game and all) and it would be almost like the real world with all the different people. The only problem i can think of is what happens when you are off line. well you could have your cities auto produce units and buildings and what not and when you get attacked you allies would have to help you and if they are offline they would have to set there units to protect you in case of an attack or something like that. Also, it couldn't be a turn based game i don't think because it woudl take way too long, but if it was real time it would work. I really think this could be a fun game, but that is just my opinion. If you guys feel the same way post and who knows maybe we can start a new civ style game

Last edited by Beckdawg; July 29, 2001 at 18:54.
Old July 29, 2001, 18:52   #20
Rhysie
Warlord

Quote:
Does anyone have any links relating to Railroad Tycoon III? I wasn't aware it was in production until I saw this, and a look at the poptop website doesn't help, and a search I did only indicates it should already be out...
Old July 29, 2001, 20:25   #21
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
or maybe what i just said about MP is what the have instore!!!!!!! but being a member of the pessimists i must say probably not lol. I would love to see that game though. there is some online game like it i played once but i can't remember what it was called. they had a free verson and a pay for verson. Any body know what i am talking about? if so PM me or post after this one
Old July 30, 2001, 02:25   #22
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 21:54
DarkCloud Said:

I think Microprose did, but not Sid Meier personally.
Old July 30, 2001, 16:25   #23
DarkCloud
staff

try http://www.railroadtycoon3.com
that might work... or go to this site:
http://www.gamepost.com/~express/

or search for tropico sites... They will have links on them to Railraod tycoon 3 sites.
Old July 30, 2001, 23:11   #24
Rhysie
Warlord

Quote:
try http://www.railroadtycoon3.com
that might work... or go to this site:
http://www.gamepost.com/~express/

or search for tropico sites... They will have links on them to Railraod tycoon 3 sites.
Thanks... The first didn't work but the second has some info... Doesn't look like it is in production after all though
Old July 31, 2001, 12:58   #25
DarkCloud
staff

It is in production according to the designer- Read some back issues of Computer Games Magazine or visit their website
(search google for it)

The owner of PopTop began work on it a few months ago.
Old July 31, 2001, 13:03   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
And if Civ 3 fails, he always has the way out: "Well, people KNOW that I didn't really make it. Really."
I'm surprised you didn't say "after Civ 3 fails..."
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 31, 2001, 13:42   #27
Sabre2th
King

Yin may act big and tough, but deep down, he's just drooling over the chance to actually play civ3.
Old July 31, 2001, 17:11   #28
tniem
King

Local Time: 06:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
DarkCloud Said:

I think Microprose did, but not Sid Meier personally.
No, Sid definitely did make Magic: The Gathering. It was his final game at Microprose.

Did a quick check at Gamespot' Sid Legacy page and sure enough...

http://www.gamespot.com/features/sidlegacy/gather.html
Old August 1, 2001, 11:14   #29
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Alantus
Would be shocked if Poptop was involved in that case.
They said they were considering it in Computer Games Magazine.
Old August 1, 2001, 12:43   #30
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:54
PopTop isn't so good. I don't like Railroad Tycoon II and Tropico. RTII has good graphics but it doesn't play like an improvement of the first game. Too many changes and not necessary for the better. Tropico has details in the wrong places, and the attraction wears out really quick.

Yin,

I am pretty sure MicroProse started producing stuff earlier than 1985. I remember they had something called Solo Flight or Final Flight. Can't quite remember which though.

But Sid can't you remember what you have done?