Old August 4, 2001, 16:23   #121
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
DATarbell,
A point about beta-testing. There is another very important purpose to beta-testing that you overlook: playbalancing. Its also the way outsiders can help the most. Because insiders, ie people inside the company or professional testers, are going to have a very skewed way of looking at the game. Company people cos they can't look at the game in a fresh way, and professional testers cos they're playing the game in a different way (primarily hunting for bugs for instance) and have all the baggage of their professional past.

Outsiders would look at the game in a different way. And play balancing is extremely key in these kinds of games. A huge problem with the CtP games (and a big reason why the Wes mods are so good) is because they didn't properly playbalance them. That could make or break a game. With features like unique units, the importance of balancing is greater than ever. Something likely slightly tweaking the strength of a unit or building could be done very late in the game development process, I'd hope.

Further, Firaxis says they are working up game modification features, like event editors. Why not show people here at Apolyton how that is shaping up, so they could give meaningful feedback, and make sure that the tools scenario makers want are included? After all, these tools are being made mainly for they kind of people who inhabit these boards - so why keep this element of the game shrouded in secrecy at this point, outside beta or not? I sent an email to Firaxis to this effect months ago, but nothing ever came of it.
Old August 6, 2001, 19:31   #122
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
I can only hope that civ III lives up to my expectiations....
For the typical Apolytoner/hard-core Civer who has posted about this game for months if not years, I doubt the game can actually meet expectations. Even attempting to keep expectations in check, after thinking about a game for so long its difficult not to put unreasonable expectations on the game. For the average Civ-fan, I think the game will absolutely meet if not the surpass expectations put on Firaxis.

edit: spelling

Last edited by SerapisIV; August 6, 2001 at 19:57.
Old August 6, 2001, 21:42   #123
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:55
I consider myself to be a hardcore civer and I will be happy with whatever Firaxis puts out (with some exceptions)
Old August 6, 2001, 21:52   #124
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
I will be happy with whatever Firaxis puts out (with some exceptions)
Major exception #1, 2, & 3: SidGolf. Waste of precious Firaxian resources.
Old August 7, 2001, 03:49   #125
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 13:55
i'd be happy, too. i would be even more happier if civ3 gets online before i go to vacation ( which will be very soon, thank you very much
Old August 7, 2001, 09:15   #126
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Waste of precious Firaxian resources.
In our opinion, maybe, but Sid has always been interested in making new things. As near as I can tell, SidGolf is quite different from other golf games and is certainly different from anything else he's done so far. I would prefer that they get civ3 out sooner and wait on golf, but it's his choice and I'm sure they'll do a great job on both games.
Old August 7, 2001, 09:19   #127
Sabre2th
King

Did I mention that I'm a golf fanatic?

Note: I never got into the Sims or golf games, so I won't be buying SidGolf (I don't think), but I certainly understand Sid's new project.
Old August 7, 2001, 09:35   #128
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:55
I'm sure that the true fans of games such like Championship Manager will be excited by SimGolf. But, it did look recently like Firaxis are paying more attention to Gold than Civ III, at least Golf will be released earlier.
Old August 7, 2001, 10:05   #129
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
it did look recently like Firaxis are paying more attention to Gold than Civ III
Maybe, but it seems like civ3 might be the bigger money maker (this is just speculation, I know nothing about SidGolf or its audience).

OTOH, golf is a new game for Sid. While civ3 is different, it's still the same theme. Maybe he's bored with it
Old August 7, 2001, 16:24   #130
The Mad Viking
King

Local Time: 11:55
DATarbell- excellent post.

I would have liked more than 8 civs, and really, you are only getting 8 civs.

BUT-2nd 3rd and 4th most important things look like they may be taken care of- better Diplomacy, better resources/trade modelling, and (hopefully) reduced micromanagement.

I fear though, that the most important thing is not going to be addressed.

BETTER AI!!!

Please....

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi