Old July 31, 2001, 17:07   #1
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 05:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't understand SMAC
I've had SMAC for awhile now, but I haven't been able to get into it. (I am a Civ fan.) I can't tell what the graphics are, the map seems too small and not very pretty, and it seems to take forever for anything to happen.

Any suggestions on how to get into the game?

Miznia
:banned:
Old July 31, 2001, 19:51   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 04:59
Maps too small? Not sure if you need to zoom in or if you need to create larger sized world in the setup options. SMAC is notorious for bad starting seeding. Often you will be in a cluster of about five factions with most of the rest of the planet empty.

Is it the science fiction aspect of the game you find unappealing? No amount of tweaking the settings will help you if that is the case. If you are okay with sci-fi I recommend playing a game right through to Transcendance once. If you are not hooked by then you will probably never be.
Old July 31, 2001, 22:03   #3
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Civ/AC
Despite my login ( ), I used to and to some extent still do, have that feeling. The map isn't too bad for me. The units aren't pretty, but ya don't play it for the graphics, after all. And I do agree with a big point you made: the game is slow. Tweaking some of the options does ease the pain though.

Bottom line: Alpha Centauri caters to a different crowd than civ. If you still can't get into it, the game just isn't for you. Personally I love civ2 and smac at the same time, but for most people it's one or the other .

Watch some babylon 5 in the meantime
Old August 1, 2001, 00:40   #4
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 11:59

Hey SMACed

Thats what got me on my current SMAX binge! Watching my old tapes of Babylon Five! (Which IMHO was a better show than Trek.) The backstabbing, rising and falling alliances and hidden dangers in that show reminded me a lot of SMAX.

D4