Old July 31, 2001, 13:17   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Limited Edition" & "Civer's Edition": Remember WAY back
Now, I said I wouldn't post anything negative unless it was warranted by new information. Well, how about something POSITIVE? From Yin? Absolutely. This made me VERY happy today. From a thread I started WAY back, notice the date: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum6/HTML/001203.html

"Civer's Edition": How much would you pay?

posted March 09, 2000 03:29

When Ultima9 came out, I jumped at the chance to buy the Dragon Edition. It included a cool (old-school) cloth map, game music on a separate audio CD, "simulated leather" spellbook and manual, 8 tarrot cards, an ankh, Ultimas 1-8 on a separate disk, a letter of thanks from RG, and a HUGE box! I gladly paid $70+ for it.
[Note: The game itself was buggy, the box so damn big that stuff rolled around inside and got messy and bent, the ankh was REALLY cheap, the tarrot cards cartoony, the best of previous Ultimas unplayable under Windows, and they released an "enhanced making of U9 cd" a few weeks later instead of in the box--which pretty much ruined the experience.]

BUT...

I think a "Civer Edition" Civ3 would simply be awesome.

How much would I pay?: approximately $70-80

What would I want to see inside it?:
  1. A game CD with a cool map of the world on it.
  2. Civ1 and 2 on a special "Civ Collector's" CD, with the original manuals in .pdf format (only if some deal could be struck with Microprose, of course).
  3. A cloth map of the world (or a great fold-out with cool historical facts and a timeline on the back).
  4. A "Making of Civ3" CD which includes the music tracks and sound effects.
  5. A paperback History of the World by some well-known historian.
  6. I wonder how much it would cost to put in a Britannica "History of the World" or "History of War" CD in the box?
  7. A pewter figurine (each box is different!). You would get one of the follwing: A globe; a phalanx; a bomber; a nuclear missile; or a settler. 1000 lucky fans would get ALL of them! Of course, each one would have "CivIII" stamped on it somewhere.
  8. A letter from Sid, Jeff and Firaxis. You know, one of those simulated signature ones telling us how cool it's been working on the game and how great the Civ fans are. =)
How about you? What would you pay? What would you want in that box?

July 31, 2000: Firaxis tells us more about the "Limited Edition":

Quote:
We're still working out the final details, but it'll come in a very nice tin with the game, manual, a "Making of Civ III" CD and some other cool stuff.

COOL! I must say, this is an outstanding decision, Firaxis! Amazing! I had originally thought the LE would only have a strat guide, but what you're talking about now sounded oddly familiar. Something like this just might be the secret to getting crusty old pessimists like me to kick in the extra money to cap off the trilogy. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will. Damn, caught in my own trap.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Last edited by yin26; July 31, 2001 at 13:23.
Old July 31, 2001, 13:20   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Just in case you missed it, did anybody catch #4 on my list?

Old July 31, 2001, 13:31   #3
Sabre2th
King

Are you proud of yourself yin? This almost makes up for your part in SidGolf.
Old July 31, 2001, 17:00   #4
lord of the mark
Deity

and it should include a sidgolf demo as well
Old July 31, 2001, 17:14   #5
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Just in case you missed it, did anybody catch #4 on my list?
They're watching you, yin

Next thing ya know you'll have a spot in the credits. Do you honestly think they feed on your suggestions? This should be a news item
Old July 31, 2001, 22:43   #6
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Of course, it's quite easy to believe they had this thought long before this thread appeared, but if we even helped a little to convince them that the idea is a good one, then Apolyton SHOULD be proud. I really hope they learn the lesson from U9, though. I think they must have.

Like I said, I have to buy the game now if only for nostalgic reasons.

Old August 1, 2001, 00:02   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:59
Ah well, what can I say, other than Sid's lurking about in the forums
Old August 1, 2001, 01:48   #8
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah, a "Making Of" CD should definitely not be given to the untrained masses... they might find out all the ugly details that Firaxis wants kept quiet among the uninformed.

"Then Brian Reynolds, also known as the Chariot-slayer, foully betrayed our coalition. I immediately challenged him to a duel (click here to see video!), but after but one knick, he foolishly ran off before we could cleave him in twain- but not before the vile sabotage was done, and progress on Civ3 was set back by generations. We needed a mighty effort to complete our task- we needed to find the Holy Gravship which contained the Almighty Code of Healing, last rumoured to be seen on the Meier continent. Sadly enough The Holy Gravship's Code of Healing turned out to be a Code of Laws, reused from CivI. But what the heck, we installed it in our computers anyway. The results were amazing! But since we had no Network Node at our Hunt Valley base, we could not extract all the secrets possible. So a conservative sequel it was. But the Code did have one important prophecy... Once we get the proper funding from Civ3, we shall fully decipher the contents of our finds, and the traitor Reynolds shall be brought to Divine Justice, and Civ 4 shall be proclaimed throughout the land, and lo, there will be peace that will last a thousand years."

If they can deliver a Making-Of CD like that, sign me up for Limited Edition.
Old August 1, 2001, 05:18   #9
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 13:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Ah well, what can I say, other than Sid's lurking about in the forums
Dont you realize, people.....Sid is....Yin!!!!
Old August 1, 2001, 05:54   #10
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:59
Heh, now that would be funny

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 1, 2001, 07:13   #11
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:59
But at least we have the proof of Sid visiting Apolyton forums on a regular basis.
Old August 1, 2001, 07:57   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

"Yin" 3 letters

"Sid" also 3 letters

Now, spell it backwards: DISNIY = DISNEY.

If anybody is curious about my next project, just keep that in mind. I'm amazed nobody noticed. I was hoping it would be more obvious. Well, I had you guys going a good, long while! Do you think I somehow "predicted" the golf game and Civ 3 limited edition? Those were HINTS to you guys as to what was coming, but nobody got it. Ah, well. It's hard to convey certain things via the Net.

By the way, all your help getting me to put that bear of a List together was OUTSTANDING! I knew if you thought you were giving suggestions to "Sid" himself that you guys would hold back instead of brainstorming. I look forward to making some official 'Thank You's closer to release time.

But I think the highlight was when I asked Markos to strip me of my moderatorship for reposting Jeff Morris' article about bugs. LOL! Didn't you guys think that made NO sense at the time? Well now you know why. I couldn't put in the time to moderate the forums, so I had to do something REMOTELY worth being stripped of the title. That one was the best I could think of. My thanks to Markos for being such a good sport and taking some heat.

In case anybody is wondering about the "old Yin" from SMAC days, he mailed me one day and apologized, saying he'd post under a new identity from then on and hoped I'd understand he was just trying to help. Of course I understood but asked if I could keep the name "Yin" to post under later on. We've both been having great laughs since.

I probably shouldn't have admitted to all this since I've never had such a good stress release in my life, and all of us here just got such great laughs at all of it, and you guys have been the best. Now that you know who I am, I guess I'll *really* have to post less now, eh?

P.S.: I wonder if anybody can guess WHICH kind of Disney game? Don't say Dinos...

Last edited by yin26; August 1, 2001 at 08:08.
Old August 1, 2001, 09:40   #13
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 05:59
Quote:
We're still working out the final details, but it'll come in a very nice tin with the game, manual, a "Making of Civ III" CD and some other cool stuff.
You mean we have to get LE to get the MANUAL?!!!!

Hehe, just kidding, i know what you meant.

-theonion.com
Old August 1, 2001, 11:05   #14
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I probably shouldn't have admitted to all this since I've never had such a good stress release in my life, and all of us here just got such great laughs at all of it, and you guys have been the best. Now that you know who I am, I guess I'll *really* have to post less now, eh?
He's joking, yeah?

Quote:
P.S.: I wonder if anybody can guess WHICH kind of Disney game? Don't say Dinos...
Sleeping Beauty

Or more probably The Lion King
Old August 1, 2001, 11:10   #15
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

He's joking, yeah?
<
He's not

YIN = SID
Old August 1, 2001, 11:11   #16
Sabre2th
King

Sid is a genius. All this time posting as Yin, making pessimistic people think the game would suck. Yep, this Yin character is a genius.
Old August 1, 2001, 12:08   #17
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Wow! And here all this time I have thought that Yin was some Jerk who is just always negative about everything and won't give anybody or anything a chance!! I should have kept in mind that this is Sid we are talking about and that is just like him to do something like that! He even headed up the Official Apolyton Pessimism Club for a little (until Markos closed it down!) Great job Sid! I don't think anybody here had a clue!! So all this time you have been sitting here reading our complaints and our begging sessions to Firaxis pleading that they give us information on something, and here you have been with all that information! Oh well, I would prefer to be kept in suspens about a lot of the game, that way when it come out I can be amazed by how wonderful it is!
Old August 1, 2001, 16:18   #18
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
I ... have no words .....

this actually .... wow...

way to go ....

I haven't been posting in the civ forums for a long time , but I was reading and keeping track all the time ...
wow ... amazing ...

I would like to personally to thank you , Sid , for months of gameplay .

amazing ...

*stands up and leaves , shaking his head in disbelieve*
Old August 2, 2001, 00:08   #19
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 21:59
I cannot believe this!!

I was actually talking to Sid Mier!

Either that or.....Yin is really just pulling on everyones legs in a very very big way.
Old August 2, 2001, 01:50   #20
Windborne
Settler

Local Time: 11:59
I'll believe YIn is Sid when sid comes out and says in on the firaxis site. Until then I'm not going to kiss yins smelly feet, I might catch something.
Old August 2, 2001, 02:26   #21
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 21:59
lol, it's gotta be him. It all makes sense now.
Old August 8, 2001, 02:32   #22
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
"Yin" 3 letters

"Sid" also 3 letters

In case anybody is wondering about the "old Yin" from SMAC days, he mailed me one day and apologized, saying he'd post under a new identity from then on and hoped I'd understand he was just trying to help. Of course I understood but asked if I could keep the name "Yin" to post under later on. We've both been having great laughs since.
Oh my God! You're so shocked by Civ III weak points that you lose your mind!
What a tragedy! The man once helped to realize so great task as The Longest Incredible Suggestions Thorah of all the TBS games ever is now gone forever!

Now, can someone send a message to the Seul equivalent to 911 emergency number? Meantime Yin, if you can listen to me, take two of the brown pills. No, not those yellow, the browns!
Old August 8, 2001, 15:16   #23
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

are people still considering that crap might be true? it's not even funny, why are you guys even talking about it?
Old August 8, 2001, 15:31   #24
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

are people still considering that crap might be true? it's not even funny, why are you guys even talking about it?
Old August 8, 2001, 15:58   #25
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 08:59
yeah...

at least somebody here must be Sid...

:banned: <- hadn't seen that one

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old August 8, 2001, 17:22   #26
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:59
Hmmm, I really don't know what to think about the Yin=Sid connection.

Hey Markos, any input from your court concerning this dilemma?
Old August 8, 2001, 19:19   #27
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Heh, funny one Sid *ahem* Yin

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 8, 2001, 23:04   #28
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

ooh ooh i have an idea .... maybe.... ITS NOT #^@%@^$#% TRUE!@!!!! ever consider that???

Im sorry, but its just not true. it just cant be. sid meier would not have enough time to do all that posting, and even moderating Its got to be a load of bs. if it isn't, you fooled me way too well and too long, sid, and im sorry, but i really believe that its not possible that yin is sid. im with whoever said that i want to see it somewhere official (ala the firaxis site)