Old July 29, 2001, 12:52   #1
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 13:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What to get instead of Civ3?
I just read the Jeff interview and feel very much worried about Civ3 being less that Civ2.5.

So what game do you recoomend to get now that I am very much afriad of what Civ3 will be? (And as I have stated earlier I shall buy Civ3, but playing it something I don't promise.)

Any good recommendations?
Old July 29, 2001, 14:32   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:55
Moo3, Empire Earth, Warcraft 3. They'll probably all come out around the same time, winter-spring 2002 (the same time as Civ3)
Old July 29, 2001, 15:31   #3
Colon™
Emperor

If you're searching for an empire game like civ, MOO3 and European Universalis 2 probably will be the best options. EU2 is likely to also be released in the winter of this year.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old July 29, 2001, 17:10   #4
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
My vote goes for MOO III. If it's even 1 percent better than MOO 1, it's worth the money.
Old July 29, 2001, 17:17   #5
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 03:55
Chalk up another vote for Moo3 and EU2... tho the official release date for Moo3 is "three months after civ 3 comes out".. they both share the same publisher...

Funny thing... it would take a huge amout of will power to stop me from buying civ3 no matter how much it may be disappointing... I am pathetic...
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old July 30, 2001, 05:19   #6
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 12:55
I'll just wait a while before I buy Civ3 (I have to buy another PC anyway). I'll just see what the others have to say about it and then decide if I wanna buy it.

Otherwise I'recommend you to buy Warcraft 3 which I'm sure won't be disappointing.
Old July 30, 2001, 08:36   #7
Jeje2
Prince

Moo3

About Warcraft3 - Yes I have played 1 & 2. But I don't like them so much since it's all about magic... (Settlers2 that was a game - Seettlers3 was totally destroyed by adding magics. I really hate them.)

EU2 is high on my list - played EU IGC few campains.
I just hope they make smarter AI and fix the damm "pause".

Empire Earth

And Civ3 is on my shoppinglist - how could I not buy it?
Right now I just dislike a lot what I'm hearing, seeing & reading.
Old July 30, 2001, 08:46   #8
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeje2
Moo3
I think I'm missing your point but it means Master of Orion 3. Some enthusiastists don't really appreciate the acronym
Old July 30, 2001, 13:58   #9
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Well, I wouldn't suggest this instead of Civ 3, and if you're not into magic you probably won't care for this title, but generally speaking I think that Heroes 4 is looking like a really good game!

John-SJ
Old July 30, 2001, 22:02   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 07:55
Nothing .

Civ3 will be the Game of the Year... don't worry about getting another game for months..
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 31, 2001, 16:46   #11
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Hey Jeje2, we have a Finnish commune at Offtopic, if you are interested. We are also having a scientific calculation regarding the number of Finnish Apolytoners.
Old July 31, 2001, 17:43   #12
tniem
King

Tropico is a fantastic computer game, just got it this weekend and can't stop playing.

Republic: The Revolution is an interesting gaming idea that is coming out some time next year. Basically you try to move up in power in an old Russian Republic. Looks really cool.
Old July 31, 2001, 20:42   #13
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Another possibility, supposed to be released this fall or winter (I think) would be Conquest Of The New World II.

John-SJ
Old August 1, 2001, 16:23   #14
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:55
Check out http://moo3.quicksilver.com for info on MOO3. There are quite a few things that Quicksilver is planning on doing differently in MOO3 than they did in MOO2 (MOO2 was extremely similar to Civ), and if they're implemented well then MOO3 will probably surpass Civ3 in terms of replayability and innovation.
Old August 1, 2001, 16:26   #15
Venom
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:55
Check out anything else. CivIII will be an expensive and very abrasive toilet paper not suitable for wiping your ass.
Old August 1, 2001, 18:25   #16
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Hmmm... Do you know a site where I could download Moo2 for *ahem* free? It's so darn old I can't really buy it, and it really wouldn't be worth any currency...
Old August 1, 2001, 18:33   #17
Colon™
Emperor

Well, if you aren't put off by DOS games with ancient graphics, I'd rather try out MOO1, because it has vastly less micromanagement and it doesn't take as much time to download. (only 5 MB)
You can download it here at Home of the Underdogs.

I think you'll have to set up the game to "no sound and music" if you want to play it windows. At least I wasn't able to play it otherwise. (it's a memory thing)
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 1, 2001, 18:45   #18
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Oh Colon, oh Colon, oh Colon....
I already have Moo1, why else would I want Moo2?
Old August 1, 2001, 19:10   #19
Colon™
Emperor

I don't know... I don't have EU one, but I'm none-the-less interested in EU2.

IMO moo2 isn't so much of an improvement compared to moo1. There are more races and you can edit them, the AI is better and they added a civ style city screen with improvements, but that results in an unpleasant amount of micro-management.

I think you'll have to search on warez sites to find the game, but I prefer to avoid those.
Old August 1, 2001, 19:22   #20
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I'd also avoid those sites, ya never now what you'll get. If Moo2's not that better, I'll just keep things status quo and be happy about it. Thanks anyway.
Old August 7, 2001, 05:54   #21
KaiserIsak
Warlord

Local Time: 11:55
EU II, no doubt. Number one where maybe the best game ever, and if number two just will improve a few small things it will be worth buying.
And if you dont have number one eu2 is a muzt.
i tried playing civ again some time ago, but its just nothing now compared to eu.
Old August 12, 2001, 02:04   #22
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 23:55
Right now you can get...
Get CTP 2 (out now and relatively cheap) and use the Med pack. That will keep you going for a while. It's better than Civ 2 with the mod!

You might want to to download the Trade Empires demo. See what you think of it. It's located at http://www.avault.com/pcrl/demo_temp.asp?game=trempires.

Then there's the Stronghold (castle building game) demo located at http://www.gamesdomain.com/demos/demo/1493.html.

And how about the Rails Across America demo located at http://www.flyinglab.com/rails/?contact.html.

Last edited by The Rusty Gamer; August 12, 2001 at 03:04.
Old August 12, 2001, 04:47   #23
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Get Civ3, you know it will own. Come on the cultural additions are enough for me to buy it. There will people who whine that they didnt change enough, but why change a good thing when it works?

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 22, 2001, 14:55   #24
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 12:55
Re: What to get instead of Civ3?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeje2
I just read the Jeff interview and feel very much worried about Civ3 being less than Civ2.5.
Civ2 was really Civ1.5; Civ3 will be Civ1.7.
Since the rate of change is getting smaller with each new Civ game, we will *never* arrive at Civ2. Don´t even think about Civ 2.5.
Old August 23, 2001, 00:04   #25
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:55
What about...

a real life?