Old July 31, 2001, 02:30   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 11:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
global warming
Every time the drones are in my games the global warming message says its mostly duew to them. Does this happen to everyone? What if you happen to be playing the drones?

D4
Old July 31, 2001, 07:48   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:58
I have various factions blamed for that whatever faction I am. I suspect that it has something to do with the eco-damage. The Drones, with +2 Industry, are probably the ones creating most eco-damage. Someone with more insight probably has a mathematicly accurate explanation for this
Old July 31, 2001, 07:53   #3
Black Sunrise
Prince

You hit the nail with the hammer.
The drones are producing lots of minerals and eco damage, and sinking planet for you.
Indra
Old July 31, 2001, 08:03   #4
bobyk464
Chieftain

I've seen damage due to the Cybernetic Consciousness reported, as well. Population, as well as industry, was contributing.
Old July 31, 2001, 09:34   #5
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:58
I've been playing a lot of tech stagnation games recently. This effectively delays the time between achieving a significant mineral production and the researching of the techs necessary to build tree farms and hybrid forests. I've seen virtually all factions causing global warming, including my own.

The same can happen on larger maps where research is slower.

Ditto if the AI is at war all the time: It then builds units without building tree farms, etc. Global Warming is the result.

However, Global Warming does make the game interesting, doesn't it?

Ned
Old July 31, 2001, 10:13   #6
D4everman
Prince

Global warming is only interesting when it happens to someone else.

I had a good chance of winning the game even though I would have had to fight some brutal wars. But the eco damage was way to much.

Oh well. I'm not upset. I just know that next game I need to go after the Drones first.

D4
Old July 31, 2001, 10:45   #7
bobyk464
Chieftain

I've seen one city lost due to rising ocean levels. Can't remember whose it was, but anyway, I figured I could try the same thing artificially on Domai.

Free Drone Central was on the coast, and had Recycling Tanks and no Pressure Dome. So I sent over a quantity of sea formers from here and there to play ball and lower the ocean floor to flood him out.

When everyone was in place, just outside of his borders and out of sensor range, and one last check showed that there was still no Pressure Dome (either complete or under construction) in the base, I moved them in.

The charge incurred at the beginning of the operation was something a bit over 2700 credits. I had enough formers to complete the task in one turn; like 8 or so. Result? Free Drone Central was now a sea base, sitting pretty right off Domai's coast. I looked in the base again. The Recycling Tanks had been replaced with a Pressure Dome. Anyone else ever see this phenomenon?
Old July 31, 2001, 11:34   #8
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:58
Quote:
Originally posted by bobyk464
The Recycling Tanks had been replaced with a Pressure Dome. Anyone else ever see this phenomenon?
Constantly. It's enough to drive you to drink [takes a drink]. Once, just for fun, I was sinking a vanquished Yang rather than finishing him off the quick way. In more than half of the tries, pressure domes would magically appear in his doomed bases as the formers finished.
Old July 31, 2001, 19:15   #9
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 06:58
I've never seen P-domes magically appear, but, the AI is smart enough to switch production to them if it's base square is threatened, or in some instances, if a square in it's base-radius is threatened.

I've been experimenting a lot with this for Aldebaran as the AI ecodamages quite a bit (increased mineral production). I have to watch a lot of auto-games to fine tune the AI strategy, and when a golobal warming message comes up I do a general survey around the map. If you move the cursor over 'low' areas that are going to be flooded (and you'll noticee a little warning 'endangered!'), you can get an idea of who's going to be affected. Next turn, invariably, the AI switches production to P-domes in those bases! I was amazed. I suspect that you see the domes magically appear b/c the AI was working on a larger build before the warning came. When it changes production, the AI can use those minerals to build a P-dome and then switch back to whatever it was building before. In this respect it's magic as the AI 'cheats' the retool-strictness that a human player would have to deal with (at least on Transcend level).

-Smack

P.S. If you're desparate to sink an AI land city, there's always a team of 8 drop-super formers to land next to their base...terraform down!
Old July 31, 2001, 20:12   #10
Fitz
King

Preassure domes appearing when a base is artificially lowered (ie by formers) in AI bases is a known affect. Not 100% of the time tho.

I have no idea if it can happen to humans, or if it can happen when the base is on a square that is sunk to rising seas. I imagine there is a 0 chance of it happening to a base square that is washed due to rising seas, and that bases that are washed are always destroyed.

Do a search through old threads for 'rising sea levels' etc and see what you get. Don't forget to check the archives.

P.S. - For those who don't know what washing is:

When a land square is reduce to one level, that reduction is only permenant providing that ALL of the surrounding squares are no more that one level higher. If this is not the case (ie 2 levels to some), the square gains altitude to raise it back up on level.

If the original square was coastal, it is temporarily under water before it is restored to coastal. Any bases and/or units are destroyed. This is usually referred to as washing.
Old July 31, 2001, 21:28   #11
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 12:58
Pressure domes will always appear in bases over a certain size that are submerged due to rising sea levels. Hope someone else can confirm this, but I think the base has to be over size 11? Thereabouts, anyway, it's a while since I had to worry about this.

There is a significant loss of population in these large bases (I think perhaps 10 pop, but again it would be good if someone with a better memory could confirm) - a dome appears from nowhere, there is serious pop loss, but the base survives. This works for human players, as well as the AI.

It should also be noted that the tile "wash" described by Fitz can also occur on squares well above sea level, and well above endangered level. Bases on these squares are not threatened, but terraforming is destroyed and units can be washed away even on squares that should, in theory, be perfectly safe. Beware !
Old July 31, 2001, 21:32   #12
Ned
King

Guys, It has often happened to me that I do not have a P-dome in base. Larger cities lose half their population and end up with a P-dome. Smaller cities (under 7?) are washed away, Gone with the Waves. Ned