Old July 29, 2001, 10:54   #1
Eagle one
Settler

Local Time: 11:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I want them all!!!!
I think all these fluffs have to be included to Civilization III. Because it always made a lot of fun to read the newspapers or add a new component to your palace in Civilization I. I also enjoyed to listen to your advicors, especially Elvis, in Civilization II. And I urgently missed the City View in the Call To Power series. These think make Civilization really fun and I hope they will all be included in Civilization III.
Old July 29, 2001, 11:00   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 06:55
I don't use the city view AT ALL...there's no point to it other than to see pre-drawn images of a city with buildings tossed in. The council is funny for a while, but they get old fast. Some fluff is good, but a serious effort has to be made.

Besides, the above stuff I mentioned is probably what caused the original game of civ2 to not have multiplayer...I'd hate for civ3 to not have important features due to extras.

One step at a time...
Old July 29, 2001, 17:53   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 13:55
Yes, they could give us all those fluffs in Civ1, but in civ2 they "killed" some of the fluffs (I'm not sure here, but the history at the end of the game in civ1, is that a fluff?) and changed some of the good fluffs from the first game to bad fluffs (Palace to Throne room, city view wasn't any good in civ2).

I hope they don't make the same mistakes to Civ3, please give us all those fluffs (and include some new ones)...
Old July 29, 2001, 18:23   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:55
Having a bunch of fluffs in MP is very much so needed. The fluffs give you something to do when it's not your turn in MP. The only reason why MP is not the most popular (I like both SP and MP, but MP is the best) way to play is because it's boring waiting for the other player's turn to end. Having many little extras to look at when it's not your turn gives you some incentive for waiting. (Example) Plus it adds competiveness knowing that you have the number one city and your opponent (other human player) now has the number two city. I really don't care for the fluffs too much in SP but I need to have them in MP.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 30, 2001, 05:44   #5
OneFootInTheGrave
King

I agree we need tham all!
Old July 31, 2001, 05:29   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:55
Deja Vu!
Did I say that somewhere else?
Old July 31, 2001, 05:37   #7
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

It's already been confirmed that the playback will be back in civ3

The screenshots of the city view so far look good

I think there should still be advisor movies, but more integrated in the game. (the game shouldn't freeze, but while selecting a new to build unit in example, in the upper left corner the city advisor gives you some advise in a small movie)

I don't really care about the palace or the throne room.
Old July 31, 2001, 13:51   #8
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:55
Good idea Mr. President
Old July 31, 2001, 14:38   #9
Eagle one
Settler

Do you know, what's going on in your civilization?
One problem with Civilization I + II was, that you didn't know very much about your civilization. There were some statistics in the domestic view. You had your city views but they all looked the same.

I think it would be great to have detailed informations about your civilization. Statistics which show, for exemple, your income over the last years or the life expectancy of your citizins. You even should have a history book where you can see all the events in the past. For example "1944 Battle of Normandie. Victory over the Germans".

In the city view, your cities should have there own style. You should be able to discern your city from a city of another civilization. The buildings should change when you reach a new age. For example in Civilization II the granary always looked the same. If you looked at it 2000 BC it looked like a granary in 2000 AC.

I feel that's just to boring to play only with a "board" . You should see what's going on in your civilization!
Old July 31, 2001, 15:00   #10
KrazyHorse
Deity

Just thought of an idea; winning a major war with acceptable casualties should get you a free "We Love" day. VE day, anybody?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 31, 2001, 15:05   #11
Sabre2th
King

Re: Do you know, what's going on in your civilization?
Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle one
In the city view, your cities should have there own style. You should be able to discern your city from a city of another civilization. The buildings should change when you reach a new age. For example in Civilization II the granary always looked the same. If you looked at it 2000 BC it looked like a granary in 2000 AC.
I don't know if the cities vary by civilization, but it's been confirmed that they change with the major ages.
Old July 31, 2001, 15:33   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Re: Do you know, what's going on in your civilization?
Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle one
I think it would be great to have detailed informations about your civilization. Statistics which show, for exemple, your income over the last years or the life expectancy of your citizins. You even should have a history book where you can see all the events in the past. For example "1944 Battle of Normandie. Victory over the Germans".
Could be very nice to have such one, though then it should be like youself choose when something important happen and yourself choose what to be written, because of several reasons: I guess it will be harder for the computer to find out if that is an important event or just a minor event, another reason could be like some people think different on what is an important event and what is not.

To this it could be great to have the computer calculate (or remember) how many (let's say) soldiers where lost in a battle from a certain country during a certain timescale!!!
Old July 31, 2001, 17:54   #13
Recurve
Chieftain

Elvis cuts no ice in 2001. He should be replaced with MARILYN MANSON.
Old July 31, 2001, 18:38   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Recurve
Elvis cuts no ice in 2001. He should be replaced with MARILYN MANSON.
You're not serious? are you?