yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I am in "Power Save Mode"
I'll be posting a lot less for a while.

Since I have been the point-man for pessimism for quite some time, I hope my quiet will allow you guys who are excited by what you hear more room to change the forum's tone, if you want. At this point, I feel I have the key information I was waiting for and have pretty much come to my own conclusions, though looking at the official site when it luanches could change some things, of course.

To my fellow pessimists, we now know we will have a 'conservative sequel.' Others point to Civ 2 and say: "That was pretty conservative, and look how great that was!" True. But a conservative sequel to Civ 1 is one thing. A conservative sequel 10 years AFTER Civ 1 simply isn't enough for me...and I think for many others. There was a time, of course, when I felt just an updated Civ 2 would be enough. Anyway...

Perhaps it's simply a matter that the Civ formula has gone as far as it can go without making an entirely new game? While I feel this is NOT the case, I will be very happy simply knowing that what new ideas there ARE in Civ 3 seem to have been heavily influenced by those of us here who didn't take a defeatist attitude and simply stay quiet. Even the pressure for better graphics now and in the past has been the primary push on Firaxis to promise to do better. We have expressed our ideas and given criticisms, some of which have greatly helped Civ 3 and Firaxis in general.

That is a victory for all of us. Even the naysayers will enjoy the benefits. Alright you guys who are excited about Civ 3: Post Away free from Yin's dark brooding. I will no longer post anything negative unless it is about some strikingly new item of information that crystalizes what I have been trying to say. Other than that, I've said all I can and will fade for some time:

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 30, 2001, 22:56   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
Quote:
I can and will fade for some time
* waits for the optimists to set homes on fire and dance drunk in the streets *

yin, think of the chaos leaderless pessimists will cause...

Last edited by Wiglaf; July 30, 2001 at 23:06.
Old July 30, 2001, 23:11   #3
korn469
Emperor

yin
you will be missed...i'm not sure by who though hehe just joking

i think that while you have always demanded the best from firaxis (and been the thorn in dan's side) that you have never taken a totally negative attitude, pessimistic yes...but you have always tried to back up your complaints with thoughtful arguments, and though many here might disagree i think that you have always wanted the best civ3 possible

also i know that you have personally given a great deal of time to trying to make civ3 the best game ever, and that cannot be disputed, if you had a flaw i guess it was in the tone of your arguments and not in content

i think this RFK describes you best

"Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not."
Old July 30, 2001, 23:15   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 07:58
Quote:
But a conservative sequel to Civ 1 is one thing. A conservative sequel 10 years AFTER Civ 1 simply isn't enough for me...
But this is a conservative sequal to Civ2 and SMAC. 5 years after Civ2 and 2 years after SMAC.... Remember Civ2 was a few years after Civ1.

You logic falls flat, yet again, pessimist

I give this 'Power Save Mode' 1 week...
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 30, 2001, 23:44   #5
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:58
Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
don't worry boss i will pick up your slack!!! I am full of piss and vinager (more of the first than the last) and i am always ready for an arguement(this comming from a guy who argue's with girls just to piss them off and that isn't a good thing by the way). I promise i will not blindly follow the hype of the PR machine at Firaxis(assuming they ever had one). So fear not pessimism will live on in your absense. and if the game is not the best Civ game i will go and get Sid's people and lock them up until they make that best game ever:banned:
Old July 31, 2001, 07:03   #6
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 12:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
But a conservative sequel to Civ 1 is one thing. A conservative sequel 10 years AFTER Civ 1 simply isn't enough for me...
But this is a conservative sequal to Civ2 and SMAC. 5 years after Civ2 and 2 years after SMAC.... Remember Civ2 was a few years after Civ1.

You logic falls flat, yet again, pessimist
Since civ2 was a conservative sequal to civ1, civ3 will be a conservative sequal to a conservative sequal. Thus a conservative sequal to civ1. Simple, ain't it?

Quote:
I give this 'Power Save Mode' 1 week...
Well, yin has succeeded in remaining silent once and will do so again. Yes, he is a strong human being.

Or do you know something we don't and will some new info come up soon?
Old July 31, 2001, 08:54   #7
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

RIP Yin.
Save up your energy for the next round. It will be sooner than you think. I will be here when you return with more syrupy sticky sweet prose. Good luck holding your tongue.

RAH
Different methods, same desired outcome.